Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, those pants get their dose of fresh air rather seldom... easy to wear, yet not so easy on the eyes of the innocent bystander...

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Some seriously nutty linen pants, unlined cotton jacket and cotton knit tie for a beautiful mid summer day.

2012-07-18_VS-Silberbelly-w-19greenishgrey.jpg

I'm not too sure many could wear those pants but your outfit in total looks really sharp. Your VS is a great way to finish it off.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Got the conformer done today. Had a question for you all, though: How "tight" do you set the conformer on your head? I tightened it so it was pretty tight against my skull (not my hair!) because it felt about like my experience with one of those 19th century conformateurs did.
I can re-adjust it if necessary...seems that I ran out of packing tape and therefore wasn't able to get it to the Post today.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Got the conformer done today. Had a question for you all, though: How "tight" do you set the conformer on your head? I tightened it so it was pretty tight against my skull (not my hair!) because it felt about like my experience with one of those 19th century conformateurs did.
I can re-adjust it if necessary...seems that I ran out of packing tape and therefore wasn't able to get it to the Post today.

1. After you've set the conformer, take it off your head then put it back on, like a hat. Check if it sits at the correct height (at the maximum head circumference - 1/2" above eyebrows and eartips, most likely).
2. The most important thing is to get the circumference measurement (using the tape) right. As long as the conformer does have the settings true to your actual head shape, corrections of the final size can be made using the tape measurement.

See also this post of mine.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi 1250wpsi w/ 13 L black 5.5" x 2 3/4"

Tan cotton and black Brogues, with moss/orange silk knit tie and blue shirt.

VS-Montecristi1250wpsi-w-13Lblack.jpg

VS-Montecristi1250wpsi-w-13Lblack_closeuppost.jpg

Brando11

A-List Customer
Rabbit- I think Warren Zevon was thinking of you when he wrote, "...I'd like to meet his tailor!"

Another splendid outfit!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Brando, for the kind words.

I'm not too sure many could wear those pants but your outfit in total looks really sharp. Your VS is a great way to finish it off.

The large checked pattern sure needs all the balance it can get, plus lots of sunshine, summer temps and blue skies to make it work in the first place. :)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
What a fine hat. Great work on the crown. A classic. Does the brim snap? Do you have any close up photos of that fine weave? I`d like to see a close up...

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What a fine hat. Great work on the crown. A classic. Does the brim snap?

It's a very flat brim with no snap. For closeups, see post#6097.

Comparison pics: post#6109

To clarify, the hats seen in my attire pics are not new acquisitions; the pics are only meant to show what my VSs are worn with, as requested by Hall of Fame dwellers. :)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Tan cotton and black Brogues, with moss/orange silk knit tie and blue shirt.

VS-Montecristi1250wpsi-w-13Lblack_closeuppost.jpg

Rabbit; Cheers sir! You are setting the attire bar very high! I showed my wife the last couple os shots and she commented that your clothes "worked with you and that the outfits had a very naturaly classy style." I see that as high praise from my wife.

On the hat side, your shot all but convinced me that I need a quality Panama. It is truly a gorgeous hat. Looks light, richly appointed/shaped and worn with casual elegance. I do like the look.

You keep posting and I may have to call my tailor to answer to my wifes requests.

Best, Eric -

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
5 3/4" x 2 3/8" VS Dove w/ 19 L black

A higher-crowned VS with a deep diamond crease. Cooler temps today call for woolen trousers (charcoal with grey small windowpane plus blue & brown overcheck) and Prince-of-Wales check worsted flannel jacket, quarter-lined.

2012-07-20_VS-Dove-w-19black.jpg

2012-07-20_VS-Dove-w-19black_POWcheck.jpg

Eric, thank you for your kind words. I'm sure you'd love a high count Panama.
You might even come to enjoy the flapping of the brim in the wind. :)

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi 28x28 weave count

2 3/8" brim, 12 ligne black ribbon

Today, on this summer's hottest day so far, my new VS Montecristi arrived. I asked Art whether he had a block like the one below from his inventory in my size as well. He did. The block has a spine line both vertically along the crown roof plus front/rear and along the crown sides.

ArtsBlocks_western1925-ontheleft__dress125-ontheright_2.jpg

ArtsBlocks_western1925-ontheleft__dress125-ontheright_1.jpg

It's the block on the right; the other one is a Western straw hat block (note the distinct lack of rake).

The block shape is incredibly beautiful. Art's blocking of the Panama is impeccable, as always; the brim on this one has a moderately high flange with a snap.
The woven straw has a very textured look - entirely different from my other VS Panamas - having lots of reddish and some grayish straw in it, rather evenly distributed over the hat body. Although I prefer the clear ivory color of my other Panamas, I also enjoy the variety.

P1080290.jpg

P1080294.jpg

P1080277.jpg

P1080368.jpg

P1080375.jpg

P1080384.jpg

P1080306.jpg

P1080297.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members