Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Put on a shower cap in the shower and ignore people's funny looks?
I sometimes go to the public swimming pool (I want to go once a week but rarely get around to it ...) and I really can't think of any way to save my hairdo.
Pincurls under a swimming cap get wet anyway. I wonder what Esther Williams did ... :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
Put on a shower cap in the shower and ignore people's funny looks?
I sometimes go to the public swimming pool (I want to go once a week but rarely get around to it ...) and I really can't think of any way to save my hairdo.
Pincurls under a swimming cap get wet anyway. I wonder what Esther Williams did ... :)

She used alot of grease.
Vaseline mixed with baby oil to be exact. ;)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
You mean to make the hair water repellant? It must have been a nightmare to get all that grease out afterwards.
It makes me think of those Busby Berkeley-style synchronized swimmers who set their hair with gelatine! lol

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
How was naturally curly hair styled in the 30s/40s?

I have naturally curly hair, and end up just pulling the top (Fringe bit i guess you would say) to the side and pinning it

olive bleu

One Too Many
Rita..I have naturally curly hair as well, and frankly, I think it is a blessing.I think if we look at pictures of real everyday women back then,you won't see everyone with fingerwaves, pincurls, etc. If you look at formal portraits or pictures of movie stars tough, you might be tempted to think every woman spent hours on her hair everyday, but of course that could not have been any more true than it is now.

As curly,feminine hair WAS the trend, however, i feel i can easily get away with just making sure my hair is soft and curly and pinning my fringe to one side.I really only make a bigger effort than that for special occasions.If I'm doing nothing more than this with my hair, and am wearing a vintagey outfit and red lipstick, I will still get told i look like a 1930's movie star. so i must be doing something right.

In this pic, some of the ladies have waves and some don't.

noraladies.jpg

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
Rita..I have naturally curly hair as well, and frankly, I think it is a blessing.

Too true!

I happened by my "daily" look by accident one day, The front part was fluffy and frizzy, so I pinned it...

I only bother with the velcros when in the mood........its just too annoying to do all the time!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Olive Bleu, I want the wardrobe of the lady with the ample bosom! what a great pic. So sick of being told there weren't big gals then!

My hair is naturally curly and at an event last year it rained nearly all week, you know what I gave up! Just pinned the sides!

typical, a photographer turned up.:mad:

KateatbeltringBW-1.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
Kitty, I've never bought that either.I've seen plenty of pictures of women that were larger. My Grandmother was a very large lady actually.

zaika

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
Kitty, I've never bought that either.I've seen plenty of pictures of women that were larger. My Grandmother was a very large lady actually.

sorry to go :eek:fftopic: this weekend i watched a 1957 special about 'the golden age of comedy' (the 1920's silent movies) and i was surprised to see quite a few heavy women in the clips they showed. and they weren't used for the butt of jokes, either. well...one was. :mad:

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
My hair is very short and thin/fine, so there isn't a lot of it and I can set my hair in about 15 minutes, but I've been doing pin curls on and off for almost 20 years, so I can go pretty fast:)

Blondie

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
How long does it actually take you gals to do a whole head of pin curls? My boyfriend just set my head and it took him almost 2 hours. lol
WOW !
What boyfriend school did he go to ??????????

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Hihi, yes, he's a keeper! I'm lucky, I think he just had a good mom who taught him good, feminine values and appreciation for women.

RetroMom, I find it amazing that you can set your hair in 15 minutes, I hope I'll be as fast some day... Or that my boyfriend will be. ;)

Oki, but you should see the result of his work so I've posted pictures in the "Show us your hair do's"-thread.

alexandra

Practically Family
I never had my boyfriends do my hair before but it gets me to thinking...

I did, however, make my last boyfriend put on my shoes sometimes, just to make sure I was still the alpha male haha. Ah, I'm a horrible girl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo