Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
hollowpond said:
You are absolutely right on both counts, the wait times are next to nothing considering it's a custom fedora and its the deciding that's driving me nuts!!! Most of my wardrobe is brown/earth tones so I'm gonna give Art a couple of colors (pecan and natural I think?!?) and a couple of pics of me with and without hats, give him a general theme and let him go to town! I do like that bow, and I generally don't like the stacked bows! I like that hat stand, is that your "My Next VS" jar?

Travis

Yea saving my pennies lol !! Necessity is the mother of invention! Good luck! Pecan goes with about everything I have even black ... I am sure the natural would also you would probably be extremely happy with either one and thats what makes it hard to decide!

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
Napoli, 1952. Mr Artisso Fawcetto, recently emigrated from the United States, launches a new line of lower crown, more tapered, soft flexible brims with strong upsweep for his European audience. This takes Borsalino by surprise...here goes folks...the "bellisimo" model, 2" brim, 4" crown, centre dent by the master himself, hand creased...

20105October001.jpg

Daizawaguy, Love the windcord contrast against the ribbon .. thats sharp I have never seen that before!! Your idea or Art's??? Absolutely stunning! How many VS's do you have now?? You need to update your family photo :eusa_clap

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:
Napoli, 1952. Mr Artisso Fawcetto, recently emigrated from the United States, launches a new line of lower crown, more tapered, soft flexible brims with strong upsweep for his European audience. This takes Borsalino by surprise...here goes folks...the "bellisimo" model, 2" brim, 4" crown, centre dent by the master himself, hand creased...

20105October001.jpg

OMG, is that from one of his Borso Blocks?

I may have to order a couple of those bad boys, Georgous D guy.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:

Very nice. I can't wear this kind of hat myself, but I do appreciate them on others.

DRB

One Too Many
Kkaderly, there is nothing (well almost nothing) that makes a man look and feel better to me than a hat. That hat does you very nicely.

DRB

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:

20105October001.jpg

D'guy, I really don't know what to say. This is a very special occasion. I have been wanting a low crowned hat with more taper. I am very excited for you. I believe you may have started a trend. The Mojave was an excellent choice. I don't think the color displays well on my monitor. It looks almost orange/tan. But I know that mojave is a wonderful lighter color. Combined with that blue ribbon and the offset wind trolly riding on the ribbon, truly makes for a breathtaking hat.:eusa_clap

May we please see a side view to observe more of the taper on the crown? Also a top view of how much crease is needed to keep the hat low crowned would be appreciated. Such an exciting hat!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:

Extra Superiore e Bellisimo Capello. Looks like that standard block for the Italian makers from end of the 50's to early 80's. Nice colors and a refreshing break from the Cappelli Grandi.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the comments, but all credit goes to Artissimso! KKaderly - the contrast windcord is my idea though - created after Art rejected me on the windcord idea, after being out of navy! I sent a quick mail back saying well, a cream of course! Turns out very sharp. Noggin shots at the weekend, and DRB, if you want another shot, let me know...

Better shots in natural light

20105October001-1.jpg

20105October002-1.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
D'guy, thank you for the side view. It does indeed show some taper to the front.
May I ask one other favor? Could you provide a view of the crease from above. I want to see if a light crease or heavy crease has to be used to create the 4 inch crown. I love my two borsalinos. The crease on them is very very light. When I am done wearing them I just pop them back out to open crown. Like this black borsalino, just a slight soft hand crease or brown borsalino. The black one was in the rain.
April2010BorsalinoCrushable-Wate-2.jpg

April2010BorsalinoCrushable-Wate-3.jpg

MontrealMarch2010a11.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Sure, DRB...this one is as buttery soft as you will get. A gentle touch and its back to open crown. But, I will say this, the lighter colors (something to do with the felting I read) tend to be more buttery than the darker colors. There is a definite difference I have found. I do recommend the Mojave for softness. The brim is so maleable...the overwelt also helps give it form around the circumference...

20105October005.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:
Sure, DRB...this one is as buttery soft as you will get. A gentle touch and its back to open crown. But, I will say this, the lighter colors (something to do with the felting I read) tend to be more buttery than the darker colors...

I'm pretty sure its the bleaching of the felt from natural to a lighter color, so the new dye will be more visible. The bleaching is more powerful than it would be for a darker color, thus the felt is broken down more; so its softer. Something like that. Perhaps Art can remind us again?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Last few pics of the hat, as I`ve been holed up at home today...

20105October009.jpg

20105October008.jpg

The fine detail of Art`s work

20105October007.jpg

And finally, to answer Jauntyone`s question of the difference in crowns, what better way but to put it up against my other Mojave...

20105October010.jpg

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Some really nice looking new hats in here guys!

I have been absent from the lounge for a while, so I had to come back to this specific thread!!

Summer meant wearing my lousy $80 panama all the time, waiting patiently for it to be cold enough to wear my VS hats more than just in the house!

I'm finally able to wear the light felt one outside these days, and the Black Cherry is still a little warm but should be nice to wear in a few weeks when the coats start staying on!

I did wear the lite in the summer a few times, but every time i put it on I was afraid i'd STAIN it with my sweaty head!!

VS hats are too nice to sweat on. What are we to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner