Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Army, navy or airforce?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've always had a fascination for the Army Air Corps. Not sure where it came from. Perhaps it was from reading Peanuts as an impressionable youngster, watching Snoopy fly his doghouse around, cursing the Red Baron. That stemmed into books about WWI aviation, then gifts from relatives relating to WWII aviation, and it grew from there. I can't pin it down exactly.

I only in the past few years discovered I'm a distant relative of Col (posthumously Bg. gen.) Alfred J. Lyon, whose command pilot wings I have. My grandfather was in the 69th infantry division during WWII, but never went overseas.

I've branched out, and in the last year my interest has waned as I tighten down the thumb screws and pursue a career(irony; a career in aviation and with the USAF). My closet contains Air Corps, infantry, Navy, Marines, and RAF. I don't think I've worn any of it in nearly a year, whereas I used to find a reason every month, sometimes twice each month.

Flight represents the ultimate freedom - breaking free of the earth, rising above the rest of the world and soaring into the sun. And to quote Samuel Johnson, 'Every man thinks meanly of himself for having never been a soldier.' Combine the two, and you've the yearning of probably every young man (at some point in his life) in the past 90 years.

Hondo

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
I've always had a fascination for the Army Air Corps. Not sure where it came from. Perhaps it was from reading Peanuts as an impressionable youngster, watching Snoopy fly his doghouse around, cursing the Red Baron. That stemmed into books about WWI aviation, then gifts from relatives relating to WWII aviation, and it grew from there. I can't pin it down exactly.

I only in the past few years discovered I'm a distant relative of Col (posthumously Bg. gen.) Alfred J. Lyon, whose command pilot wings I have. My grandfather was in the 69th infantry division during WWII, but never went overseas.

I've branched out, and in the last year my interest has waned as I tighten down the thumb screws and pursue a career(irony; a career in aviation and with the USAF). My closet contains Air Corps, infantry, Navy, Marines, and RAF. I don't think I've worn any of it in nearly a year, whereas I used to find a reason every month, sometimes twice each month.

Flight represents the ultimate freedom - breaking free of the earth, rising above the rest of the world and soaring into the sun. And to quote Samuel Johnson, 'Every man thinks meanly of himself for having never been a soldier.' Combine the two, and you've the yearning of probably every young man (at some point in his life) in the past 90 years.

I feel honored to be in such good company, I've had this fascination as well with the Army Air Corps. ever since I was kid, watching the old 12 O'clock High series on TV and living next or near U.S. Naval Air base during the Viet Nam war hooked me and seeing how my Dad was in the Navy during WWII, as a teen, I took a wrong path as all kids do sometime, but stuck in the back of my mind was learning about WWII, B-17's, and the thrill to finally ride in one.
Not being a flyer I settle for day dreaming, got an old beat up little mazda pu, its an old rickey, herky jerky truck, bumpy feeling when driving fast, almost feels like being in cockpit of a B-17 (I kid you not its funny feeling) when you’re a kid and you saw a B-17 on TV your first impression is there’s a lot of room, and it’s quiet. Oh boy are you wrong and in for a surprise! It’s a loud bumpy ride, especially if your surround by flack fire, I’m so awestruck are those who really flew these during the war, the courage and nerve, guts these guys had and those who maintained them, the ground crews.
If I could turn back the hands of time, I’d get my pilot wings, on single or wing engine birds, I’m not a speed freak (jets) but propellers.
Gregory Peck’s 12 O’Clock High, gets to me, the opening scene of Dean Jagger recalling planes flying by and the old Glen Miller/Andrew sisters song “Don’t sit under the apple tree” playing, I’ve felt the same when on runway of B-17’s in a cloudy cold morning, its an awesome feeling, almost brings a tear. So you can tell I'll take Army Air Corps. it was great era.
Those of you who fly or have wings, I am honored and proud to be in good company, wish you many safe flights. Thank a Vet! :)

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Army Air Force (Corps)

AAF all the way. The reason is that my father was in the 13th Air Force is the South Pacific during WWII. I now do his unit for reenacting and living history. I was given command of the 13th Air Force Living History Detachment by the Veterans of the 13th "Jungle" Air Force. I am leaving today to go to Dayton, OH for the 13th Air Force Veterans Association Reunion. We are dedicating the 13th Air Force Memorial at the Air Force Museum on Friday. I am also an officer of the Association. They made me their membership manager. A very great honor. On a sad note, my Father passed away on 20 July 2006. This is the first reunion that he has missed in 6 years. He is my hero. My new wife and my mother are going with me and we will be donating a check in his memory to the unit.

Eric "Gray Ghost" Russ,
Proud Son of Asa McDonald Russ aka Bullet,
HQ Squadron, XIII Fighter Command, 13th "Jungle" Air Force

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My condolances for your father, my congratulations for your new marriage and my deepest respect for your dedication to your father's legacy and service.

Nashoba

One Too Many
United States Marine Corps.
But I'm biased, I married a marine....and they have by far the BEST dress uniform. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a man in uniform, especially those dress blues.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I mostly lean towards the Air Corps and Air Force, but I have plenty of respect for the regular Army, and the Navy and Marines too.

I never served myself, but both of my parents are WWII vets. Both were ultimately sergeants: my Dad in the Army Air Corps, and my Mom in the Marines. Neither saw any action, but it was obviously the central character-building experience of their early lives...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters