Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
That's a beautiful photo, Jeff. I missed that one. It looks like you captured the midnight blue extremely well.

I have a Black Cherry LITE in the making - the new, dark version of the black cherry dye.
Once it's across the pond I'll try and shoot some comparison pics with the black felt and, since such a comparison hasn't been posted before, with the oxblood felt as well. They don't really compare, but both are somewhat similar options for a non-traditional dark hat with some reddish/ purple in the mix.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hi Art,

I can't reach you by email or PM since both are weirding out at the moment. Emails bounce and FL server doesn't PM. [huh]

In re ribbon for the Black Cherry lite:
I'll definitely take the last, the "dullest" with the regular, fine ribbing. Thanks for the good work. The narrow brim binding looks great.

Nik

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Art.

- building up tension! Keep up the fine work, guys :D

I'm very curious myself to see this felt in person. The original Black Cherry was too daring for my taste, but the new dye looks just awesome, judging from the felt sample. I asked Art for a dull black or near-black/ dark ribbon so that the hat might pass as a nearly-black hat under the poor lighting conditions of dull winter days. A dark hat with just a touch of color in the felt.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The reasoning sounds absolutely convincing. In spite of the obvious challenges in trying to render the combo in a photograph, I'm sure you'll give it one of your highly qualified tries :)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Jared, your pics of the BC lite in the nursery gave me a good idea of how the felt looks in brighter lighting. Thanks for posting them.

Ole, that's very nice of you to say so. The "old" black cherry was really tough to photograph. It looked even more colorful in images, popping out like a "Velvia color" (which I never really liked) as opposed to "Kodachrome color" in the days of slide film. Luckily the new dye is an entirely different color.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Black Cherry lightweight preview

The hatband and binding are either a dull black or nearly black/ undefinably dark.
To be continued in two or three weeks... just in time before the overcoat season starts.

Last edited:

falis

New in Town
OT, I know, but your two sigs immediately above are great!

edit: I mean Nik and Ole's. The latter disappeared but went something like: "We all have photographic memories. It's just that some of us have no film"!

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The hat in the top left is actually black and not black cherry. Though I have to admit, it looks more black cherry than the hat next to it!

Ooops, my mistake. Will correct it tonight and post the collage anew.
Nice hat, anyway. :)

Edit: Black VS removed in the collage above.

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Hello all... It has taken me nearly a month to read through the fantastic and huge thread... my sincere thanks to all who have truly helped me learn about the magic and wizardry of Art Fawcett... !!!
My first Art work arrived last week... all I can say is, Man that's a hat... !!! it's in lush charcoal with a burgundy ribbon and I am stunned by the craftsmanship, particularly since I have been wearing ill-fitting cheapo wool felts from online vendors... and silly stingies to boot...!!! I will do my best to get a photo up...
again my thanks to Art ( a great guy to chat with) and all you Loungers who have imparted so much to my fed-ucation...

Cheers
Emil G.

Gotta change my photo from that silly straw stingy, eh...???

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, emigran.

Don't hesitate to ask us if you have trouble posting photos. I'm looking forward to see pics of the VS Charcoal with burgundy - a very unique combination.

emigran

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge, emigran.

Don't hesitate to ask us if you have trouble posting photos. I'm looking forward to see pics of the VS Charcoal with burgundy - a very unique combination.

Thank you sir... "my hat's off to you" in particular for your impressive photography and many considerations for the membership here... Thanks. I am amazed how pumped everyone gets over their crowning glories... totally awesome. I already am back in the queue for my second... guess I caught the disease (FAD) Fedora Acquisition Disorder).
PS the charcoal with burgundy is superb...I had naught to do with it... totally Art's artistry.
my next one is to be Granite (Wm Powell diamond bash) with the ribbonTBD.

Ciao for now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo