Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett + Kind Friend = THIS

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OH, "NICE HAT"

The holes are usually punched with a patterned die, which neatly cuts out the holes. Using a "dentist's drill" or Dremel tool won't work. The felt "fuzzes" and you don't get a clean hole. Yes, a laser will work, but you need an expensive machine which does engraving, like those found in your typical trophy shop. Unfortunately, the laser burns. You would not have clean holes, only burnt ones. No, I suspect that Mr. C used some type of die, and backed the inside of the hat on a wood block. Struck a blow for vintage, cutting the pattern. It is risky, as you don't line up perfectly, it is not something that you can "undo".

Anyway, very nice hat.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
A dull attempt..

Andykev said:
The holes are usually punched with a patterned die, which neatly cuts out the holes. Using a "dentist's drill" or Dremel tool won't work. The felt "fuzzes" and you don't get a clean hole. Yes, a laser will work, but you need an expensive machine which does engraving, like those found in your typical trophy shop. Unfortunately, the laser burns. You would not have clean holes, only burnt ones. No, I suspect that Mr. C used some type of die, and backed the inside of the hat on a wood block. Struck a blow for vintage, cutting the pattern. It is risky, as you don't line up perfectly, it is not something that you can "undo".

Anyway, very nice hat.

Had "Tongue-firmly-in-cheek", Andykev. (should have used :) , I guess) Trying to key off of MC's "technology" reference by asking about "increasing" levels of technology. Ah, well, Humor; another field best left to professionals. [huh]

- Mark

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great Hat!

Dear Marc,

Congratulations.
The Hat matches you excellently.
BTW how is it to wear in the summer?
It is very tasteful.
Art, congratulations too.

Regards.:eusa_clap

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would also like to know how you made the holes. PM if you prefer.
I have been looking into this for a while. Assuming that a custom
die is not affordable, I am planning to use leather hole punches.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Very light gray - how?

I've been looking for a fedora in this color. But I don't want one full of powder to get that verr light gray / silver color. Is the fur bleached or dyed? Anyone know of non-custom (e.g. Akubra) hats in very light grays for comparison?

Thanks!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
So Marc, is the "higher technology" to which you allude involve a computer program like, say, Photoshop?

tonyb -- for a number of reasons, I think you've got this one right...!

Cheers,
JtL

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you for posting this Marc, you wear it well my friend.

Davidson, for the record, I never use powders or color enhancers on my hats. If the felt doesn't measure up, I don't use it, as attested by my pile of ( oh lord don't make me look at those) bodies I bought but won't use. the felt is bleached, then dyed to color when pastels (light colors) and just dyed over natural when darker colors.
Part of the color is the use of pure beaver as it gives a different color than hare so comparisons aren't going to be accurate unless the felt is pure.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
David , that term can be used in two different context's. First, where the crown meets the brim is called the "bandline" or some call it the "brim break". Second context could be where the brim is flipped down in the front and where it starts the "break" at.
I've gone back over the posts and don't see where anyone has said this so I assume you are getting that from the carnival barker of hatters. Please know that there was never a hat made of any quality that didn't come from his hands ( in his humble opinion) and mine are a specially juicy target for his criticism. If I am correct in your source, it simply means that he can't rise to the quality and needs to knock it down to his.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
Art you naughty boy! You peaked! So much hate, but such nice hats! Oh well, I am trying to pick up what I can. Remember six weeks and the clock is ticking! Tic toc tic toc...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL..actually I haven't David, I just know the pattern. Whenever something idiotic is said about my work it's a pretty easy guess where it comes from. Professional hatters don't need to do what he does. Come on in, step right up,,,,,SEE the Sterling Beaver!!! He dances, he prances, he SPINS like a top. Since you are trying to learn, did you know that there is no such thing as Sterling beaver? That's strictly a sales pitch. Did you know that no felter in the world takes only the belly hair from a beaver to make felt? There is no such sorting equipment, another sales pitch. Did you know there is no such thing as 2000 grit sandpaper? It's impossible to bond that fine to paper...yet he uses it. Did you know to properly make a sweatband takes about 1/2 hour. Any more and the hatter is incompetent.
So many lies...so little time

David Bresch

Familiar Face
You hatters make the elegant clothing people look bucolic! Well, sales pitches go right over my head. Just get me my lovely hat in 6 weeks! I am patient but a little OCD concerning deadlines...are there any non-custom hats you recommend Art? Guerra? Akubra? Just curious. I saw a modern Borsalino and it looked like junk to me but what do I know, plus I am sure they make many different qualities.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Believe me David, there is no such animosity amongst ANY other hatter in the country. I have had so many good experiences with hatters, willing to share both time, resources, knowledge, as I do with them. It isn't uncommon to get a call from another hatters saying..."Hey Art, I'm out of white ribbon & I can't find it", help...and I send the ribbon I have so they can finish the hat. I know I can do the same with most. The only one spewing bile is the one you are reading. Like I said, real hatters need only to let their work do the talking, fake ones have to shout how great they are to the hilltops.
As far as non customs David, the concensus is that right now Akubra makes the best for the least dollars. I've had many in my hands and have never been impressed but please remember that I am jaded toward quality. I actually know very little about modern hats as that isn't what I've studied and my experience has been with vintage, so modern Stetson can't compare with Vintage Stetson, as well as Borsalino can't compare with pre 1984 Borsalino. As far as mass market there really are only a few names making ALL the production hats. Akubra seems to have set themselves apart in that regard.
Others here would know much more about specific styles (names like "Temple") etc and can give you reviews. I haven't bought a new hat in years so I really can't be objective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo