Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

univibe88

One Too Many
I thought you all may be interested in some tweaks I made to my latest Work of Art. It's a 5.75" open crown and came with a center crease. I made the crease even deeper and tightened the front pinch a bit. In doing so, it created a really cool, often discussed, reverse taper. Because the open crown is very high, it allowed me to create a very deep center crease that I think is very nice.

These pictures are taken in natural light with no flash.

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I just received my VS custom to-day, after it spent a week in customs.:( :mad: :rage: It's a 2 3/8" brim, blue smoke fedora. I told Art the color I wanted and specified a wide-ish brim binding and said I wanted something like a conservative 1930s fedora. I think he did a fantastic job:
Picture255.jpg

A quick bash:
Picture260.jpg

On me:
Picture253-1.jpg

Picture252-1.jpg

Inside:
Picture258.jpg

The felt is dense and has a natural lustre, it's not a matte surface. It feels like a substantial, solid hat that can take hard wear. The finish and details are equal to the best of my vintage hats.

I feel really good right now!:D

Torpedo

One Too Many
Univibe,

That is a fantastic lid, not that such a thing is unusual coming from Art... :D The crease looks great, specially the side view! I guess that is a Whiskey felt?

Jaunty,

Welcome to the ranks of Art's masterpiece owners! Did you ask for an open crown, I assume? I am mysel interested in a 30's style hat, BTW...

Regards!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jauntyone said:
I just received my VS custom to-day, after it spent a week in customs.:( :mad: :rage: It's a 2 3/8" brim, blue smoke fedora. I told Art the color I wanted and specified a wide-ish brim binding and said I wanted something like a conservative 1930s fedora. ...

Very nice hat. I like the crease you put in it. I like the wide ribbon, too.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Thanks, fellows.

Univibe, I hope someday to have as nice little collection of VS hats as yours!

Torpedo, I did indeed ask for an open crown hat. Creasing it yourself is half the fun!

Big man, the ribbon is nice and wide...it matches my wide smile while wearing the hat!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
Just so you all know, there is at least one FireMAN hat out there. Here's the story:

Our department responded to a house fire two Sunday's ago. I responded in my vehicle from Church (complete with suit and my "1928 Reunion" hat of Art's). The house was an old wooden structure that apparently had been burning unnoticed for some time. It was "fully involved", with fire already coming out the roof. I was first on the scene and took command. I jumped from my vehicle, not taking time to put on my turnout gear, to do an initial scene survey so as to give a report to the first arriving engine.

Upon completing the initial survey and giving my report, I began to put on my turn out gear. It was at this time that I noticed several tiny burning embers glowing on the brim and crown of my hat. :eek: I quickly snuffed them out (which left smudge marks [huh] ), and proceeded with the duties on the fire grounds.

After it was all over, I looked closely at my hat. A little bit of cleaning and a good brushing left only faint remnants of the hat's brush with death. Art's hats may not be fireproof, but they sure are tough as hell. You have to look really close to see where the "damage" was.

I got this hat (and all the hats I own) to wear and use. The "1928 Reunion" hat now has an added touch of character.
That's quite a testimonial, Big Man. Art has always said that his hats are to be worn in all circumstances and you put it to the test. It may be time for another close-up of your VS Reunion!

That's a nice VS, Jauntyone.

lc1484

One of the Regulars
JauntyOne....that is one bad ass hat!! another Art Masterpiece....that blue smoke won't get dirty as fast as you think...I kabonged myself on the garage walking out and the top of my hat caught the rubber strip on the garage door sweep...there was a black smear on it...I just brushed it off with my hand as it looked like a grease smear...it was gone...I hit it again with a hat brush...

all gone..

Art's hats...look good and very durable.

congrats again...get ready for another

Larry
:eusa_clap

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Jaunty! Seems your patient wait was well deserved...that is absolutely stunning on you. I bet you are saving for a stingy now! The VS hits the French soil...the capital of fashion and good taste...and Jaunty our first model!!lol :eusa_clap

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Conformer came today! It's all locked up and ready to ship back out to Art tomorrow. Very excited.

Had it shipped to me at work, because it's more convenient that way. Couldn't wait to get the conformer home to fit it, so I did it in the restroom mirror. And then a co-worker walked in.

He gave me the oddest look, like I was from Mars, then just turned around and walked out without a word. lol

Just a question for all the other proud owners here: was the conformer just a little bit tighter on you than the actual hat you got is? It definitely fits my head shape down to every lump and curve, but I'm just worried that I might be doing something just a wee bit wrong, and that the hat will be too tight.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Jauntyone, that is a beautiful hat!!! I wish I hadn't seen it. I need to decide on my first Art hat (I'm on "the list") and just when I think I have it narrowed down, I see another beaut and it is back to the drawing board and samples. I'm having a devil of a time deciding what will be my first! I could only hope to look as sharp as you Jauntyone!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Jauntyone,

Fantastic hat, it suits you and goes well with your suit! I sometimes also wonder whether thecustoms aren't admiring my hat a bit since it takes even longer...
Beware that you don't end up being targeted by fiscus since this will be not your last time at the customs....:rolleyes: I am a known guy there-Whenever I show up there I get the question " a hat?" Yes Art did a fantastic job.
Congratulations.
Nickn - you opened the new fperspective of the fedora - avantgarde! Lets call this one the Space Odyssey 2009.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails