Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
I've been thinking about pincurls alot lately as it is very hard to pincurl my stick straight hair. I've seen the so called "curling sticks" and I've wondered, now why isn't there a modern version of this? (Well, except for the fact that so few people pincurl if they attempt to do anything but straighten their hair these days ;) )

I've been thinking of ways I could make my own curl stick.. and then I thought.. why not use a curling iron? (cold of course) It would be the same as if I curl my hair hot and then roll it up and pin it hot, right? Maybe this way I could get the ends in properly and I don't have to work so hard rolling it with my clumsy fingers.

Am I insane? or does it sound logical? I have been meaning to try, but I just haven't had the nerve yet.lol

I was wondering the same thing. My hair is so fine and thin - not only thin, but thining - I just don't have much hair to work with in pin curls. And, I just can't get the hang of wrapping the hair around my finger without twisting it.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
thought about the curling iron, too, but I want to wear vintage hair daily and I think the iron may cause a lot of damage to your hair if you use it that often..?

instead of the fingers you a mascara or pencil i suggest

~*Red*~

Practically Family
blackcigarette said:
I think the iron may cause a lot of damage to your hair if you use it that often..?

instead of the fingers you a mascara or pencil i suggest

You wouldn't use it hot. Just use it unplugged so that you could roll up the hair.

I still need to try it.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
I have heard of people using the non-hinge clothes pins. Like the second picture on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothespin

hmm, I've thought about the clothespin too... but my thinking is, the iron would clasp and hold those evil little ends in as I roll, and slide right off the Iron when I release. I am now also thinking that a Marcel iron would work much better than a spring loaded...

This is why I love hair.. so many expirements!!:D

leaette

A-List Customer
i have used those pincurl guides before and it shows that if you put your curls a certain way, you get waves.

is it just me....my hair NEVER waves like that. even if i follow the guide perfectly.
i've given up. i just do pincurls while i watch TV.

zaika

One Too Many
leaette said:
i have used those pincurl guides before and it shows that if you put your curls a certain way, you get waves.

is it just me....my hair NEVER waves like that. even if i follow the guide perfectly.
i've given up. i just do pincurls while i watch TV.

oh, leaette...i have found the same exact thing to be true for me. i want those waves, but i just can't do them.

i wish we could all get together for a pin curl party...do each other's hair, get some REAL, hands on tutoring from those of us who know how, and maybe have a good old movie on in the background. *sigh* it's at times like these that i loathe the internet....[huh]

pincurls and TV...what better combination? lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
~*Red*~ said:
I've been thinking of ways I could make my own curl stick.. and then I thought.. why not use a curling iron? (cold of course) It would be the same as if I curl my hair hot and then roll it up and pin it hot, right? Maybe this way I could get the ends in properly and I don't have to work so hard rolling it with my clumsy fingers.

Why don't you get a scrap of wooden dowel at Home Depot? Or use a marker. Almost anything will do. I use a standard size sharpie marker for mine and it makes perfect sized pincurls. That's much more manageable than a bulky curling iron. If your trouble is getting the ends to stay in, just USE END PAPERS! I use end papers and then roll my hair up using the sharpie, just like i would roll onto rollers, then secure with a pincurl clip. EASY!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Hehe, you make end papers sound easy. I find them to be incredibly frustrating. I just can't get the hang of handling them. For every curl, I use like 5 papers. Part of why I quit trying with my hair. I would spend an hour and only get about half my head done. I will just have to be classic instead of vintage lol

Goldfish

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
You wouldn't use it hot. Just use it unplugged so that you could roll up the hair.

I still need to try it.

ok, thanks, I misunderstood that!

I think I will just try to make pin curls with a mascara and bobby pins, all the other methods seem much to complicated for me, except the clothespin, but I don´t see the advantages of it...?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
blackcigarette said:
I think I will just try to make pin curls with a mascara and bobby pins, all the other methods seem much to complicated for me, except the clothespin, but I don´t see the advantages of it...?

The only advantages/disadvantages to any method really are ease of use. One thing may be easier for you and might not work for someone else (as demonstrated by the recent posts about end papers). You just have to try to see what works for you.

The only real disadvantages are that when you use bobby pins, you'll get ridges in your hair from the pins. Use flat, double-pronged pincurl clips instead.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
don´t want to go on everyones nerves, but aren´t those pincurl clips a lot more damage to your hair than bobby pins?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I would love it if one of you ladies could explain or perhaps illustrate with pictures how exactly to use the end papers, I have tried but I don't understand how you keep them from becoming bulky and falling out... :(

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Hahaha, my first attempt at pin curls ended like this...
You can see I am not lying, I am all thumbs!!!!
Sorry this must be a shame to your eyes lol
I am a dead loss...

I tried the bobby pins + mascara method.
It was surprisingly easy to roll the hair up with mascara, but fixing the curl with bobby pins was fiddly and I really had to fight with my hair.
I will use those pin curls clips next time because the bobby pins didn´t hold the curls in place.
Found it really difficult to set the rolls in a row, one curl next to each other in equal size. Who do you manage that?

Also I was surprised of the amount of hair I got.
It´s very thin there seem to be like millons of hair!

Do you think I will keep it in control when it´s short?

Now on to the pics of the combed hair!

rbbr7r.jpg

1zewqio.jpg

6f096r.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
don´t want to go on everyones nerves, but aren´t those pincurl clips a lot more damage to your hair than bobby pins?

Where on earth did you hear that? How would they be damaging?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
I would love it if one of you ladies could explain or perhaps illustrate with pictures how exactly to use the end papers, I have tried but I don't understand how you keep them from becoming bulky and falling out... :(

You take a section of hair, you take an end paper, and you fold the end paper in half around the section of hair. Next, slide the paper down your hair until the ends are sticking down past the ends of your own hair. When you roll your hair, you start with the paper first and follow up into the hair. This ensures that your ends will lay flat with the paper against the roller.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Goldfish, your hair is lovely and the colour too. You need a little practice with pincurls. When I first made pincurls my hair looked like Afro hair. So try it again and again.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
You take a section of hair, you take an end paper, and you fold the end paper in half around the section of hair. Next, slide the paper down your hair until the ends are sticking down past the ends of your own hair. When you roll your hair, you start with the paper first and follow up into the hair. This ensures that your ends will lay flat with the paper against the roller.

Okay, so you kind of use the tiny bit of paper you roll first as a sort of roller? If I understnad you correctly, which I believe I do, it sounds like it would make it a lot easier to roll the strand of hair up. I have to try it. Do you use the smallest end papers you can find? How big aprox.? And how do you pin the hair with your bobby pin when it has the paper in the middle? Do you just pin right on top of the paper?

I normally pin my hair like this, and use pins like the one they call "hair pin" in the picture below:

pin_curl.jpg

kanzashi_fastenings.jpg

Thank you. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Okay, so you kind of use the tiny bit of paper you roll first as a sort of roller?

No, the end paper becomes merely an extension of your own hair. The only difference is that you start rolling the paper around the roller first, rather than your own hair. If you're doing pincurls, it depends on how you're doing them. I use a marker to shape pincurls and roll as if the marker were a regular roller, and then I slide it out and pin it. You want space in the middle of your pincurls.

If I understnad you correctly, which I believe I do, it sounds like it would make it a lot easier to roll the strand of hair up. I have to try it.

It just makes it easier to keep the ends in, especially if you have layered hair.

Do you use the smallest end papers you can find? How big aprox.?

Whatever you feel comfortable with! The ones I use are about 2x3". I use mesh papers instead of the plain ones. They have more texture and hold the hair better. Also, I think they let your hair dry faster.

157991.jpg

And how do you pin the hair with your bobby pin when it has the paper in the middle? Do you just pin right on top of the paper?

You just pin right on top. I use double pronged pincurl clips, which I think are easiest. They give a nice, secure hold

CurlClips.jpg

If this still doesn't make sense, I'll try to do a photo tutorial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou