Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arrived - Aero LHB - Cordovan CXL Steerhide!

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
That looks superb. I'll be interested to hear how the quilt lining wears over time: I'm giving serious consideration to having that in a bike jacket in due course - possibly even a Barnstormer. It certainly looks really cool.

This is actually the third Aero jacket that I've had with the quilted lining. I had a LHB in black FQHH with a blue/green lining and I still have a 1950's black FQHH with a kind of 'brick' color which I obtained about 15 years ago. I've attached a few images of each - the one with the brick lining is worn on occasion and the lining is still in pristine condition. I would imagine that more frequent wear would have taken a greater toll on the lining. The one with the blue/green lining was wonderful but way too stiff and it departed. I had wanted another LHB for some time and now I have it - this new one is really something special.

long-halfbelt-2.JPG

The above LHB with the blue/green quilted lining peeking out at the top - this is the only image I have of this long gone gem.

HB-6.jpg

Above is the 1950's HB that I obtained about 15 years ago - this is a recent image and the quilted lining is still like new.

As you can see I prefer a quilted lining to the other available choices although many of the wool linings I have seen on this forum are really sporty and as a rule compliment the jacket and wearer.

As this lining is a bit thicker than the usual wool (exclusive of the shearling) it does provide a bit more insulation.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a great affordable intermediate between wool and shearling. I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of it.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Mickiemac congratulations, it seems a great jacket. How does this compare, sizewise, to your 50's HB?

The 50's HB is larger (sz 48) vice the LHB which is sz 46. The size is one up from what I could wear but I don't like being constricted with a just right size. The HB is quite roomy but the LHB fits slightly better. Between the two, I really really like the LHB - a lot!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Mickiemac congratulations, it seems a great jacket. How does this compare, sizewise, to your 50's HB?

Hmmm, Sloan I think the guy who got this is not happy, I think this jacket is on the Aero's sale page (http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3021)

They are patently a lunatic! Not sure of that sleeve length, either. I would say it looks closer to 25"/26". Whoever picks it up will be getting a gem. The original purchaser will be kicking themselves!

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Was wondering where it stood in regards to warmth compared to heavy Tartan vs alpaca....thanks

I really can't compare the quilted versus the tartan/alpaca as far as warmth goes but since there are layers associated with the quilting it certainly provides an extra measure of insulation/padding. Of course if the jacket fits tightly, then the lining would have less of an impact on warmth since wool is a very good insulator. I guess if you have a non Aero jacket that has a quilted nylon (or similar) then you could base your evaluation on one of those vs. a wool lined Aero.

I have a U.S. Authentic M-444 sheepskin coat that I bought many years ago. I've had lots of experience with that coat in very cold weather and it does provide a very warm environment against the cold. I don't get to wear it much being in a more temperate climate but when it's bitter cold I do press the M-444 into service. A very impressive coat in appearance and capability.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks awesome and the fit is great - you don't want a super trim fit in these longer jackets.

Also, nice to see a longer length new jacket around here, these were mighty popular back in the mid to late noughties here on the Lounge and are very typical of the Golden Era in terms of design and length.

Well done!

Edward

Bartender
Thanks; those lokk fantastic... especially the blue green. Sounds like it might be a great option for a bike jacket style too. Worth considering, as the bike jackets I have so far are mostly the lighter lining types...

This is actually the third Aero jacket that I've had with the quilted lining. I had a LHB in black FQHH with a blue/green lining and I still have a 1950's black FQHH with a kind of 'brick' color which I obtained about 15 years ago. I've attached a few images of each - the one with the brick lining is worn on occasion and the lining is still in pristine condition. I would imagine that more frequent wear would have taken a greater toll on the lining. The one with the blue/green lining was wonderful but way too stiff and it departed. I had wanted another LHB for some time and now I have it - this new one is really something special.

View attachment 49997

The above LHB with the blue/green quilted lining peeking out at the top - this is the only image I have of this long gone gem.

View attachment 49998

Above is the 1950's HB that I obtained about 15 years ago - this is a recent image and the quilted lining is still like new.

As you can see I prefer a quilted lining to the other available choices although many of the wool linings I have seen on this forum are really sporty and as a rule compliment the jacket and wearer.

As this lining is a bit thicker than the usual wool (exclusive of the shearling) it does provide a bit more insulation.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The 50's HB is larger (sz 48) vice the LHB which is sz 46. The size is one up from what I could wear but I don't like being constricted with a just right size. The HB is quite roomy but the LHB fits slightly better. Between the two, I really really like the LHB - a lot!

I'm asking because I'm thinking of a long half belt with shearling body lining, fur collar and cord or quilted lining for the sleeves...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland