Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

delectans

Call Me a Cab
really Alan? Should he NOT have his own thread to show of his work? Simply because it's a hat I built for him doesn't mean I can claim anything from it.

Based upon Ale's comment it seems clear to me that he felt(from your PM) that he had offended you, and also felt it necessary to move the photos to a separate thread. He did not state that he was encouraged to start a separate thread to showcase his work. Ale indicated exactly what he did with the hat, so I cannot imagine anyone mis-attributing the author of the work, even if the photos were retained in this thread.

I am happy for both you and Ale if no offense was taken on your part. I greatly respect and value your work(love my Granite Satin finish VS), and also hold Ale's intrepid spirit in high regard. It is because Ale seemed crestfallen and taken aback from the exchange, that I felt the need to comment.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
As I read it, it was started as a showcase of my work, not to showcase what could be done after the fact or how my work can be copied by others. Really, it's as simple as that.

Exactly, I should have judged better and open an independent thread for my modification. No artist wants to see their art being altered and being a painter myself, I should have know better. I thought that being a VS this was the right place for it but Art is right--and I'm glad he's not offended--this thread is about his work and not about what we do with his hats afterwards with the exception, of course, of wearing them after he makes them for us.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I have placed an order for a chocolate brown VS in an "Indy-style" from Art. I'm torn, since I already have a Fed IV Deluxe which is a great looking hat. I got the idea from looking at John Penman's Indy hats---the "Skull" in particular. I sent the pics of John's "Skull" to Art requesting that he duplicate it and he said "no problem". No surprise there.

Here's a pic of my second VS in the Whiskey color that I narrowed the pinch on some to get the desired effect and I'm quite pleased with it:
Photo282.jpg

Here's the Fed IV Deluxe:
Photo281.jpg

The biggest hurdle will be explaining to the wife my rationale for purchasing a very expensive hat that, to her eyes anyway, might look identical to the Fed. What do you guys think? Would you do it? Too redundant?

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have placed an order for a chocolate brown VS in an "Indy-style" from Art. I'm torn, since I already have a Fed IV Deluxe which is a great looking hat.

The biggest hurdle will be explaining to the wife my rationale for purchasing a very expensive hat that, to her eyes anyway, might look identical to the Fed. What do you guys think? Would you do it? Too redundant?

You're asking the wrong crowd, JB!
I like both hats you have pictured. How could another one hurt?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Just wondering JB, rather than have Art make a clone of the Penman hat, why not get a real one from John?

I love Art's work (I have one on order at the moment) but for an Indy hat, I'd get from one of the guys that specialize in them.

dnjan

One Too Many
Step 1 - don't ever let her see both hats at the same time.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Just wondering JB, rather than have Art make a clone of the Penman hat, why not get a real one from John?

I love Art's work (I have one on order at the moment) but for an Indy hat, I'd get from one of the guys that specialize in them.

That was exactly my thought initially. But, as curious as I am to check out one of John's hats, I have reasoned as such: firstly, a Penman would take up to 5-6 months before it would even go on the block (Art would have it ready to ship in 2-3 weeks). Secondly, the Penman Skull costs $90 more than Art's. Thirdly, I already have two of Art's hats and they are immaculate, and every subsequent hat he makes for me will always fit perfectly! Finally, I am confident that Art Fawcett is up for the task, because---well, he's Art Fawcett!

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
jbucklin, I would say your line of reasoning on the subject of "remotely" similar hats is entirely bulletproof. :D
For the initiated of course the color is but one small detail... lol

I have one question of my own for the owners of a VS silk finish out there.
I understand that the silk finish is created by raising some of the felted hair out of the densely felted hat body (oversimplified). What I would like to know is just how fluffy the end result looks. Is the raised hair brushed flat again to a large degree, making the surface not fluffy at all? The pics I have seen so far (delectans Granite, one white hat, and some shots of a trio: black, sahara and midnite) seem to reveal at least some degree of fluffyness (hair that is still raised).

Would someone be able to post a fairly hi-res pic of one such hat?
Any help highly appreciated.

My wife has already told me only one female of any species in the household (human, dog, cat, horse, etc).
Since my wife is outnumbered by male humans, my son & I, she has no trouble with multiple female dogs or horses.
She reasons the female dogs stay around the house unlike roaming males & the mares can actually contribute by producing foals.
We won't stand a stud again & she thinks geldings are annoying... the one I have is excellent at it!

Gromulus

Practically Family
My wife has already told me only one female of any species in the household (human, dog, cat, horse, etc).

With three daughters my wife cannot use that arguement against me. Luckily the sole male of the family is able to single-handedly overcome any "testosterone deficiency". Hoo rah.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana