Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Haven't posted here in ages. I have two Art Fawcett hats and I wear them all the time. Spent the whole Winter in my Black Cherry and I'm starting to get the itch to get a third. I have an old dobbs stingy (well 2" not like the trendy 1" stingy they sell at the mall) that is probably my favorite hat ON my own head. But its not nearly as comfortable as my VS's... I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade it to the Vintage Silhouettes treatment. Especially after I left it at Starbucks the other day and nearly had a meltdown trying to find it (all for a $20 ebay hat)

I love all your Black Cherry's. I was lucky enough to get one of the (i think?) first ones and it is truly sweet.

I wonder if since Art already has my head measurements i can just mail him the hat and he can work from it to create a replica that fits me flawlessy. Hmmm.. getting that itch again...

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if since Art already has my head measurements i can just mail him the hat and he can work from it to create a replica that fits me flawlessy. Hmmm.. getting that itch again...

I am sure he will say "piece of cake", like he told me when he made a duplicate of one that I wanted! Art is the Master Hatter!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Hi

Ordinary Guy's matching shirt and hat look great, but PERSONALLY I'll probably leave the black cherry and oxblood's to the ribbon not the whole hat. I own mountains of Khaki, Brown, and Olive colored clothing, and NOTHING that would match that hat. It would have matched my 1984 Gran Prix though...

Later

Actually, all you mentioned WOULD match that hat.

As Stacy would say on What Not to Wear, "it doesn't have to match, it has to go".

Tom

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Is it very orangey up close and in person?

VSRustmarch2010firstpicsprofile13.jpg

and here' a comparison to oxblood. Both taken outside

VSOxbloodApril2010oxbloodandrust11.jpg

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Actually, all you mentioned WOULD match that hat.

As Stacy would say on What Not to Wear, "it doesn't have to match, it has to go".

Tom
Absolutely correct. Matching (or exact matching actually) is for those with no talent for dressing,....like Regis Philbin or Donald Trump - two men who have NO idea how to dress (or they need to fire whomever IS dressing them.)

Think of Black Cherry as a "dark" color and use it like you would a dark brown hat or a navy hat or a charcoal or black hat. My Sunset color hat is a "light" color, in the tan family. I would wear that wherever I would wear a tan hat or brown hat - it would go with most Spring, Summer and Fall clothing. Neophyte is also correct about harmonize rather than match.

When in doubt, check with your wife or significant other. Most (not all) women are pretty good with color combo's (and you'll get points for asking). :p:)

Cliff

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
"Cream City"

Art finished my first hat just in time to ship it ahead for the FedoraFest in Texas. Many thanks for getting it done in time Art!!! I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with my "Cream City". The Milwaukee based theme I gave Art was a cream city brick color (Mojave) with a Pabst Blue Ribbon. I also wanted some brown accents to go with my Aero jacket. Crown is a 60 fedora block, 12 ligne ribbon, 2.5" brim with 2 stitch line accents. The finish turned out spectacular. Love it Art. The color is closest to the center dent pic. The color is washed out in the pics that look more ivory.

B

art_2.jpg

art_3.jpg

art_4.jpg

art_5.jpg

art_6.jpg

art_7.jpg

art_8.jpg

art_9.jpg

art_10.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Out of this world! I particularly like the simple center dent on it.

Is it an underwelted brim? Or does it just has the decorative stitching?

I have a general question for you guys... Buler, you referred to a #60 block. Are block numbers universal across the trade, and what do the numbers signify?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Out of this world! I particularly like the simple center dent on it.

Is it an underwelted brim? Or does it just has the decorative stitching?

I have a general question for you guys... Buler, you referred to a #60 block. Are block numbers universal across the trade, and what do the numbers signify?

Thanks flute. Its not an underwelt. I like raw brims. Also wanted accent stitching that was a shade or 2 darker than the felt. You don't see that done very often. The 60 block, like the 52 is a very straight sided block. I'm not sure if there is any meaning behind the number itself, but I believe its used to signify the dimensions/profile of the block.

B

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful hat buler, I really like the colours and the brim treatment with the stitching.
I think Art's hats go nicely with a simple center crease like this.
Great job!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Art finished my first hat just in time to ship it ahead for the FedoraFest in Texas. Many thanks for getting it done in time Art!!! I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with my "Cream City". The Milwaukee based theme I gave Art was a cream city brick color (Mojave) with a Pabst Blue Ribbon. I also wanted some brown accents to go with my Aero jacket. Crown is a 60 fedora block, 12 ligne ribbon, 2.5" brim with 2 stitch line accents. The finish turned out spectacular. Love it Art. The color is closest to the center dent pic. The color is washed out in the pics that look more ivory.

B
An instant classic beauty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner