Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

grantway

New in Town
Yes .... though in real life, the red is not so 'tomatoey' .... it is more of a bright scarlet; the photo makes it harsher. I'll put another pic up of it on its 'outing.'

grantway

New in Town
Yeah .... the red one (pure silk) cost 50 cents at an Op Shop. The brown one I've had a long time. I like the way it ties as it never slips and yet is comfortable.

Glad you like!

silk ascots  yes or no 001.jpg silk ascots  yes or no 002.jpg silk ascots  yes or no 004.jpg

Hi Folks

What do I have here? Are these ascots? or simply women's scarfs?
The black and white and blue with the black butterflies, feels great, the material is fabulous..

They do not look like any traditional ascot that I ever seen therefore I am leaning toward scarfs..

I appreciate your time and your comments..

Best regards.

CCJ

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have something similar in my wardrobe, I believe they were made for men and I suspect they are a late 1960s innovation. But I really don't know. I couldn't find a satisfactory way of tying mine. That said, they look longer than my one: How long are they?

grantway

New in Town
They are not ascots / cravats. They are mens neck scarves that were secured usually with a ring or clasp where they joined at the neck front. The long ends mostly protruded outside the shirt. Very 1960's / early 70's. Something Scooby Doo would wear.

They are not ascots / cravats. They are mens neck scarves that were secured usually with a ring or clasp where they joined at the neck front. The long ends mostly protruded outside the shirt. Very 1960's / early 70's. Something Scooby Doo would wear.

Hi
Thank you for your informative reply. I would love to see an example of just how they are tied or how they should look on the neck.
Best regards.

CCJ
www.etsy.com/shop/dapper42R

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think Grantway is right. They're neckerchieves or neck-scarves or something like that. Cravats are wider.

I assume the dressed look would be something like this:

striking-unique-men-s-scarves-in-boticca-s-summer-scarf-shop.jpg%3Fq%3D75%26o%3DArNLiVYfjhl3Sz%24TPMv3UQ5MmNUj%26V%3D%4008e

I think Grantway is right. They're neckerchieves or neck-scarves or something like that. Cravats are wider.

I assume the dressed look would be something like this:

striking-unique-men-s-scarves-in-boticca-s-summer-scarf-shop.jpg%3Fq%3D75%26o%3DArNLiVYfjhl3Sz%24TPMv3UQ5MmNUj%26V%3D%4008e

Great reply. The scarf in your pic looks much longer however I could in vision myself trying this accessory.
I will measure them later today and possibly post a pic with one secured around my neck.
Thank you and best regards.
CCJ

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I used to wear those back in the late 60s. The ones I wore had a ring that would hold them closed at the neck and the ends would be outside the shirt. There was a period of about 2 years when they were fashionable.

http://cdn2.retrowaste.com/wp-conte...ashion-ads/1969-boys-striped-shirts-scarf.jpg

View attachment 9281 View attachment 9282 View attachment 9283

Hi Folks

The black and white and blue with the black butterflies, feels great, the material is fabulous..

They do not look like any traditional ascot that I ever seen therefore I am leaning toward scarfs..

Best regards.

CCJ

View attachment 9281 View attachment 9282 View attachment 9283

Hi Folks

Best regards.

CCJ

I must say, these are very well made of fine silk however there is no maker mark to indicate country of origin.
I really enjoy coming across these different accessory's. It sure makes hunting for classy,different pieces, so much enjoyable, and then learning about them adds an extra bonus. Thank you for all the input so far. Please keep it coming.
Best regards folks.
CCJ

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I used to wear those back in the late 60s. The ones I wore had a ring that would hold them closed at the neck and the ends would be outside the shirt. There was a period of about 2 years when they were fashionable.

1969-boys-striped-shirts-scarf.jpg

That looks nauseatingly like the 1970s, an era which makes me queasy at the best of times.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I think that ad is from the 70s, although when I wore the good old Apache tie, it was back in 1969, as a youth of 17. I still remember the outfit I wore it with too. A white double breasted hop sack jacket, green and white window pane bell bottoms, a green shirt and then the scarf, which for some reason, I can no longer remember.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a green or a pastels colours sort of person. And the 70s seemed to be injected with that stuff everywhere. One reason why I never liked it. Although I did grow up in the 80s and 90s, which were still suffering the hangover from the 70s.

Great, great look CCJ! I know you love those belt back blazers and that one is great! And the ascot....well, perfect!!!

Hi MarkL-- Thank you for your kind reply. I added a casual yet elegant flair to my look today via the ascot.. It was fun. Many compliments.
MarkL, were you able to look at my post #663, I await your opinion.
Best regards
CCJ

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Dear CCJ,

These are definitely not ascots/cravats. I think the opinions of Shangas and SteveW443 are right on! These were usually worn with a ring. The "tie" was wrapped around the neck and both ends fed through a metal ring. The ring was then pulled upward toward the throat and the two ends hung free. It was worn "under" an open shirt with an open collar, and as one of the above mentioned gentleman said, the two ends were usually outside of the shirt. It was definitely a 60's and early 70's look.

You said they were of a very fine fabric. Too bad they are not longer and wider so they could be worn as an ascot.

Albert.Tatlock

Familiar Face
That looks nauseatingly like the 1970s, an era which makes me queasy at the best of times.

I remember them they were called "Apache Scarfs" ( in the UK) popular on the cusp of the 1960's/1970's I think i have a pic of me aged 13 wearing a similar ensemble, Aqua Paisley if i remember correctly, (it was a B
lack & White picture)

Last edited:
I remember them they were called "Apache Scarfs" ( in the UK) popular on the cusp of the 1960's/1970's I think i have a pic of me aged 13 wearing a similar ensemble, Aqua Paisley if i remember correctly, (it was a B
lack & White picture)

You are correct with the nomenclature. I was dressed in one as a kid, and there is a picture of it in my parents house. Ugh! *yucky*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy