Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
navet_confit said:
Amy Jeanne, my pincurls never look that great befor brushing out!

I wanted to post the two setting patterns I used before I cut my hair:

tutehair.jpg

to get this:

domilj1.jpg

(you just have to roll the back and pin it)

Second pattern:

settingpattern.jpg

:O I didn't know ladies like you existed anymore with out the aid of a team of stylists i have a feeling you're giving me false hope ;) beautiful hair, my goodness. Friday I'm so trying out the bottom pattern!

jsands

New in Town
After trying sponge curls, I decided that they weren't for me. I much prefer pincurls, though it's still a new technique as well. I decided to invest in a pro-curler after discovering them here! It's such a neat gadget. Mine should be arriving shortly, and I can't wait to try it out. Any tips for those who have one and use it?

20372_1231620549177_1189047841_30584854_7537089_n.jpg

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'm sitting with my pincurls in now, going to brush them out in the morning... I've lost my boar-bristle brush though so I'm a bit dubious about the results! Going to test out their wear against a hard day of rock climbing tomorrow! x

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
Pro Curler

I've got one of those Pro curlers. I couldn't quite understand how to use it, and it didn't seem any easier than hand pin curling. I haven't given up yet though.
Good luck!

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
I just have to say, I am awed by all the gorgeous sets in this thread. It gives me hope! :eek:

I just cut my hair into a bob and am trying to master the pin curled wave. Suffice to say it is not going well, but at least I have a cut now where if the set comes out awful, I can jump in the shower and wear it straight - I do not miss those days of the "what the hell do I do with my failed set?"

the Milliner

New in Town
I had those as a kid

I had those as a kid and I am 52. We had a bag of pinkish ones in the bathroom. They worked just fine and the end just sort of fold over the hair in the middle and held it. Good for shorter hair. Wow, never thought I'd see those again.

Loren Taylor

New in Town
Do any of you lovely ladies know where I can buy some 'real' pin curl clips? I'm currently using bobby pins but they just aren't doing the trick!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Loren Taylor said:
Do any of you lovely ladies know where I can buy some 'real' pin curl clips? I'm currently using bobby pins but they just aren't doing the trick!

You might get lucky and find some at a well-stocked drug store, but you will probably have to go to a beauty supply store. Sally's carries them if you have one in your neck of the woods.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I searched for them on the Sally's website, but I don't really know what I'm looking for, and I came up empty. Could you post a link or a picture? Thanks!

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Gracie Lee said:
I searched for them on the Sally's website, but I don't really know what I'm looking for, and I came up empty. Could you post a link or a picture? Thanks!

They are simply called Pin Curl clips. If you Froogle them, you should find them if you don't have a beauty supply store around you.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
First pin curl set

Hi everyone! I got my first middy cut yesterday, which is pretty cute unstyled. By the time I got home and read the styling threads here on the Lounge, I'm feeling brave to try pin curls.

I couldn't get to a beauty supply store for lottabody, so I picked up pin curl clips and some stuff called Duddly's Setting Gel at my local drug chain - I live in a neighborhood with lots of lil ol ladies so it seemed very likely they'd have the supplies.

My stylist told me that with a setting gel, a wet pin curl set should last all week, with daily touch-ups. But since this is my first attempt at setting my hair with any kind of curling tools, I'm going to try pin curls with just wet hair. Thanks for all the pics and advice.

There was a photo of Swing Time early in this thread...I'm going to watch it for inspiration and keep this thread open and to keep going. In the spectrum of hair thickness, curl and density, I'm probably right in the middle: a bit wavy, not fine and thin but not dense and thick either.

I haven't managed to read every page of this thread yet, but I have only one unanswered question about pin curls: how long is this going to take me?

BoPeep

Practically Family
Welcome, Tenuki! I think expecting your pincurls to last a whole week (5-7 days) is a bit hopeful. Setting gel, of any kind, will help. And if you re-pin some curls every night that will help immensely, too. I do a wet set with gel, sleep in it, and re-pin the front curls each night to help them keep a better shape throughout the week. But even at that, I only get about 3 days of good looking curls. By Day Four, the back is pretty flat, and it's time for a headscarf! It takes me 15-20 minutes to pin them up. But as you know, by reading this thread, there are so many options with pincurls that you're just going to have to figure out what works best for your hair and lifestyle. It's all practice, practice, practice!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Thanks BoPeep! Well, my stylist has dense super-curly hair and she only washes it once a week.

I look forward to the day it takes me 20 minutes to set my pin curls. For today, I hope Swing Time is long enough! :)

Plan B: I'm going to try the setting get...my hair is now so short, it's already beginning to dry...

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Wow. I'm done. It won't win awards for the most beautiful pins curls ever, but 20 minutes! Now I'm off the find the thread about tying a bandana.

Thanks hailey greenhat for reposting navit-confits pin curl diagram. I don't think all my curls in each row are curled in the same direction but I was thankful for having this page open as a reference.:eusa_clap

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
My first pin curl set..the pics

I look forward to the day when I achieve a wonderful vintage style, but after seeing everyone's practiced and lovely hairstyles, I want to encourage other newbies to try, try again.
4519559115_e070e2dbf2.jpg

I was so worried about my setting for the first time, that I didn't consider what to do when the pins were out...
4519559117_7e9cc5c78a.jpg

Somewhat frustrated with the wacky curls....I read more of this thread and tried brushing and brushing but wasn't so happy with the results and used hair combs and a bit of hairspray:
4519563319_8e561f110f.jpg

While I don't think this was a particularly successful vintage look, I received many compliments. I certainly will keep trying because it was a lot of fun. I would appreciate any comments and advice on my first attempt. Thanks.

jsands

New in Town
Hi Tenuki! I can completely relate to your frustration. Ive only done a handful of pincurl sets, so I am by far NOT an expert! :)

A lot of the different styles rely on which direction you are pincurling. Each style achieves a different curl/look. I haven't even mastered the simple fact of creating a decent pincurl yet, so being able to section my hair this way is pretty daunting. Right now with the cut that I have, it is hard to replicate the correct amount of curls, and so I end up with a less-unified and more wayward look.

Like you, rather than throw in the towel, I am determined to find my "niche" when it comes to styling my hair with pincurls. It is frustraiting, but when you think about how this is how women used to style their hair EVERY DAY, they had plenty of time to perfect their method. We will get it eventually! :)

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi Jsands.

I tried to remember which direction my curls were going, but I got a bit focused on the act of making the curl and lost track of direction. But, that's, ok, I know it will come with time and practice.

I just may turn into the lady mom always wanted! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner