Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I'm just guessing...

TCameron said:
Indeed, as the gentleman above me mentioned ascots do frequently draw attention, but usually of adoration. I too live in Boston and get it quite frequently when I sport the ascot. However, I had a general question for all of those in this thread: How do you prevent the ascot from coming loose and falling down and need re-tightening? Any thoughts? I usually try to tug my hardest at the not without compromising breathing, but it still manages to fall down sometimes. Thank you,

T Cameron.

...but that's probably done with a pin or stickpin. Am I right? Mine seems to stay in place as long as I wear it under a shirt collar (non-polo).

How about duct tape? Velcro? :p

TCameron

Familiar Face
Makes sense. I was tried to be sold one with an over coat I just bought tonight, I guess I should have taken the offer. Thanks,

T Cameron

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
TCameron said:
However, I had a general question for all of those in this thread: How do you prevent the ascot from coming loose and falling down and need re-tightening?.

There are different ways you can tie it that can sometimes help, but for me, the weight of the silk can help too. I tend to lean towards ascots with a heavier silk and I've found they seem to stay in place longer without getting loose. My 2 current favorites are J.Press and Ralph Lauren for ascots.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My 19 year old son got his first cravat today as a special pre-xmas gift.
The dark blue with white dots of course!
Will try to get him infront of a camera one of these days.

Westward

New in Town
Lionheart said:
There are different ways you can tie it that can sometimes help, but for me, the weight of the silk can help too. I tend to lean towards ascots with a heavier silk and I've found they seem to stay in place longer without getting loose. My 2 current favorites are J.Press and Ralph Lauren for ascots.

Agreed. But simply getting it tied well (like a four-in-hand knot, but without slipping the blade through at the end) goes a long way to keeping it in place. But if you're looking for the fool proof method, there are these pre-tied ones (sounds awful, but they aren't really) from Beau Ties that work very nicely.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:

Spitfire, is there a particular vendor that you go to?

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:

I just got one as well (my birthday was 27 November); the dark blue with white dots of course :D

eightbore

Suspended
Good lord! This thread is still goin on? Has it been decided yet if vintage aficionados should be conforming to the text book or the history book?

:eusa_doh:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing a navy blue cravat with white polka dots when I went to dinner last night. Sans bush shirt mind you...

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I thought I might try a bit of an experiment. A friend was headed to Africa and I asked him to see how an ascot with bushwear would be perceived. He agreed.

On his return, I inquired about the reception his attire received.

He said, "Well, the hyenas laughed at me all night". lol lol lol

kodou

New in Town
not quite an ascot but...

I think the image that greets you to the Purple Label spring update is nice.
I like the styling touch done by using one of their necktie's like an ascot.
And now for the relevance to the forum...
I know from the old Ralph Lauren thread here that they take a lot from the golden era.
Has anyone here seen where this look would've been done before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy