Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
i wondered how the heck it would dry,
plus imagine what would happen if you blasted your head with a hair dryer,
one fried hair-do , or rather hair-don't ! lol

Actually, considering that highlights can be done using foil (the color is applied and that one strand enclosed in foil)...and that process normally includes dryer time, its not like aiming a hair dryer -at- foil would cause anything to explode.

as long as the foil didnt hit the heating elements and short the dryer...but if your hair was in the -inside- of the dryer...you would have bigger issues then a shorted dryer...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Alternately, you can just use end wraps and use a stick (I use a sharpie marker) to roll the curls from the ends up, pinning into place. This also takes a lot less time. My hair would never dry if I used foil! it seems like the foil would also add a lot of extra bulk on your head.

The main issue I see with the bulk is that it would prevent nice, tight curls. Your curls would be a lot looser/bigger toward the scalp, due to the foil bulk.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I once used foil for curling my hair, but not quite for these sorts of looks. I was really going more for small ringlets to put into a vaguely Regency inspired of updo, and for that it worked perfectly. From memory (it was a few years ago), I used a little bit of mousse, rolled the curls up with the foil and gave it a little blast with the hair dryer at a safe distance. The main thing was not to let the hot foil touch my ears, and not to make the foil very hot. So it probably won't make your head explode or anything, no. ;)

I'm very inspired by the hair styles that ladies are doing just for everyday, I have to say! I bought a couple of hair flowers yesterday to wear closer to summer.

zaika

One Too Many
it is general knowledge that one can't do a decent pin curl set with layered hair?? i'm having problems with the pincurl itself and with the curl staying in my head. i know the mechanics of the pincurl...how to do it and all that...my hair just has so many friggin layers that it seems to be ten times harder than it should be. and therefor the curl comes out...well, it doesn't really come out at all.
my question...what was the basic cut back in the day?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
it is general knowledge that one can't do a decent pin curl set with layered hair?? i'm having problems with the pincurl itself and with the curl staying in my head. i know the mechanics of the pincurl...how to do it and all that...my hair just has so many friggin layers that it seems to be ten times harder than it should be. and therefor the curl comes out...well, it doesn't really come out at all.
my question...what was the basic cut back in the day?

Actually, in order for a pincurl set to come out well, you SHOULD have layers (longer layers work the best). The most popular 1940s haircut is described at http://www.rockabillyhairstyle.com/haircut.html. To keep layers from poking out while rolling the hair, try using end wraps like the kind used for perms (or even a square of toilet paper will do). If the problem you're having is getting the curls to stay once you've pinned them, try using double-pronged pincurl clips instead of bobby pins.

zaika

One Too Many
kittyT-THANK YOU. so i guess it's just me, then. :p everyone's been mentioning end papers...so, i really need to get them. *sigh* i'm determined to do these pin curls...until then...sponge curlers it is.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
kittyT-THANK YOU. so i guess it's just me, then. :p everyone's been mentioning end papers...so, i really need to get them. *sigh* i'm determined to do these pin curls...until then...sponge curlers it is.

No problem, Zaika, glad to be of help.

If you have layers in your hair, you can pretty much replicate a pincurl set by using sponge rollers, hot sticks or pillow rollers without the trouble of pincurls!

Ellie Jane

New in Town
Pin curl set patterns!

I use sponge rollers for my layered hair and they work just fine. I use end papers to make sure I catch all the ends together. I took the little plastic bits out, and threaded strips of rag through the middle to make them comfier to sleep on. I kind of have sponge rag curlers. lol

For the ladies who can do the old pin curls;

http://vintagememoirs.com/hair.html

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere in the Lounge. In fact I'm sure I found it in here, but it's so useful I'm sure no-one will mind a double post. If you click on the pictures lower down the page there are some good patterns for different sets and what each produces. The 'Glamourous Casual' is my current favourite. *must practice pin curls*

zaika

One Too Many
kitty t and ellie jane....so...i've tried twice in the last few days to set my hair again in sponge rollers and have been having the WORST luck. either the front is nice and curly and the back is STRAIGHT or the set doesn't take at all and it's still wet the next morning. any ideas? suggestions? last night i even used setting lotion and my hair didn't even take the curl!! what gives?? now it's just straight and bushy. :( i'm getting tempted to just go to a stylist, but i really want to learn how to do this.
practice makes perfect? helllllp. LOL.

Ellie Jane

New in Town
My method varies depending on how clean my hair is. If I've just washed it it won't take a set if I just use setting lotion, but if I set it the day after a wash it takes just fine. What I'm doing at the mo, is washing then putting on a load of mousse, then blow drying. when its totally dry, I set it using a few spritzes of watered down setting lotion on each strand before I roll it. I've managed to get three days out of a set doing this.

How do you place your rollers Zaika? Maybe you put too much hair in the ones at the back and thats why they don't take? It can be hard to judge when you can't see I think. I use about eight rollers around my hair line, and two at my fringe/bangs on the top of my head. I like the straight then curly look. Hope this helps :p

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
zaika, I've heard that doing a set with 'day after you wash' hair works best. I haven't tried this because usually by that time my hair has turned to frizz and I don't think its worth bothering with. BUT it may work for you.

I feel like I've finally won the fight with my rollers, I think its also trial and error and finding out what works on your hair type. I have thick bushy curly hair and have never used setting lotion or done pin curls but use the hard plastic rollers (which are similar to sponge rollers, just not as comfy to sleep in) To do a set I wash and condition my hair, blow dry until its just slightly damp. Put in some product, (lately I've been using Nexxus sleek style) Brush through, part hair and put in curlers. Then it is crucial that the hair is completely dry before the curlers come out. For me this usually means I have to sleep in them. Anyways, keep trying, I'm sure you'll figure it out!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
kitty t and ellie jane....so...i've tried twice in the last few days to set my hair again in sponge rollers and have been having the WORST luck. either the front is nice and curly and the back is STRAIGHT or the set doesn't take at all and it's still wet the next morning. any ideas? suggestions? last night i even used setting lotion and my hair didn't even take the curl!! what gives?? now it's just straight and bushy. :( i'm getting tempted to just go to a stylist, but i really want to learn how to do this.
practice makes perfect? helllllp. LOL.

Do your set on hair that isn't freshly washed and do a dry set. Use setting lotion and if you have trouble with frizzy ends, use a bit of pomade on the ends as well! Also be sure you are using sections that are small enough to take the curl. Leave the curlers in for several hours and zap your hair several times with the blow dryer.

zaika

One Too Many
LADIES!! Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am totally going to try a dry set on day old hair and see if that works. I really like my hair curly...so this HAS to work. :D

Ellie Jane - I think that you might be right about me putting too much hair in the roller, though. I'm laughing at the fact that I'll need to go get another set of sponge curlers just to have enough for the back. This will make five sets of 14 sponge curlers. LOL.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
When I set my hair, I usually use 6 rollers on each side, 3 rows of 2. In the back, my rows are usually 4 or 5 rollers wide and I do 4 rows. I use pillow rollers for the majority, with sponge rollers for the hair that is shorter underneath. For the hair underneath that is finer and less likely to hold a curl, I use smaller rollers.

zaika

One Too Many
okay. so i did a dry set using setting lotion last night. here's the front, brushed and a sad attempt at waves.

1287121102_15314fd880.jpg

and this is the back. the curls still flattened. so, i just back combed a little.

1286242589_150059172d.jpg

whaddya think? did it turn out alright? would you look at the hair and think vintage? or 80's?

my coworker says 80's.

i'm going to try actual pin curls tonight.

thanks kittyT for your help!!

and sorry to hijack the thread. :eek:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Definitely not 80s, with a row of curls around the head. 80s would be all over curl! I think it looks good for a first attempt. Half of setting your hair is brushing it and brushing the waves into place. That's just something that takes practice. You'll get used to it!

Blondie

Practically Family
For all the gals having a hard time setting your hair, maybe you could find an older style salon where they still do sets. Take a pic in and get your hair washed and set. Tell them you are trying to learn how to do it yourself and they would probably be happy to show you. I just love getting my hair set in an old Nanna salon ! Just think of it as an educational experience, take a notebook and pen, sketch the curler postions etc and take notes !!!!!!!
Just an idea ............

Josephine

One Too Many
Blondie said:
...you could find an older style salon where they still do sets.

That's a good idea, I've been thinking on how to find a place like that, I thought if I saw an older woman in my neighborhood whose hair was 'vintage' I'd ask her where she got her hair done.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
My experience has been that I need to use a 'curling stick' to keep ends under. I use a MAC lipglass tube and roll it up. I slip it off and curl it flat to my head without twisting and pin. I do this with wet hair lightly sprayed with a setting spray. My hair is medium thickness, with layers and about shoulder length. I do it on freshly washed hair and it does fine, but everyone has different hair!

Try using a curling stick to help keep everything tidy and regulate the curl size...that was a big problem for me starting out....weird curls in all sizes and directions! I tend to roll it all clockwise, but would love to do other types of sets. I also take about a finger's width of hair and don't take too much in thickness. I may do a tutorial for my LJ. If so, I can link here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany