Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
LisaFreemontSt said:
I posted a tutorial on pincurls...it's a very basic set and not suitable for just every pincurled style. But this is how I do it. I do think that it is ALL in the brushing out! I agree wholeheartedly w/ Fleur's vid on hot sticks...most people give up when they see the frizz but it goes away! Ha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmIQlK-HYA

It's been awhile since I've posted, but SO excited to see you on here!!! I'm a HUGE fan and a subscriber to your youtube channel. Your tutorials are fantastic!!! Your instructions are super easy to follow and I have had such luck with my hair because of your videos.

Sorry...just had to say something...faithful follower!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Has anyone been successful pin-curling long thick hair? I've attempted a few sample curls but never tried my whole head. Even when I choose small sections, the curl ends up huge and it won't lay flat. I'm afraid to use sections any smaller because it seems like it will just make it frizzy. If you have had success I'd love to see pictures of your set and results. Otherwise I'm thinking I might just need to cut my hair to make it work.

P.S. I haven't tried perm rods but I know I won't be able to sleep in them. I had trouble sleeping with just rag curls.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Audrey Horne said:
Has anyone been successful pin-curling long thick hair? I've attempted a few sample curls but never tried my whole head. Even when I choose small sections, the curl ends up huge and it won't lay flat. I'm afraid to use sections any smaller because it seems like it will just make it frizzy. If you have had success I'd love to see pictures of your set and results. Otherwise I'm thinking I might just need to cut my hair to make it work.

P.S. I haven't tried perm rods but I know I won't be able to sleep in them. I had trouble sleeping with just rag curls.

I have! Unforently, The best picture I have of my curls(Which isn't all that great of both me and the curl) is this:
304lindsy.jpg
and no pictures of my set...But next time I do the set, I'll take pictures of the curl and set and post(Just gotta get SOME MORE bobby pins.).

But it can defiently happen. All you gotta do is get some good setting lotion or gel, and and pick or use your fingers to smooth the curl down(Brushing, I find, tends to make hair frizzy, for me atleast.)

navet_confit

New in Town
Amy Jeanne, my pincurls never look that great befor brushing out!

I wanted to post the two setting patterns I used before I cut my hair:

tutehair.jpg

to get this:

domilj1.jpg

(you just have to roll the back and pin it)

Second pattern:

settingpattern.jpg

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:

I never had much success with pincurls and my long thick hair, but I think that had more to do with the fact that my hair already has a lot of natural curl and is coarse. No matter how much or little I brushed, it would just turn to frizz. I use perm rods now and my sets (usually!) turn out much better than they ever did with pincurls. That said, my hair is shorter now too, which probably makes things easier. I never thought I'd get used to sleeping in them, but I can do it now -- just as long as I sleep on my back!

cecil

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne said:

Yep!

I've lightened and contrasted the heck outta this photo so that you can see the hair better. It's still a bit hard to see though, sorry!

4107223001_ff4720d45b_o.jpg

A pic of a similar set. This has been posted here already, so apologies to ladies who have seen it.

4107223015_fd72235591_o.jpg

The curls end up looking like little tubes rather than flat circles. Doesn't matter. Use one bobby pin on each side of your little tube rather than the normal two criss-crossed pin layout.

cecil

A-List Customer
crazydaisy said:
Cecil, did you not use to be a blonde? What colour is your hair now?

Oh love I used to be everything! lol

Yep, first photo I posted here it was a real brassy apricot blonde. Fake as all get out but I liked it! Then it was bright bright orange.
( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/hotbake/P1010316.jpg )
Then I went a deep burgundy colour and currently it's a ruby red. It was dyed for a photoshoot, It's the wrong red for me and I'm not really a fan. Going a classic Julianne Moore redhead-red next. :D

Here's the ruby red, taken on the weekend. Excuse my bad hairdo, I was hungover and couldn't be bothered:
4113683640_4bb477c618_o.jpg

cupcake

Familiar Face
Cecil, what setting lotion do you use? Lottabody isn't available here is it?

Oh oh! And OT: what foundation do you use! You look about as pale as me and as of yet I've been entirely unsuccessful finding one to match.

cecil

A-List Customer
cupcake said:
Cecil, what setting lotion do you use? Lottabody isn't available here is it?

Oh oh! And OT: what foundation do you use! You look about as pale as me and as of yet I've been entirely unsuccessful finding one to match.

Yes it is! :D I buy it from the african hair salon in my suburb. it's $15, I'd be happy to send you some if you can't find it.

My foundation is by The Make-Up Store and the shade is Milk. It's around the same price point as MAC. Brilliant stuff! They do powders as well. Really pale, not pink either.

Also, "L'oreal True Match super-blendable makeup" in Porcelain W1 is discontinued here (made me so mad!) but you can find it on US ebay. Palest ever. For all her money and glamour, this is the foundation that Dita Von Teese uses. Also Maybelline Shine Free in ivory. Again discontinued but old stock is still around if you look on the net.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
cecil said:
Yep!

4107223001_ff4720d45b_o.jpg

The curls end up looking like little tubes rather than flat circles. Doesn't matter. Use one bobby pin on each side of your little tube rather than the normal two criss-crossed pin layout.

Thanks Cecil, you look lovely! Well, a few of you have given me hope so maybe I'll give it a try :)

cupcake

Familiar Face
Ah yes! I had that l'oreal foundation when I was 14/15 then when I went back to get some more it was gone! Ebay here I come.

I'll have to check my local afro store for the lottabody, thanks for the heads up.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Cecil I asked about your hair because I thought your black and white pics where you look more like a brunette are really cool and I think darker hair looks really beautiful and classy on you. I really love both your new avatar and the pic you posted. I like the red too, but again rather darker than light and bright. But it sounds as if you have different preferences...lol

cecil

A-List Customer
crazydaisy said:
Cecil I asked about your hair because I thought your black and white pics where you look more like a brunette are really cool and I think darker hair looks really beautiful and classy on you. I really love both your new avatar and the pic you posted. I like the red too, but again rather darker than light and bright. But it sounds as if you have different preferences...lol

Thankyou! And you're right. I don't like the colour it is now or the bright orange, and while I don't actually want to go brown (wearing my natural hair colour? Heaven forfend!) I want to go for a more natural dark auburn colour. I've had outrageous hair colours for so long that I find them boring now. I want classy hair!

theplaiddress

New in Town
Alright, here's my first pincurl attempt. Turned out poufier and frizzier than I'd hoped, but I'm quite satisfied considering I've never done this before and I'm usually all thumbs when it comes to styling. I think the puffiness can be remedied by picking up a bristle brush and using that instead of the wide-toothed comb which is the only comb I currently have... Any other thoughts? Maybe end papers? And less of a deer in the headlights stare lol

Photo%2018.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
theplaiddress said:
Alright, here's my first pincurl attempt. Turned out poufier and frizzier than I'd hoped, but I'm quite satisfied considering I've never done this before and I'm usually all thumbs when it comes to styling. I think the puffiness can be remedied by picking up a bristle brush and using that instead of the wide-toothed comb which is the only comb I currently have... Any other thoughts? Maybe end papers? And less of a deer in the headlights stare lol

Hi theplaiddress! well done for a first pincurl attempt! I agree a bristle brush is better than a comb and when it starts to frizz - keep brushing!! it seems counter-intuitive, but you just have to keep brushing to get good curl. I'd also suggest a bit of modern frizz serum of your choice. I've never tried end papers when I pincurl, but I do use them when i rag roll and the curls do turn out much smoother.

Keep at it - practicing is part of the fun of learning!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Plaiddress, I second what Inky said! You should've seen my first pincurl sets...huge, poofy messes! In addition to a good brushing, I also found that my sets has less frizz once I started using setting lotion. But the brushing is the key to unlocking a lot of styles. Don't be afarid to brush, and brush a lot! Also, you can mold the curls as you brush them to either turn under, flip up or to separate them into ringlets. I brushed my set into a long pageboy this morning. I used to be so afraid of the pincurl set but once you get used to it you'll find it's wonderful foundation for so many styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy