Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I've posted some over at the 'Tootal' page, but here is one that isn't Tootal. A 'Joxford' (or is it J Oxford?) cravat. Unknown cloth, but 'Crease Resistant' and it has been unfortunately over-pressed at some point.

:)

Mitchell

New in Town
I'm seventeen and I own two ascots. I purchased them at vintage store while I was visiting London, England. I can probably count on one hand the times I've worn them. But I love them; with that said, It takes a pair of balls to wear them casually like Bogart or Astaire once did. I wore one when I was in Havana on New Years Eve; It was a nod to the Godfather part II. I work at a shoe store and our dress code is business casual, in the traditional sense, not T-Shirts and what have you. Ascots are really a slippery slope, especially if you're my age, because you run the risk of looking foppish-- And not in a good way, in the costumey sort of way. I feel like it requires a special personality to wear one; moreover, it should be worn in modest way. Only unbutton your top button and avoid making it look like it's puffing out of your shirt collar; or else you'll look like a full blown ascot-wearing pipe smoking Edwardian era douche-bag, which no one wants.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Yes, I've got to side with AntonAAK! It's two buttons for me. After all, cravats are at MOST casual-wear. I think it takes an extra, concerted, effort to start looking 'foppish' - don't blame the cravat! ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, I must seek your advice. I have a certain fondness for the ascot, but have encountered an issue. I wish to wear them with my white shirts, but have found, to my dismay, the fabric is too lightweight to prevent the covered tail ends from showing conspicuously through the shirt, which to my eye looks rather sloppy. Am I missing something? Were shirts of an earlier age simply of a heavier, better fabric that prevented this?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Gentlemen, I must seek your advice. I have a certain fondness for the ascot, but have encountered an issue. I wish to wear them with my white shirts, but have found, to my dismay, the fabric is too lightweight to prevent the covered tail ends from showing conspicuously through the shirt, which to my eye looks rather sloppy. Am I missing something? Were shirts of an earlier age simply of a heavier, better fabric that prevented this?

If your shirt is thin, there isn't much you can do to help that! I suppose if you wore an under-vest with a deep 'V' you could tuck it into that and then it wouldn't show. Just don't let that be seen above the opening in your shirt. Alternatively, where a sweater/pullover/waistcoat over your shirt.
I've a few shirts that do the same, and yes, vintage shirts tended to be a bit thicker really. Not all, but most.

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hello Gents,

From my way of thinking since they are still available now then they are still valid for now, although rarely seen, but when you do see them they still look smart! I believe they were still worn commonly through the 50's to 80's, you see them a lot in movies, though their popularity has decreased. I was watching 9 to 5 the other day and one of the men was wearing one with a blazer and it looked really great, but the character was fairly conservative, something that is rare these days. I guess these days I mainly see them on older men, I have a few myself and have worn them in theatrical events etc. Who knows I might one day pluck up the courage and wear one when not in a theatrical event! Men dress differently here in Australia, and sometimes it is hard enough to get a man to wear a tie, let alone an ascot. A couple of years ago an Aussie guy won an Oscar for a Claymation film he made, and he wore an ascot for the ceremony and I remember it provoked a lot of comment, but unfortunately the trend did not catch on.

There is a store here called Tie Rack which I know is in England, not sure about the US, but you can still buy ascots there. When I see one I like I add it to the collection in the hope that they may come back into fashion, well mainstream fashion that is. In the meantime they look great with my vintage suits. I have seen them in some modern photo shoots, and saw this pic of one on modern men forums - I think this looks great even though it is not vintage.

casual13dp.jpg

I know it is a modern outfit, but it is good to see some vintage touches to it. The head of the model was already missing in the photo, so I guess he wanted some privacy.

Cheers

Peter

Awesome, I like the combination of shoes, belt and ascot with the outfit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points