Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

shindeco

A-List Customer
Mycroft said:
Out of curosity what is a good way to start wearing ascots, what to get them with, etc.?

The only thing to remember is that the ascot (the "under the collar" kind; there is also the formal ascot worn with a morning coat) has always been an informal alternative to a tie. They work well with a blazer and light coloured trousers; don't really work with a business suit. I've been known to wear them with a sweater vest (see avatar picture) or just with a shirt. They're great in tropical climates and places with a lot of bugs.

The best way to start wearing one? Just put it on and wear it.

Mycroft

One Too Many
shindeco said:
The only thing to remember is that the ascot (the "under the collar" kind; there is also the formal ascot worn with a morning coat) has always been an informal alternative to a tie. They work well with a blazer and light coloured trousers; don't really work with a business suit. I've been known to wear them with a sweater vest (see avatar picture) or just with a shirt. They're great in tropical climates and places with a lot of bugs.

The best way to start wearing one? Just put it on and wear it.

Thanks a lot, I will look into them.

Kardor

New in Town
3PieceSuitGuy said:
They are pre tied with velcro. Would not wear a velcro ascot, they are not that hard to tie! I think these are mainly wedding ascots

Actually they have both kinds, The tie yourself ascots are called cravats. Go to their website and click on "coordinates". Besides their bow ties are top drawer. Get a hard copy catalog. Shirts, vests, long ties, just a fantastic resource.

Robin DeWitt

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
I stand corrected

.... Didn't see the Cravat section just the ascot. I would usually call them cravats but have been using the US term on the site.

The look great, just a little on the expensive side, but their striped materials are great.

Cheers

Peter

Westward

New in Town
3PieceSuitGuy said:
They are pre tied with velcro. Would not wear a velcro ascot, they are not that hard to tie! I think these are mainly wedding ascots

It's true that ascots are not hard to tie, but they are hard to keep in place. Unlike a regular tie, they tend to loosen, shift around. When I wear them, I have to expect to make occasional adjustments to keep in place and tucked. Not so the velcro ones. While I surprise myself (not like pre-done anythings), I have to say that the velcro ones look great and solve the adjustment problem. They even feel comfortable. So, you might want to give velcro a chance.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Ascots (Merged Threads)

My mother just asked me what I think of the whole cravat/ascot look. While I have a great deal of respect for my mother's high standards when it comes to dress in general, I told her it didn't strike me as a "masculine" enough look. She said she loves to see a well-dressed man with an open shirt collar with a fine cravat. I think maybe I do find an open-collar/no-tie look to be slightly lacking. Certainly, I don't mean to emphasize those pesky hairs peaking out at the base of my neck :icon_smil. What do folks on The Lounge think (my mother wants to know)?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Always listen to your Mother!
Look for a cravat in solid colors or pin dots first, then ease into the showier ones.
Check out the posts by Shindeco, he 's got cravats down to a science.
Check out his post about wearing one to Burning Man!

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Flitcraft said:
Always listen to your Mother!
Look for a cravat in solid colors or pin dots first, then ease into the showier ones.
Check out the posts by Shindeco, he 's got cravats down to a science.
Check out his post about wearing one to Burning Man!
I especially like the part about getting whipping lessons from a dominatrix. As far as how to wear an ascot, it seems they are worn "lower and farther" from the shirt collar than I would have thought (I gather from pictures of Shindeco and WR). There was a photo on one thread of an outfit with jeans, a blazer and a cravat; I liked that look a fair amount. I liked Shindeco's Burning-Man/Indiana-Jones look too. There were some other photos on that same thread where the cravat was shown more out front and in your face. I don't like that look so much. Am I right they should be worn as Shindeco and WR do?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I especially like the part about getting whipping lessons from a dominatrix.

Thanks for sharing- its little life lessons like that that put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!
But I digress-

If you follow WildRoot and shindeco down the path to sartorial perfection in all things ascot, you should be fine.

As a side note, I don't know if its genetic or not, but British guys always look great in ascots. They've really got that "casual, but put-together" look down pat. I know he's from New Zealand, but check out Sam Neil in "Reilly: Ace of Spies", or Jeremy Irons in "Brideshead Revisited" or even Raf Fiennes, the Arctic explorer. These guys make wearing an ascot look pretty cool and not at all effeminate.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
adamgottschalk said:
What do folks on The Lounge think (my mother wants to know)?

I think your mother has very good taste, and I would certainly encourage giving ascots (or cravats) a try. There are few "looks" that are able to ride between being both "casual and refined" as well as an ascot with an open collar. I sport this look quite a bit.

You may find more info here if you are interested in persuing:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8937

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
I think ascots can look great on anybody, you just need to muster the courage to start wearing them. I tried ascots after the ''sport coat & shirt with no tie'' look got tiresome. They can really give your appearance an added touch of refinement.

I'm hardly an expert on clothes, but I prefer the way they look with silk shirts (or poly) than with cotton. You don't only have to wear ascots with blazers, either. A shirt alone is fine. They can also look dashing with a cricket sweater or any other kind of knit sweater with a v-neck.

I stepped out in one today. Here's my take on the subject:

color (sorry for the blurry photos)

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Very Sharp ...

Very sharp indeed Nonchalant. Would like to wear them myself, just not that common in Australia. I have worn them for theatre events, but not just as me. I like your style though

Cheers

Peter

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Ascots are practical too.

I'd just like to add that ascots have a practical, functional purpose; as well as being decorative.

Here in the northwoods winters, I wear heavy wool trousers (with braces) and heavy wool shirts when I go out in the field for my wildlife research. I always wear an ascot under the heavy wool shirt. It keeps my neck warm and (more importantly) the ascot keeps my neck from being chafed by the rough wool collar of the shirt.
LumberJack.gif
WWI pilots flying in an open cockpit adopted the silk scarf/ascot for the same practical purpose. They were constantly scanning the sky 360 degrees around them, watching for the enemy. The ascot protected their necks from chafing. I am constantly scanning for wildlife sign and my ascot serves the same purpose for me.

This being said, I confess that I also like to wear ascots with casual dress for more decorative purposes. The neck area is the very center of one's presentation, and I think a bare, hairy neck or exposed underwear is very unsightly. If an ascot is too much for you, in cooler weather you can wear a turtleneck under your shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy