Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artwork Featuring Hats

TM

A-List Customer
randooch requested that I post a picture of a painting which I commented on in the thread “Your Favorite Paintings”.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?62544-Your-Favorite-Paintings/page10

This is the painting , “The Expectation”, by Richard Oelze, done in 1935. Oelze studied at the Bauhaus in 1921, then moved to Switzerland, and then to Paris. According to this website:

http://weimarart.blogspot.com/2010/06/richard-oelze.html

“After moving to Ascone, Switzerland, in 1929, Oelze encountered Surrealism for the first time and moved back to Germany the following year. In 1933 he decided to go to Paris, where he met and associated with Max Ernst, Tristan Tzara, André Breton, and Salvador Dalí. Despite never officially subscribing to the movement, he participated in some of the most important Surrealist exhibitions of the day, such as the International Surrealist Exhibition and Fantastic Art, Dada, Surrealism, organized in 1936 by the New Burlington Galleries in London and The Museum of Modern Art in New York.

In 1935 Oelze painted "The Expectation" which was to become his most famous painting, a gloomy icon of things to come.”

z.jpg

I was intrigued by the painting as it seemed to be a premonition of the writings of J. G. Ballard.

Tony

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Great contributions, folks.

Here is one section of a large mural in Manilva, Spain. The entire work is maybe 25 feet by 12 feet. It is comprised of ceramic tiles, each one 6 by 6 inches.

imagenzfq.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
This is a life-size wood carving mounted on the wall of a private residence in Brienz, Switzerland. Apologies for the photo quality: cheap camera + distance.
rlue.jpg

maduro 5

A-List Customer
I was in NY this weekend and visited MOMA. I found a painting that made me smile by an American artist Paul Cadmus. It was painted in 1934 and is called Greenwich Village Cafeteria.
paul-cadmus-greenwich-village-cafeteria-1934.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112