Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
ricki said:
I scanned in an article from a September 1941 issue of Modern Beauty Shop on pincurls. The text was hard to read so I copied to the step-by-step instructions onto my website:
http://www.stealingapples.com/pincurls.html

Thought a few of you ladies might enjoy this. I might put up a few more of the articles when I have time.

Thanks for this great post!

It is helpful to see the up close pictures of how the pin curls are wound, keep the articles coming:)

ricki

Familiar Face
RetroMom said:
Thanks for this great post!

It is helpful to see the up close pictures of how the pin curls are wound, keep the articles coming:)

I was definitely excited to see such detailed pictures at each step. Most of the pictures I've found before this just show the directions of the curl (and a lot leave out important details, like not twisting the hair before you curl it.)

I have a bunch of open hair pins like those in the picture, which I can never manage to keep in my hair. I'm guessing that they would be difficult to sleep in, but I might give them a try next time I'm lounging around the house in my hair in curls.

ricki

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
Also, if anyone has instructions on using one of those pin curl winders, please share. I got one on ebay, and it is now just taking up space in my collection.

I've always been tempted to purchase one of those off ebay. You'll have to let us know how it works once you get directions.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
Also, if anyone has instructions on using one of those pin curl winders, please share. I got one on ebay, and it is now just taking up space in my collection.

I don't know if this will help, I don't have a pin curl winder myself, but I do use a regular unsharpened pencil to wind my curls. My hair is super short and without it, I would never get real curls, just frizz. When my hair is wet and I have combed and put my setting lotion in, I wind my hair around the pencil until I have a pin curl, just keep winding until you can feel it against the back of your neck/head. Then I slip it off and pin it. It does take practice, when I first heard of the idea, I never thought it would work, but if your determined:D you will get good results!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Oooh! That is brilliant!

I'm still absolutely terrified of doing them. I want to, but MAN, that looks like it would take me a good two hours just to get ready. Hmmm... I gotta just jump in and do it one Saturday evening and hope for the best.

But then again I have serious hair styling phobias.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, thanks Ricki. This is a great tutorial, very helpful. Oh how I wish my pincurls looked as perfect as that.

Tourbillion said:
That's great. However, what I want to know is, anyone out there actually able to do this on themselves, with hairpins? (clips and bobbies don't count). If so, my kudos to you.

I can't. :(

I can do pincurls on my own head. But, they never look this good. Usually I start in the front, and the first few curl look nice and neat. Then as I work my way towards the back, they get messier and messier. I'm hoping to find a salon in my area that will set my hair for me before the Queen Mary. I'll keep practicing, but it can be a painful process. I need to go to the gym and work the muscles in my arms, for pincurling can really take its toll on them.

I saw that pin curl winder! I thought I recognized the name on the bidder as someone from the Lounge, so I didn't bid. I'm so glad it went to someone here. Let me know how it works out. I did a search online to see if I could find directions on how to use it, but nothing came up. Wish I could be of some help.

Naama

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:

I saw that pin curl winder! I thought I recognized the name on the bidder as someone from the Lounge, so I didn't bid. I'm so glad it went to someone here. Let me know how it works out. I did a search online to see if I could find directions on how to use it, but nothing came up. Wish I could be of some help.

I also have a pincurl winder, but I don't use it since (for me) it's more difficult then to use my fingers, somehow [huh]

Naama

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very nifty pictorial!

I've tried using the old-fashioned hairpins, but I can never get them to grip properly -- my hair is too fine or too slippery or something, because they always fall out on my sleep, even though I wear a hairnet and a sleeping cap over them. So it's bobby pins for me -- they grip a lot better, at least until they get bent out enough that they have to be replaced.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a pin curl winder myself, but I do use a regular unsharpened pencil to wind my curls.

I use a pencil or the handle of a hair brush (a small one, of course) and both work great. I also like to stand up the pin curls at the front of my head, in order to get more height at the crown.

ricki

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Very nifty pictorial!

I've tried using the old-fashioned hairpins, but I can never get them to grip properly -- my hair is too fine or too slippery or something, because they always fall out on my sleep, even though I wear a hairnet and a sleeping cap over them. So it's bobby pins for me -- they grip a lot better, at least until they get bent out enough that they have to be replaced.

I've always been told that regular bobby pins will leave creases in your pincurls.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've always been told that regular bobby pins will leave creases in your pincurls.

I use regular boby pins and criss cross them (my great aunt showed me how she pin curled her hair in the 40s); I find I don't get dents or creases if I slip the pins partially under the curl (so that the entire pin is not pressing on top of the curl.)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I use:

A MAC Lipglass tube as a curling stick
Tresemme Curl Spray
Klippies and sometimes bobbie pins

I just use inch wide strips of hair...I have to start from the bottom and wind up to make sure the ends are in since I am growing out a razored haircut and there are choppy bits.

I fingerbrush my curls out until they look right. One of these days, I'll put up pics because I'm getting really good at styling my hair. I've been doing pin curls almost three weeks and overall styling for about two months.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Etienne....thank you so much for the "spoolie" suggestion. I was thinking about those the other day but couldn't remember the name of them. I just ordered a couple of packages from The Vermont Country Store, and thank you for supplying the name of a place where I could get them. By the way, it's nice to see there are older women on here, I'm 58.....

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
My secret weapon for pincurls are Dolly pegs!

dollypegslg.jpg

My one's pink and called Peggy Sue (yep, I love it so much, I've named it, i mean her!)

You neatly put the end of the bit of hair through the gap and you wind the dolly peg towards you. As you move closer, you tilt the peg so you can wiggle the peg a little out of the curl and then slide the curl off the peg.
Then you pin it flat on your head. I criss-cross bobby pins.

The dolly pegs can also be used for victory rolls. It makes it easier to position them in different ways.

Thankyou lindy charm school for girls!

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
thankyou ricki for that link!!

"8. Twisted strand is laid diagonally downward, ends tucked under the first circle "

I just don't tuck in the ends well enough!
I always attempt to tuck the end into the middle of the curl, but I think I'm going to have better luck with this :)

thanks again!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Seeing as you ladies all know so much about hair, maybe you can help me.

How do I get hair like this?

stps2.jpg

I'm rubbish with styling my hair, & when I went to my hairdressers they looked at me as if I had two heads & told me they'd never seen a pincurl done in their lives [huh] Anyway, would it be pincurls that needed to be done to get this look?

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Stephy Wilecat said:
My secret weapon for pincurls are Dolly pegs!

dollypegslg.jpg

My one's pink and called Peggy Sue (yep, I love it so much, I've named it, i mean her!)

You neatly put the end of the bit of hair through the gap and you wind the dolly peg towards you. As you move closer, you tilt the peg so you can wiggle the peg a little out of the curl and then slide the curl off the peg.
Then you pin it flat on your head. I criss-cross bobby pins.

The dolly pegs can also be used for victory rolls. It makes it easier to position them in different ways.

Thankyou lindy charm school for girls!

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot