Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Tatum

Practically Family
Tatum, do you have a cow lick that you might be working with or against? I've just realized my problems might be the cow lick I've got on the right side of my hairline. I've resisted parting with the cow lick because it's unnatural feeling to me having had my hair on the other side so long! But tonight I started playing around with my hair and put hot sticks in. I started to style it again the same way with my part on the left and the front started doing the same thing. Ugh. So what the heck, I parted it on the opposite side and whadyaknow...it's not ideal but I'm getting closer. Do ya think?

Now I need to try this with pin curls.

(Gee I need lipstick here and better bathroom lighting. I'm thinking this style makes me look old. Hey, wait...) :p

It may not be what you were going for, but wow, it's adorable! I have already addressed my cowlick, it is in the front and I did the exact thing that you did and it made a world of difference for sets in general. I really think I am just hopeless with pincurls, and styles in which I would leave my hair down. We shall see after I get my hair trimmed on Tuesday, as I might (since we are going into summer) go from my really extra-long Middy to a shorter, more traditional one. I have noticed something interesting (that I should probably put in the Middy thread): since I have started washing my hair less, I can go a LOT longer without needing a haircut. It has been four months, and I don't need it for split ends; it is just getting too long for me to curl easily! Last night I rag-rolled the back and tried different pincurls on the front and sides, who knows how it will turn out!

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Can't wait to see. I'm very interested in rag rolling. I'd like to find some type of finished set comparison on rag rolls vs. sponge vs. pin curls, etc. Maybe one of these great video bloggers will do this? Hint, hint...

Tatum

Practically Family
Can't wait to see. I'm very interested in rag rolling. I'd like to find some type of finished set comparison on rag rolls vs. sponge vs. pin curls, etc. Maybe one of these great video bloggers will do this? Hint, hint...

Oooh, that is a great idea. There was only one photo snapped of me last night, it was kind of a joke...but I dry rag-rolled it back last night, we will see what today brings. I am sure we will get some photos today. I am in Gracie Lee's neck of the woods this weekend and we are going to a historical exhibit today!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have a question re: pincurling Bettie bangs...

I really like the look of curled-under bangs with a little bit of height, kind of like what Bettie herself sports. Normally I just use my curling iron but it really doesn't stay in. Can anyone explain how I should be pincurling my bangs to get this look? I know it will take a lot of brushing out over my hand. For reference they are slightly u-shaped, not straight across cut.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I havee bangs and what I normally do is use standing pin curls going downn and that's it. I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for thouh :p. I kinda cheat and jusr roll em in Tiny tiny circles since, well, we don't have much hair there. Hope I maybe helped you

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I cut my hair into Bettie bangs last September and loved them, but they were a lot of work to keep them looking perfect despite cowlicks and bed head! You might just be better off cutting them. They grow faster than you can imagine. I used to have to trim them every week.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I cut my hair into Bettie bangs last September and loved them, but they were a lot of work to keep them looking perfect despite cowlicks and bed head! You might just be better off cutting them. They grow faster than you can imagine. I used to have to trim them every week.

Actually, that's what I did- cut them way shorter than my hairdresser advised and loved it. I still can't really pincurl them, but I think it's one way or the other- have them long enough to pincurl and put up with the curl falling out, or cut them short. I definitely found them less bothersome once they were short (in terms of getting windblown, wet etc).

I wish I had trimmed mine every week, rather than waiting until they were long and trying to put the U-shape back in myself, I know I've not made a great job of it- one side is thicker than the other and its a bit wonky. It looks alright but I can't wait for the hairdresser to sort it out!

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
1 beer, 48 pins, and 1/2 a movie

Dry hair, washed two days ago.
Indifferently regular application of 1:3 Lottabody. Eventually I just gave up trying to squirt my hair (after getting setting sol on my glasses, my forehead, and the dog). Maybe the beer didn't help.
Misted all the little painfully created curls with plain water.
Went to bed.

Pincurls intact the next morning:
Pincurls-vi.jpg

Pincurls shaken out (that strange face is me trying not to howl with laughter)
ShakenOut-vi.jpg

after brushing the back looks right!
Back-vi.jpg

final effect: um. Not sure how I feel about this. Brushing it out was fun: I could get various sections to curl on command in different directions. It took a LOT of brushing. I might try some more brushing. I have a good natural bristle brush. Flat, not rounded.
Fnal-vi.jpg

I need to play with different setting patterns.
I used my mom's technique of wrapping the hair around the finger from the base to the tip, and then sliding the curl off the finger and pinning it flat to my scalp.
I took the time to section my hair before starting pincurling. Made it more organized than previous attempts. Clips would have been easier to use than elastics for the sectioning.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Just wanted to share some of my newfound pincurl love... I could go on for ever, but in short, standing pincurls have allowed me to:

-get smoother, neater, shinier sets
-experiment more with hairstyles and freak out less when my hair gets ruined by weather (cause resetting them every night is less hassle than resetting rollers!)
-go for almost twice as long without washing my hair, and enjoy the fact that its greasiness give me great curls
-avoid using a hairdryer- they seem to dry quick enough so that I can put them in towel-dried hair
-not have to precariously remove squashed and tangled sponge rollers from my hair
-get a better night's sleep- so much more comfy even than sponge rollers! :D I *love* pincurls!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
This part I love too!! Too bad people think it's disgusting. It's actually very healthy for hair!!

Tell me about it! It makes me feel a bit gross but my curls look SO much better from the second or third day. I remember I once went 8 or 9 days without washing my hair (not without showering though :D), and my curls looked amazing- soft, shiny, smooth, 'together', bouncy etc. At the moment I'm leaving it between 5 and 7 days. It's weird, I now find that I hate my hair when it's freshly washed, it's too fluffy and the curls fall out really quick!

Isis

One of the Regulars
I wash my hair once a week and I don't think anyone has ever noticed. A trick I picked up up from a beauty book from the forties is to press down a folded piece of gauze bandage on a brush and then brush the hair. I don't like dry powder and this method seem to pick up some dust and grease.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have a question about pincurling- I read that if you want them to look like fingerwaves you should set them in alternating directions. For standing pincurls, does this mean you would roll one under (towards your face) and one over (away from your face)? Or does this alternating thing only work for the flat ones?

Romamor4

Familiar Face
Wish I knew the answer to your question, Frenchy!

I think I have decided that my favorite curl is the perm rod curl. When I do pin curls, standing or flat, my hair tends to come out more fluffy and fifties like. I'm going more for a thirties/fourties look, so that doesn't help. But when I do perm rods, every time they have come out perfect!! I kept up the pin curls because I figured perm rods would be too hard to sleep on. Gee, I hope sponge rollers will be a good alternative to perm rods. I can't wait to give those a try!

JustCallMeLexie

New in Town
I've been looking at the thread, and can't seem to find an answer to my question. How do you preserve the pin curls at night when you sleep? Mine just kind of get matted and tangled, even when I put them up in a scarf at night. Would the setting lotion help solve this issue, or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I've been looking at the thread, and can't seem to find an answer to my question. How do you preserve the pin curls at night when you sleep? Mine just kind of get matted and tangled, even when I put them up in a scarf at night. Would the setting lotion help solve this issue, or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks!

Are you securing them properly, with enough pins/clips? Are you fully combing/brushing out the sections of hair before you roll? Are you using big enough sections of hair/winding too tight? That's all I could think of!

Can't see how a setting lotion would stop the tangling but if you're not using one then I'd fully recommend it (for myriad other reasons). I also find using a hairnet (or a cutoff pair of tights :D) gives extra security.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I have a question about pincurling- I read that if you want them to look like fingerwaves you should set them in alternating directions. For standing pincurls, does this mean you would roll one under (towards your face) and one over (away from your face)? Or does this alternating thing only work for the flat ones?

It should work the same, just with more fullness. It's a long process.. Alternate your rows from your ears to your temples. One row curling away from your face, the row above it curling towards your face. Once they are totally dry, brush it out (Really! Brush the hell out of it!) and follow your curl pattern with a comb and create a fingerwave, using your fingers to push up the already created wave into a ridge. Use just a little hairspray to keep it in place, and voila! You're Veronica Lake.

Last edited:

JustCallMeLexie

New in Town
Are you securing them properly, with enough pins/clips? Are you fully combing/brushing out the sections of hair before you roll? Are you using big enough sections of hair/winding too tight? That's all I could think of!

Can't see how a setting lotion would stop the tangling but if you're not using one then I'd fully recommend it (for myriad other reasons). I also find using a hairnet (or a cutoff pair of tights :D) gives extra security.

I might be using too big of sections. We'll see! I may try the tights thing too. :)
Hopefully I can pick up some setting lotion this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points