Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

MissHannah

One Too Many
LadyLuck said:
Yeah, my hair goes down to the middle of my back, and is crazy thick to boot. That may be why it takes so stinkin' long! Thanks for the tips, though. I appreciate it!

I don't know how people with long hair do pin curls - I can only do them when my hair is shoulder length or shorter - bobby pins just can't hold them when it's longer and if your hair is thick you run out of room on your scalp to pin to!

You hair looks wonderful in your avatar LadyLuck - is it pinned up at the back?

Vanessa

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
I don't know how people with long hair do pin curls - I can only do them when my hair is shoulder length or shorter - bobby pins just can't hold them when it's longer and if your hair is thick you run out of room on your scalp to pin to!

I've taken to using double prong alligator clips instead of bobby pins. My hair is long but thin so if I run out of space I start overlapping. They're also great for standing pin curls.

41dBNoEr4XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
You must make much bigger pin curls than me then. And after sleeping on perm rods I can sleep on ANYTHING! lol

My hair is coarse as well as thick and there's just a lot of it, around the back anyway. I got my pincurl clips from superdrug and I swear they wouldn't hold at all. Where are yours from Smuts? (I know we can compare techniques on friday night anyway - I can't wait to see other gals' hair setting methods.)

LadyLuck

New in Town
MissHannah said:

You hair looks wonderful in your avatar LadyLuck - is it pinned up at the back?

I am slightly ashamed to admit that my hair in my avatar is a wig. My hair is blazing red, and that picture was taken while I was in costume for a show in which I played a black-haired character. I'll try to post a picture of my real hair soon!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
To those who use those metal duckbill/alligator clips: Do you find they are hard to sleep on? I've only used bobby pins for my pincurl sets and they usually leave a trail around the house like breadcrumbs. I'm thinking I might need something with more grip.

Anwen

New in Town
Smuterella said:
I can't come on Friday I don't think, unless I leave really early. 9ish.

I got mine from Sally's in Angel.

Wait, there's a Sally's at Angel?? I've been shlepping up to Shaftesbury Avenue! Where is it?

Anwen

New in Town
Smuterella said:
google Salon Services Islington and google brings you a map and everything!

x

Fabulous, I tried looking on the Sally website for UK branches, but got horribly confused by their stupid website, which claims they have NO STORES in the UK. Thanks!

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Speaking of Pin curls:)D )...My nan and I were just talking about Girdles and Pin curls, and she was telling me that my great-Aunt Bea used to do her pin curls, where she would have the ends of her hair sticking out..Well, When she went to bed, She used to stick her girdle on her head. I thought that was rather funny, and thought I'd share.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jenniferose7 said:
To those who use those metal duckbill/alligator clips: Do you find they are hard to sleep on? I've only used bobby pins for my pincurl sets and they usually leave a trail around the house like breadcrumbs. I'm thinking I might need something with more grip.

I use the duckbill clips for the front of my hair only, the part that forms my front roll, and as long as I don't sleep face down they're not a problem.

The only regular bobbies I've ever found that really hold are ones I bought at K-Mart about ten years ago, and am desperately holding on to. Every other kind I've gotten since then, whether from Sally's or some drug store, have been too loose and end up all over the bed.

One thing that does help is to wear a wave cap over the pins - a thickly woven hairnet. They have them at Sally's, and are well worth the investment. They make one look like a comic-strip housewife, the sort that greets hubby with rolling pin in hand, but hey, sacrifices must be made.

cecil

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
I have cigarette and arm breaks frequently! It's hard work dammit!

Maybe the key is to be tipsy? Don't overdo it though, I woke up with tennis elbow once because I didn't notice the strain on my arm during. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: lol lol lol

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
I was reading this thread after having no so great results with sponge rollers....the person who said to WATCH THE TENSION AS YOU WIND THE HAIR....THANK YOU! Now I am having much better results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy