Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
CF8D9AC3-AFE7-4331-BBB0-12B97EB2189B.jpeg

Observe

Practically Family
Not really a question, but not sure where else to put this. I feel like selling my RMC Nelson and my Aero OG Hercules. Neither of them fit me the way I want them to. The Nelson is too short in the sleeves and body for my liking, and the position of the neck/collar on the Hercules digs into my neck and causes discomfort. I don't know where to go from here in terms of getting a jacket that fits me properly. I just want something in the style of these jackets that doesn't have a deal-breaking flaw. It's become obvious that price does not guarantee satisfaction, and more fumbling around on the internet blind purchasing isn't going to fix it. Over the last year and a half I've tried 4 different Aero jackets, an RMC, Simmons Bilt and they all didnt do it for me for different reasons. I don't want a closet full of random jackets that all fall short of their mark, I just want one daily driver that will work with everything. There's nothing local here beyond mall crap either, so trying on is not really feasible for me. I feel like I've just continued to waste money being disappointed and I'm ready to throw in the towel on the whole thing.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Not really a question, but not sure where else to put this. I feel like selling my RMC Nelson and my Aero OG Hercules. Neither of them fit me the way I want them to. The Nelson is too short in the sleeves and body for my liking, and the position of the neck/collar on the Hercules digs into my neck and causes discomfort. I don't know where to go from here in terms of getting a jacket that fits me properly. I just want something in the style of these jackets that doesn't have a deal-breaking flaw. It's become obvious that price does not guarantee satisfaction, and more fumbling around on the internet blind purchasing isn't going to fix it. Over the last year and a half I've tried 4 different Aero jackets, an RMC, Simmons Bilt and they all didnt do it for me for different reasons. I don't want a closet full of random jackets that all fall short of their mark, I just want one daily driver that will work with everything. There's nothing local here beyond mall crap either, so trying on is not really feasible for me. I feel like I've just continued to waste money being disappointed and I'm ready to throw in the towel on the whole thing.

You’re buying custom jackets and not happy with the fit? Do you feel like you are at least starting to dial-in the fit and style you want?

Observe

Practically Family
You’re buying custom jackets and not happy with the fit? Do you feel like you are at least starting to dial-in the fit and style you want?
The style of these jackets is what I want. The fit is always lacking. If the neck on my Hercules didn't feel like a noose it would be perfect. I feel like custom is just as much a crapshoot as stock unless you have a very deep knowledge of patterns and measurements (I don't). Telling the maker what length sleeve you need doesn't change the fact that the jacket is uncomfortable. It's why I didn't bother going through with a 5 star order, I decided the odds of some overlooked detail ruining the whole thing was too high.

cbez

Practically Family
Question about storage. I got a nice old McCoy's on auction, very good condition but some minor cracking in the sleeves. I think it was a closet queen that just sat in one position for years. Most of it seems to be along the natural crease where the sleeves would sit.

Am I right in thinking it's not really a big deal and not likely to get much worse with wear? None of the cracks go through the leather.

Also, how should I store to take stress of these points. Any pro tips or alternate hangers that might work better?
They are dark in the pics as I just hit it with some bick4.

EtXswcN.jpg

VPZzEAt.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I don't know where to go from here in terms of getting a jacket that fits me properly.
Thedi

I'm a Thedi fanboy so you might not want to take my word for it but you can ask others on the forum, Thedi's patterns are among the best in the business.

I feel like custom is just as much a crapshoot as stock unless you have a very deep knowledge of patterns and measurements (I don't).

Just tell Theodoros what you want and he'll take care of the rest. No deep knowledge needed from your side.

https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtg-10075/

AFF2EEBC-CA50-415D-82E0-E2B1585AEEEC.jpeg

My first and only custom was a Goodwear. I could and should’ve stopped there. I know it is a crapshoot these days with John, but he makes great jackets. Thedi is also at the top of my list- but I would go direct and discuss your ideas with him. I miss my Thedi.

Question about storage. I got a nice old McCoy's on auction, very good condition but some minor cracking in the sleeves. I think it was a closet queen that just sat in one position for years. Most of it seems to be along the natural crease where the sleeves would sit.

Am I right in thinking it's not really a big deal and not likely to get much worse with wear? None of the cracks go through the leather.

Also, how should I store to take stress of these points. Any pro tips or alternate hangers that might work better?
They are dark in the pics as I just hit it with some bick4.

EtXswcN.jpg

VPZzEAt.jpg

That's pretty bad, actually. Did you buy the jacket from an Asian country? Crack like these, especially what I'm seeing on the first photo on the right sleeve, mean leather's completely dried up and is inevitably decomposing. And if this had happened on the jacket that's been sitting still on a hanger...

If you can still send this back, it's what I wholeheartedly would recommend you do.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Thedi

I'm a Thedi fanboy so you might not want to take my word for it but you can ask others on the forum, Thedi's patterns are among the best in the business.

Just tell Theodoros what you want and he'll take care of the rest. No deep knowledge needed from your side.

https://thedi-leathers.com/product/mtg-10075/

View attachment 459995
I just second that! If you should buy an OTR jacket, check the sleeve length. Most non-custom Thedi jackets have longer sleeves than standard, although Theodoros wears his jackets on the short side...

Observe

Practically Family
I just second that! If you should buy an OTR jacket, check the sleeve length. Most non-custom Thedi jackets have longer sleeves than standard, although Theodoros wears his jackets on the short side...
I noticed in some of the stock photos that his sleeves tend to be quite short.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
E.g. Thedi Markos Zip-Up Shawl Collar Jacket seen here:

Size L has a 26.25" sleeve lenght and size XL has 26.5" (measured straight, I belive and Thedi's Jackets are tagged usually one size bigger). These sleeve measurements are on the longer side, but of course depending on your personal preferences and arm lenght...

cbez

Practically Family
That's pretty bad, actually. Did you buy the jacket from an Asian country? Crack like these, especially what I'm seeing on the first photo on the right sleeve, mean leather's completely dried up and is inevitably decomposing. And if this had happened on the jacket that's been sitting still on a hanger...

If you can still send this back, it's what I wholeheartedly would recommend you do.
Nope, proxy buy so I get to ride it out

What's interesting is the leather overall was very supple and in good condition. Felt like a brand new one. Maybe it dried out at some point in its life.

cbez

Practically Family
I'm coping and telling myself it adds to the patina look. IT's surprising to me cuz perfect lining, perfect ribs, front and back panels mostly flawless. I think it must have just hung in that stressed position for a decade or two.

Bummer cuz getting any kind of resolution out of the proxy services is next to impossible I hear, even tho the seller didn't mention any of it or take pictures that would show it.

VcqMKsH.jpg

oRgXlaq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ