Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

MarieAnne

Practically Family
hair nets

When pin curls are used to set hair, it often needs to be covered by a net or scarf of some kind to keep it all together. I have two hair nets that have elastics so they stay on but they are getting loose and stretched out. I am watching 'Grease' right now and the girls are wearing hair nets that seem to tie up above the forehead. They are like fishnets. I was just wondering is anyone knows where I can find those.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne it's so funny you mention the movie GREASE. When I was a kid and saw it for the first time, I was fascinated with those head scarves covering their pin curls! I didn't know you could buy anything like that, my mom and aunt's always used a scarf, so I bought some tulle and cut it up into squares and then triangles. I haven't done this for a while, but I think I could get about 8 -10 of those scarves from a yard. Tulle is very cheap and comes in so many colors - I think I have a project for this week...:)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have been searching this thread and can't seem to find the answer that I am looking for. How long does setting lotion last for? Does it wash out or does it last a few washes?
I currently "set" my hair with a styling foam type thing that washes out but would like to try something that has a bit more hold, could anyone let me know how long their setting lotion lasts for and which kind they use.
If this is already in a thread and I've missed it could someone let me know the link please? Thanks:)

16_sparrows

Vendor
AllaboutEve said:
I have been searching this thread and can't seem to find the answer that I am looking for. How long does setting lotion last for? Does it wash out or does it last a few washes?
I currently "set" my hair with a styling foam type thing that washes out but would like to try something that has a bit more hold, could anyone let me know how long their setting lotion lasts for and which kind they use.
If this is already in a thread and I've missed it could someone let me know the link please? Thanks:)

Setting lotion normally lasts 2 to 3 days, depending on how you care for your curls. It can't last through washes. I don't know of any sets that can hold through a wash, besides a perm.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
16_sparrows said:
Setting lotion normally lasts 2 to 3 days, depending on how you care for your curls. It can't last through washes. I don't know of any sets that can hold through a wash, besides a perm.

Great thanks 16_sparrows, that's kind of what I'm looking for as I'm not so good at pin curls yet and didn't want to get stuck with frizz that I couldn't wash out!

I think I'll be brave and start searching down a bottle of the "lottabody" that a lot of the gals here seem to use. Wish me luck!!:)

nyx

One of the Regulars
16_sparrows said:

It doesn't last through a wash, but what I find odd is that even after I wash my hair after it having been in pincurls, my ends remain still a bit curly or wavier than usual. Since I have stick-straight hair, I've always found that a little strange. Anyone else have that happen?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
nyx said:
It doesn't last through a wash, but what I find odd is that even after I wash my hair after it having been in pincurls, my ends remain still a bit curly or wavier than usual. Since I have stick-straight hair, I've always found that a little strange. Anyone else have that happen?

I too have stick straight hair. After I started using setting lotion and setting my hair, my hair started to have a little tiny bit of a wave to it. However, I can't say if this is from setting lotion and roller sets (which I only do a few times a month) or if it's from getting layers cut into my hair, which happened right around the time I started setting it.

pattygoody

New in Town
AllaboutEve said:
Great thanks 16_sparrows, that's kind of what I'm looking for as I'm not so good at pin curls yet and didn't want to get stuck with frizz that I couldn't wash out!

I think I'll be brave and start searching down a bottle of the "lottabody" that a lot of the gals here seem to use. Wish me luck!!:)

I got a bottle of LottaBody at Sally's yesterday for 3.49! I also bought some smaller Velcro rollers as I haven't mastered pin curls either! LOL Now, if my mom, who is 72, lived near me, I'd have her do it!!!! lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
Ok I tried pincurls for the first time and what hilarious results. Actually I've had 3 compliments already this morning so maybe it's better than I think. I pulled them out and it was Shirley Temple, had to coax it back down to my shoulders. I really wanted a Rita Haworth but it's much too curly for that.
What fun - thanks for all the fabulous advice ladies. I can't wait to try again.

Oh and the alternating rows comment was a lifesaver I think.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
Ok I tried pincurls for the first time and what hilarious results. Actually I've had 3 compliments already this morning so maybe it's better than I think. I pulled them out and it was Shirley Temple, had to coax it back down to my shoulders. I really wanted a Rita Haworth but it's much too curly for that.
What fun - thanks for all the fabulous advice ladies. I can't wait to try again.

Try using larger sections for your pincurls. Also, half of doing pincurls is brushing them out. You may have to brush a LOT in order to get the curls tamed into waves.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I tried pincurls and I ended up laughing because it was such a disaster! I'm all thumbs and pinning the curls into each other was my particular party trick last night. I ended up just using rollers, but I'll try the pin curls again--practice makes perfect.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I will try brushing harder/longer too - I read about the flat brush and will pick one up this weekend. I actually really liked the bob effect I ended up with mid way thru - it's like getting a haircut without the commitment.:D

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I tried a quick set of pin curls the other day. My hair was almost completely dry and I had the pin curls in for about 45 minutes. I didn't used any setting lotion. They looked really good! They didn't last long but they worked out. It was the first time I stuck it out and finished what I started. Yay!
My question now is, how do you make pin curls only at your nape. You never do pin curls all the way to the top. But then how do you section the hair ABOVE the 'pin curl line' and where do you pin them?

I made my part.

Then I sectioned my hair into blocks. Top, sides, and back.

I started at the bottom of the back portion. I sectioned a row at the bottom and put it all up in pincurls. Made a row above that and so on.

When I got to a certain height, I would pin the pincurls on top of the pincurls of the row below it. But that makes taking the pincurls out a nightmare. Is there a better way to do this?

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
I'm afraid my hair will poof out if I do pin-curls. Plus my hair is long and thus hard to do, at least in my opinion. I'd like to keep it long. Are there long styles? (I'm new here! :D )

Miss Brill

One Too Many
These are from one of my 1950s home ec beauty books:

1189474037_f021e55fcf_b.jpg

1189474015_c3dc726e1e_b.jpg

1190321780_60b00ed2f5_b.jpg

1190321754_9cec689efc_b.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I've been thinking about pincurls alot lately as it is very hard to pincurl my stick straight hair. I've seen the so called "curling sticks" and I've wondered, now why isn't there a modern version of this? (Well, except for the fact that so few people pincurl if they attempt to do anything but straighten their hair these days ;) )

I've been thinking of ways I could make my own curl stick.. and then I thought.. why not use a curling iron? (cold of course) It would be the same as if I curl my hair hot and then roll it up and pin it hot, right? Maybe this way I could get the ends in properly and I don't have to work so hard rolling it with my clumsy fingers.

Am I insane? or does it sound logical? I have been meaning to try, but I just haven't had the nerve yet.lol

Goldfish

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
When I do mine, I roll them the same way as if I were doing waves or any other regular set - with pillow rollers. I just use fewer, larger sections, then gently brush them out and pin them under.

1332163015_l.jpg

200610232.jpg

KittyT, that´s looks so beautiful!
Can´t believe you did that with chin lenth hair!

I am a beginner and thought I would just start with the bobby pin method because I read it´s the best method for thin hair, but after reading this thread I think this might be the most difficut way to begin...
on the other hand I am not really got at putting rollers into my hair...
any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum