Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
No, the end paper becomes merely an extension of your own hair. The only difference is that you start rolling the paper around the roller first, rather than your own hair. If you're doing pincurls, it depends on how you're doing them. I use a marker to shape pincurls and roll as if the marker were a regular roller, and then I slide it out and pin it. You want space in the middle of your pincurls.

It just makes it easier to keep the ends in, especially if you have layered hair.

Whatever you feel comfortable with! The ones I use are about 2x3". I use mesh papers instead of the plain ones. They have more texture and hold the hair better. Also, I think they let your hair dry faster.

157991.jpg

You just pin right on top. I use double pronged pincurl clips, which I think are easiest. They give a nice, secure hold

CurlClips.jpg

If this still doesn't make sense, I'll try to do a photo tutorial.

I like the thought of those mesh papers, rather than the more stiff and smooth regular ones.

Thank you so much Kitty, I think I will need to experiment and if I still think it doesn't work after I've tried it myself, I'll write you again. ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
I like using toilet paper to set my hair. It covers more hair & you don't have to bunch up the ends to fit in the tiny little sliver of paper. I haven't tried it with pincurls though.

I like using white tissue paper you wrap presents with. My hair is usually too damp for toilet paper.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Just got a set of the Babyliss hot sticks and I'm trying them right now. So far I'm not impressed at all! They seemed to heat unevenly and a lot of them didn't get as hot as some of the others. I let them heat up for almost half an hour and they still didn't seem to heat up that much. They only seemed to stay hot in my hair for about 5 minutes and none of the heat made it through to the top layer of my curls.

I dunno, maybe I got a faulty set.

zaika

One Too Many
i'm sorry...i can't help it, i'm weird...but i think pin curls are so pretty. i got a chance to do my friend's hair tonight...and i just LOVE the way it turned out. so, excuse me for sharing!! ;) :D

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

alas...when i do my own it's FAR from this pretty....

DSC04729.jpg

:(

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Zaika--Mine never even look that good! I can't figure out to get them in rows, they just end up all over my head. I put my hair in plastic curlers the other night. They turned out okay, but I looked like Shirley Temple to begin with! Post a picture tomorrow so I can see how your hair looks all purty 'n nahce.

Dani California

Familiar Face
hi sweetfrancaise,

i'm sorry for haven't sent you a pm...it doesn't allow me too. not sure why? along with cocktail night we should also do a hair night. can u send me a private message to see if i get it?

i tried pincurls last night...i didn't have trouble rolling them, but had trouble pinning them down. i got a couple and then gave up and put rollers in my hair. i also bought a bonnet dryer from sallys...love it...and used lottabody for the first time. when i let the curlers out this morn...my shoulder length hair became a really really short bob...i think it might have been the setting lotion that made my naturally curly hair even curlier. i had to wet my hair down:) the one thing i did like about the lotion is that i didn't have any frizz until i wet the curls down. so i think next time i try the pincurls and rollers, i won't sleep in them at night but take them out after i blow dry?

on a side note, i went out friday night to hollywood (it's been 2 years since i went to a club!!) and dressed to the nines in my 1940's style. i looked really out of place with all the typical Paris Hilton wannabes, but I did get alot of compliments from guys and dolls:) sadly, i wasn't so lucky in meeting a guy:( next time!

zaika

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
Zaika--Mine never even look that good! I can't figure out to get them in rows, they just end up all over my head. I put my hair in plastic curlers the other night. They turned out okay, but I looked like Shirley Temple to begin with! Post a picture tomorrow so I can see how your hair looks all purty 'n nahce.

i know...it's hard to get them in rows! i guess it's just a matter of feeling it out and hoping for the best. lol i swore off sponge rollers for that very reason. shirley temple!!!

well...here's how my set turned out yesterday.

1802753204_01466ff879.jpg

you just have to forget any travel plans you may have anytime soon and come to portland so i can play with your hair!! lol

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Dani California said:
hi sweetfrancaise,

i'm sorry for haven't sent you a pm...it doesn't allow me too. not sure why? along with cocktail night we should also do a hair night. can u send me a private message to see if i get it?

on a side note, i went out friday night to hollywood (it's been 2 years since i went to a club!!) and dressed to the nines in my 1940's style. i looked really out of place with all the typical Paris Hilton wannabes, but I did get alot of compliments from guys and dolls:) sadly, i wasn't so lucky in meeting a guy:( next time!

about the PM-thing, I think you have to reach 15 posts first before you're allowed to message, so you have four more to go! And yes, most definitely a hair night, 'and we should plan it so the next night, after our hair looks GREAT, we all go out for cocktails. And then we won't worry so much about men because we'll have great company, right?

zaika said:
you just have to forget any travel plans you may have anytime soon and come to portland so i can play with your hair!!

once school's done, count me in!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Zaika, your curls look so soft and pretty!!! I think they came out just beautifully! And the set your did on your friend was awesome! It looks just like the pictures! I bet the final outcome would have more to do with the length of her hair and the comb/brush out. Great Job!

zaika

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
Zaika, your curls look so soft and pretty!!! I think they came out just beautifully! And the set your did on your friend was awesome! It looks just like the pictures! I bet the final outcome would have more to do with the length of her hair and the comb/brush out. Great Job!

oh, thank you red! i've been trying out the pincurl sets on Vintage Memoirs...and the size of my pin curls are just big enough to make it turn out okay. i still don't know how to comb/brush them about so they look just right. oh well...in time!
personally, i think my friend looks fabulous with her hair curled. she doesn't do anything with it normally except wash and go and maybe pigtails on some days. if she hadn't have been sick, i would have stuck around to brush it out more. she has super thick hair, so i bought some pomade to see if i could get it nice and shiny...but that didn't happen. next time though! she was really excited to do it again. :eusa_clap
i will definately be reporting back. my next victim, however, is another friend who has short hair. i'll be trying fingerwaves on her. i'm scared!!:eek:

Goldfish

A-List Customer
How to you get your hair that close to your sculp?
When I try to roll my hair,there´s still a lot of hair underneath the actual pincurl and around it, what am I doung wrong?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
How to you get your hair that close to your sculp?
When I try to roll my hair,there´s still a lot of hair underneath the actual pincurl and around it, what am I doung wrong?

Sounds like you need to be taking smaller sections.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
the sleek crown thing

I'm beginning to get the hang of pin curls. I bought some double pronged alligator clips and they make pinning MUCH easier. I can do pin curls around my face and at the back just fine. The problem I encounter is that when I try to get a sleek crown, the top row of pin curls at the back (3-4" from the top/part) is WAY too thick. Do you try to pin curl all the hair from those 3-4" of scalp into ONE heavy row of pin curls or is there a trick I am unaware of? Do you just take random, small chunks of hair and pin the curls anywhere below the designated sleek-line?

Goldfish

A-List Customer
it's me again with questions - sorry :rolleyes:

1. how do you make sure to seperate hair well while pin curling?
somehow I always manage to put on pin curl over another...:eusa_doh:

2. how do you keep your hair from sticking out?!?

3. do you curl every singe part of your hair - even if it's a very short length?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Goldfish said:
it's me again with questions - sorry :rolleyes:

1. how do you make sure to seperate hair well while pin curling?
somehow I always manage to put on pin curl over another...:eusa_doh:

2. how do you keep your hair from sticking out?!?

3. do you curl every singe part of your hair - even if it's a very short length?

1. First, use a comb with a pointy tip, like the one to the left here:
plastic-comb.jpg

And also use a lot of hair clips and grips to separate the sections completely, I find those small metal ones very helpful, the ones you also can use to fasten the curl itself.

2. Not sure I understand this question. :)

3. Yes, everything should be pinned, imo. Maybe if it's very short you can only get a little twist, half-circle or something, but better than having it stick out straight in the end.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
she might mean the frizziness and the ends poking out?

Setting lotion and end papers seem to be the answer.

Ah, okay. I have not tried end papers yet, I somehow can't seem to make my head understand how to even though Kitty has tried to explain it to me. :eek:

But yeah, make sure your ends arent dry but wet and sticky and then try and tuck them in. I find this difficult too, and after doing a whole head I always find some ends sticking out... Looking forward to hearing about your hair, Smuterella. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters