Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Chinaski

One Too Many
027-1.jpg

Where does one find this hat?? What a beauty! Seriously, how do I get one, and what will it cost me? Drooling on my desktop...an obvious OR nod, and I love the bash. Looks perfect!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Chinaski Where does one find this hat?? What a beauty! Seriously said:
Dear Chinaski,

Just drop a mail to stone488@gotsky.com. This will point directly to the mailbox of Mr. Art Fawcett, the master hatter. He does answer his emails quickly. It is better if you send this photo along, maybe you also attach one-two photos of your head (front, side portrait) and details of your hat size.
Mr. Fawcett is very flexible you can easily work out the terms of international payment with him. I did for example all transactions via international payment order- too many spy programs around to get my card details - and Mr. Fawcett accepted this.
After the payment all I had to do is to sit and wait until I got my turn - he is quite busy with orders and then you receive the hat at your specified mailing address. This is what happens the first time. The next times the customs office will chime in and get their share. But the Vintage Silhouettes hats always arrive on time and in stunning quality.
In short, I can only recommend you to go ahead.

P.S.: Now I see that you live in the US -still I leave this text here since international clients might find it useful.

Tom

Jabos

A-List Customer
Chinaski, you can order one from Art or you can come to Oklahoma and snatch it off my head at this moment. Art's work is remarkable. The felt is thick, plush, and soft as my baby's bottom (well, he is six but it is still soft!). This is my "go to" hat and just tonight my wife was asking me, gently, why I wear it IN the house so often. I told her it is because I love it so much. Art's hats would be worth double the price but shhhhhh, please don't let him know that!;) Get it and you will love it.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Jabos, that is a beauty! Were I anywhere near Oklahoma I'd consider accosting you and snatching your headware, but as I'm not, I'll need to talk to Art instead. By the way, what is your hat size in case I were plotting a hat-thieving run to Oklahoma? (That question is rhetorical if you choose!) Again, that is one great hat.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Limited Edition Hoosier

Thought I'd post this here as well: my entry into the world of Vintage Silhouettes. Hoosier, previously owned by DOUGLAS. I put a diamond bash into it, which took lots of water and steam:

3454064444_7b4f6a5459_b.jpg

The felt is thicker than anything I've bashed before; not easy, but I suspect it will hold its shape for at least a century.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, not that I wish to be mysterious or anything, but that first photo is probably the most explicit noggin-shot I'll ever post.

I'm just weird about having my picture all over the internet.

Although I do think it gives a good idea of how much better looking the hat is than I am...

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Dum-de-dum-dum

My hat came Monday! It's my first Art creation... and definitely not my last.

Art had to put up with me being very specific and sending a ton of reference photos, so I thank him for that. : ) What I wanted was as close a copy as possible of the hat Jack Webb wore as Joe Friday in "Dragnet." I'm working on my application for film school -- something I should have done ten years ago -- and as my primary inspiration for being a filmmaker in the first place, I wanted to honor Jack Webb in some way. Even though, if you look at off-set photos, Webb himself wasn't much of a hat wearer, his character is synonymous with his lid, so I figured it's as good a tribute as any.

Being that Friday's hat was a Cav edge, Art said he could do me an underwelt, but that it'd have to be his lightweight felt. That was fine by me, as I was leaning that direction anyway. : ) I've never owned vintage, and this is my first non-factory modern hat, so I was blown away by how tall and un-tapered the crown is. And I just love the crinkly-looking, vintage-y feel to the creases.

Felt is blue smoke. What everybody has said about this color is right -- it's amazing. It's an elusive color, and I'm convinced, photographs simply cannot capture it.

Given that my new lid is meant as a tribute to my hero, I thought I'd name it after him. So in honor of John Randolph "Jack" Webb, I give you... the "Randolph":

randolph_3.jpg

randolph_4.jpg

randolph_5.jpg

randolph_6.jpg

randolph_7.jpg

randolph_8.jpg

randolph_9.jpg

randolph_10.jpg

And a couple shots of its proud owner:
randolph_1.jpg

randolph_2.jpg

Many, many thanks to Art! You are a true artist. And a special mention goes to BobC, who helped me out in PMs on deciding a felt color. : )

-Tofu

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art does amazing work and I want everyone that he has done, BUT this one is absolutely perfect. The unrefined bash, underwelt, ribbon, color, how you wear it. Everything about that is perfect. Congrats:eusa_clap

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
handlebar bart said:
Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art does amazing work and I want everyone that he has done, BUT this one is absolutely perfect. The unrefined bash, underwelt, ribbon, color, how you wear it. Everything about that is perfect. Congrats:eusa_clap

:D :D Thank you, sir!!! High praise coming from a stylish gent like yourself.

I can't go on enough about how in-love I am with the felt. It's soft and supple, and will hold any crease I give it, but not so much that I can't just pop it out and re-do it by hand should I, for instance, bump the really, really tall crown against the door frame as I'm getting in the car...

...not that that's happened... nooo... :eek: :D

-Tofu

1911 Man

A-List Customer
That is SLICK!

The hat itself is a stunning creation, but I am also impressed how well it suits you. You did well in your choice, and Art pulled off yet another great hat. I've been thinking I would like a blue smoke lid, and yours isn't helping convince me I don't need it!!

Congrats.

MattJH

One Too Many
I just had my first conversation with Art via phone today to give specifics on my own very first VS hat. It'll be lightweight felt as well, and will be underwelted just like AdmiralTofu's. That's a very nice took. Mine won't look anything like it, but the felt and brim treatment will be identical. After seeing these photographs, I'm even more excited!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Not sure on the crown height... I have no clue how I'd even begin to try to measure that accurately, but a tape measure, my untrained eyeball, and a little bit of "I hope it's right" are telling me 5.5" open crown... perhaps Art can help us out with the specs? I'm probably *way* off.

1911 Man said:
That is SLICK!

The hat itself is a stunning creation, but I am also impressed how well it suits you. You did well in your choice, and Art pulled off yet another great hat. I've been thinking I would like a blue smoke lid, and yours isn't helping convince me I don't need it!!

Congrats.

Thank you, sir! If you knew how much I'm beaming with pride over here right now... :D :D :D

Blue smoke is an incredible color, and I definitely say "get it." :) Like I said, it's an elusive color... some have said it's bluish-gray, others have said grayish-blue... me, I see neutral gray, with maybe just a *hair* of blue to it. Any way you slice it, though, it spells b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.

-Tofu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran