Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

Emer

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies! I was very bummed they didn't hold well. :( But I'll try some day after remidies, be it re-curling or updos!

pumori

New in Town
Hi ladies, sorry if this topic has appeared in the thread before but I didn't have time to read though every post...

I have a question: Is it even possible to do tight pin curls with very short hair? Or with hair that has many layers? My hair is about at the bottom of my ear, just barely... but the top is shorter because I buzzed all my hair off a while ago and of course it's coming back in layers. Could I pin curl it? I tried foam rollers but obviously that failed...the hair is still far too short :/

SayCici

Practically Family
pumori said:
Hi ladies, sorry if this topic has appeared in the thread before but I didn't have time to read though every post...

I have a question: Is it even possible to do tight pin curls with very short hair? Or with hair that has many layers? My hair is about at the bottom of my ear, just barely... but the top is shorter because I buzzed all my hair off a while ago and of course it's coming back in layers. Could I pin curl it? I tried foam rollers but obviously that failed...the hair is still far too short :/
Well, there is a minimum amount of length you need to have. I have pretty short hair and usually the only parts I can really get a good pin curl with is around the crown, with hair that is 2 to 3 inches long, and two is really cutting it close. It's not so much a matter of "could it hold a bobby pin" as it is "can you even get a hold of it to wrap around".

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
pumori said:

I love your short hair! But if pincurls aren't an option, perhaps you can fingerwave? Not that I am an expert on THOSE , or anything. :)

cecil

A-List Customer

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I know, I know, I ask way too many questions...I'm assuming the setting for this hairstyle:
pin-curls-hair.jpg
is pin curls...and I was just wondering what the setting pattern was...Do you just smooth down the top, and kind of "pile" the pin curls on top of each other, or...something else?

Thanks!

......Lollipop

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
If short hair doesn't work in pin curls, what does one call the curls my grandmother puts her rather short hair into each night? I suddenly feel very confused about what a pin curl is and how it is made.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lollipop said:
Hi all,

I know, I know, I ask way too many questions...I'm assuming the setting for this hairstyle:
pin-curls-hair.jpg
is pin curls...and I was just wondering what the setting pattern was...Do you just smooth down the top, and kind of "pile" the pin curls on top of each other, or...something else?

Thanks!

......Lollipop

This looks a lot like a set I used to make, if you look back in time for posts made by me in this thread you can find the instructions. Here is the setting pattern. It's a wet set, you sleep with them and then you take them out and brush until you have the shape you want. Focus on smoothing out the top if you want to achieve that result. You can see more pictures of it on my Flickr.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lollipop said:
Thanks so much!

Geez, Your pin curls are PERFECT...How the heck do you do them like that?

My boyfriend usually helps me with the back, since no, it is not possible to do them that perfect in the back all by yourself! Don't worry, I have had good results even when they were less perfectly arranged by me alone. :)

Antje

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
If short hair doesn't work in pin curls, what does one call the curls my grandmother puts her rather short hair into each night? I suddenly feel very confused about what a pin curl is and how it is made.

Even with short hair you can make pincurls it is just a bit harder to do.
we had to learn pincurling on short hair at school

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Thanks - I was confused that she called them pin curls but it seemed like maybe they weren't. I always assumed she knew what she was talking about since she went to beauty school back in the 50's and was a hair dresser for a bit.

LadyLuck

New in Town
Forgive me if this question has already been posted, but I don't have the time or energy to read eighteen pages of posts! Haha... Anyway. I pin curl my hair every night, but it takes two hours to do it. Am I doing something wrong? Am I the only one who takes this much time to set the curls?

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
I used to take about the same time to pin curl mine. I have a great amount of hair and I thought this was the reason I took so long.

When I finally thought I had found a quicker way to pin curl the whole hair (from 1h30 and terrible arm pain to about 20 minutes) it suddenly stop working. The curls just disappear after an hour at most.
I haven't found out the reason yet, maybe it is the 1h30 I thought I had learned to spare my arms.
So... feel fortunate you have yours working! :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I take about 30 minutes each night to pincurl my whole head, minus the crown. It looks like this:

9733_128932889163_624014163_2476369_4412116_n.jpg

This was before I had layers, so you can see that the pincurls are big and chunky and kind of far apart. They are very close now, a lot smaller, and not so heavy-looking. The layers make the actual curls more "springy" and fluffy.

9927_153899174163_624014163_2702099_4752502_n.jpg

I put one of these babies on top to give it that "bump" by the part. It also makes a nice wave! Plz excuse the no makeup/eyebrows.

7817_306873640541_533175541_9299861_6879811_n.jpg

Not the best pic, but it was the only one I had where my hair looked full and decent! I wear it like this everyday. I like the straight crown and curly sides and back. I flip-brush out the pincurls lightly, shape by hand, gel down parts of it, flatten and barret (sp?) the sides, then spray away!

If the tempature is cooperating my hair is a curly, vintage dream in the morning (I sleep with all this stuff on my head!) If it's muggy out (which it has been for the past couple days!) my head won't fully dry overnight and I'll sweat on top of that. In the morning, I'll pull out half dry-and-curly/half wet-and-straight pincurls. That's when I have to bust out the curling iron. Like today, I won't take a picture of my hair because I'm not happy with it -- it's got a "wilted" thing going on. :rage:

Lollipop

Familiar Face
LadyLuck said:
Forgive me if this question has already been posted, but I don't have the time or energy to read eighteen pages of posts! Haha... Anyway. I pin curl my hair every night, but it takes two hours to do it. Am I doing something wrong? Am I the only one who takes this much time to set the curls?

If you roll from the end, That could possibly be the reason. I know if I rolled from the end to scalp, It would take me 3 days to finish my pin curls. A faster way is just to wrap the hair around the finger closer to the scalp, then slide the hair off the finger, and finish rolling it. Not exactly the right way to do it, But it works just as good.

It only takes me a half hour, when I'm not being lazy...An hour, at the most, when I am being lazy, and that's with thick and curly hair!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have a lot of hair and it takes me about 45 mins. I use velcro rollers on top and pincurl the rest. I use the method Lollipop describes, being careful not to twist the hair as i wind it around my finger. My set isn't very exacting but I get a result I'm happy with :)

221009Set1.jpg

221009Set2.jpg

221009Set3.jpg

101009A.jpg

101009B.jpg

101009C.jpg

Antje

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
I have a lot of hair and it takes me about 45 mins. I use velcro rollers on top and pincurl the rest. I use the method Lollipop describes, being careful not to twist the hair as i wind it around my finger. My set isn't very exacting but I get a result I'm happy with :)

221009Set1.jpg

221009Set2.jpg

221009Set3.jpg

101009A.jpg

101009B.jpg

101009C.jpg

Very handy the velcro's on top, you look great!!!

I can now do my pincurls in like 30 minutes, but I think it also depends on the lenght and tickness of the hair

LadyLuck

New in Town
Yeah, my hair goes down to the middle of my back, and is crazy thick to boot. That may be why it takes so stinkin' long! Thanks for the tips, though. I appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael