Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Frenchy, that sounds perfect! Can we see? :)

Pin curls are so much more comfortable than sponge rollers, I'm glad they turned out well for you!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Frenchy, that sounds perfect! Can we see? :)

Pin curls are so much more comfortable than sponge rollers, I'm glad they turned out well for you!

Aw, I'm shy! :p Seriously, I can never bring myself to post photos, for a number of reasons. 'Describe your hairdos/purchases' etc is nowhere near as fun, I know... maybe one day!

Thanks, anyway! I'm excited about experimenting again with pincurls now, and this great video from Lisa Freemont Street has convinced me to buy a decent brush- I'm currently using one that I got free with a hairdryer when I was about 14. :eek: Plus I realised that whilst bristle brushes may be great for smoothing, they just aren't detangling my curl enough. Hoping that the Denman brush she recommends will sort me out. :)

Dawna

New in Town
Thanks to all the information here I've just set my hair in pincurls for the very first time! :D I was going to wait until tomorrow to post about it, just to make sure it worked out, but since I didn't follow any sort of setting pattern (I figured just getting all my hair pinned into little rolls would be enough of a challenge for the first try) and since I think I'm using the wrong sort of pin, I think the anticipation might be better than the results this time around, but I'm still excited! Normally I want to stay up all night, but tonight I'm actually wanting to go to bed so that I can wake up and check on my hair!

Thanks again for the loads and loads of info and inspiration :)

Update: Yay yay yay!!! I finally have the hairstyle I've been longing for! It's short and curly and the curls actually last all day! Normally I can't get my hair to keep a curl for anything. The day after the set it's sort of straight-ish again, but straight with body, instead of just limply hanging there like my hair normally does. I love it! Thank-you pin curls and pincurl experts :D

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Dawna, that's great! Maybe you could post a picture?

But beware!

(1947)

I'm thinking about wishing for a "bobopen" for my next birthday...
(already hear my sister asking: "What the hell is a bobo-pen?" :D)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
What shocks me even more than ruined teeth (I open my bobby pins with my fingers :p) is the average number of pins used for one set. I might be doing something wrong...

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
Hi everyone,

after quietly soaking up wisdom here for the last two years it's about time to contribute a little as well ...

Air dried hair - fine, thin, bra strap length in the back, no layers, self trimmed into deep U shape according to Feye's method.

Q00028873.jpg
Q00028878.jpg

My basic, sloppy set. I usually do about 15 curls give or take - the picture shows 17 - with two or three standing curls on top and the rest flat, sides facing forward on the right and backwards on the left. The back kinda happens how it happens. ;) I'm always amazed how nice this turns out despite that fact that I make the curls pretty large and I don't follow much of a grid structure or setting pattern. I get a perfect pekaboo going on almost every time.

Q00028918.jpg
Q00028921.jpg

Q00028923.jpg
Q00028925.jpg

I try to post pics of the brushed out set worn down some time soon, I was in a hurry this morning and had to put it up quickly due to rainy weather. Here's what it looked like this evening after I brushed out the upwards roll in the back:

Q00028947.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
The result looks great, Fräulein U.! (and you have very nice curtains, btw ;) )
Thank you for the link to the cutting method.
I always wonder what I do wrong, it seems everybody gets better results than I do. If it's about the cut, the combing, or whatever, maybe I'll never find out.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Fraulein, I think I remember reading that you henna your hair? Could I ask, do you henna your eyebrows too? They're such a perfect match! Sorry to go off topic.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Right, I'm bringing this one up from the catacombs again!

HEEELPPPPP, ladies!

As we may very well all know by now: I'm all thumbs when it comes to hair. Add to that the fact that I'm a mental perfectionist and you get a lot of frustrated evenings (I'm not kidding- a tear or two may have been shed!)!

I gave up on pin curls recently and switched back to foam rollers as they seemed to be the teeniest bit more fool proof. However, now that my hair is that little bit longer they seem to fall out a lot more quickly.

The issues I seem to be having are:
a) ridiculously thick hair (and a lot of it) means that it seems like my "small" sections are still too large
b) I cannot get those ends tucked in
c) besides purchasing that handy pin curling tool thingy ma bob I can't seem to get it. I bin to curl and flip flop, little bits of hair start falling oit of my spiral as I try to twist it up

It is doing my head in!

I've watched every youtube tutorial, read guides and now I've even ordered a vintage hairstyling book. Am I missing something here?

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
Fraulein, I think I remember reading that you henna your hair? Could I ask, do you henna your eyebrows too? They're such a perfect match! Sorry to go off topic.

Oh my, I hadn't checked this thread for ages. Sorry for being terribly late. Yes, I henna my brows, too. I use the smooth pre-mixed Color Creme by Logona without any plant bits, but I guess fine body art henna would work just as well. Precisely brush henna on, cover with a piece of saran wrap (if you dampen it beforehand it sticks to the skin) and leave there for about an hour.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
This is the best video I've found that teaches All About Elevated Pin Curls-Vintage Hairstyling Basics . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o58spJC-FE0&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL6DBD8450DFF85577

The one thing is to never ever give up on trying to pin curl your hair. Just keep at it no matter how many times you think a set turned out wrong the more you do a pink curl the better you will get. You do not need to follow the pattern A Vintage Vanity is doing this is optional. I never follow a pattern I put in my large straight bobby pins in my hair damp hair. I found for my hair I can not do a complete wet head of hair other wise it will not curl (leave in for 4 hours) and pin curl my hair in my messy way.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Could anyone help me with a hairstyle? I've been trying to do something like this for years, but I can't seem to get it right. I assume this is a pin curl set. Would you have some idea of the setting pattern?

I've tried setting fairly large pin curls around the face and all around the back, but I don't seem to get the right shape, especially around the bottom and back. I have very curly hair, especially in the summer, and this style either looks too frizzy or too loose. Roughly how many pin curls would I need, how large should they be, and what direction would I turn them?

Thanks for any help you could give.

HedyLamarr1841_zps2295dc3c.jpg

1930shairstyle_zpse220e4fd.jpg

By the way, isn't Hedy Lamarr gorgeous?

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Goodness me ladies... after using pillow rollers for a while I decided to give pin curls another go, as they do give a smoother look. Well, it's a good thing I started early in the evening! I've been at it for an age! Thick hair means I have to do such tiny sections and my hands really aren't used to the motions. Considering a perm more and more each day - maybe I could then do bigger curls?!

St. Louis

Practically Family
Thank you so much, Frl. U! That is exactly what I needed. In fact Lisa has a pin curl set for Hedy Lamar's style. It may be a few years later, but still close enough. I really appreciate your help with this & will try it tonight. I just got my hair cut a bit, so it's above shoulder length, but it should still have the general shape.

darlingmermaid

New in Town
Hey ladies! I'm new to the forum, old to being convinced I was born in the wrong era :)

I recently went and got a middy cut and I'm very happy with it! I do theatre so pincurls don't scare me.

However-- I am having trouble attaining the exact style I am going for. Is this to do with my pincurl pattern or what?

Basically my hair looks like this:

1930717,WFVu0czUBHBNZvX1DBchUecFSX56M2p6vch2iqr5di5aBUxILOSY3kduIOHhLVzlj5H6rI2gIQODp4BxrptAyA==.jpg

When I want it to look more like this--the wild and wavy, a little less precise:
528aec46f6363d0d039dd9682e55cb7c.jpg

a97eb15a3bb2f60fe7ac0b7c76ac1509.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey ladies! I'm new to the forum, old to being convinced I was born in the wrong era :)

I recently went and got a middy cut and I'm very happy with it! I do theatre so pincurls don't scare me.

However-- I am having trouble attaining the exact style I am going for. Is this to do with my pincurl pattern or what?

Basically my hair looks like this:

1930717,WFVu0czUBHBNZvX1DBchUecFSX56M2p6vch2iqr5di5aBUxILOSY3kduIOHhLVzlj5H6rI2gIQODp4BxrptAyA==.jpg

When I want it to look more like this--the wild and wavy, a little less precise:
528aec46f6363d0d039dd9682e55cb7c.jpg

a97eb15a3bb2f60fe7ac0b7c76ac1509.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
What is your setting pattern? My understanding is that for a smoother look your pin curls should go one direction per "row." So, top/ first row goes forward facing curl, forward facing, forward, etc.

I set my hair with every other curl going the opposite direction and get more of a "wild" look. In other words, the first curl in the first row is "towards" my face, the second in the first row is "away" from my face, the third "towards," fourth away, etc.

I am not sure if that helps or not.

Bixie Bliss

New in Town
What is your setting pattern? My understanding is that for a smoother look your pin curls should go one direction per "row." So, top/ first row goes forward facing curl, forward facing, forward, etc.

I set my hair with every other curl going the opposite direction and get more of a "wild" look. In other words, the first curl in the first row is "towards" my face, the second in the first row is "away" from my face, the third "towards," fourth away, etc.

I am not sure if that helps or not.

I second this. For example, Dita Von Teese does the all in the same direction pattern because she likes what she calls a 'smooth curtain of hair'. I much prefer the 'wilder' look on me so I roll the first front top curl forwards and the rest of the top backwards (works well for my short fringe), then for the sides I roll the top one down, next one up, then down in each row. For the back I roll down. This give me more singular curls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ