Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al 916

One Too Many
Cromford in London will do it but it will be expensive.
Thanks you for the recommendation. I had a look on their website and got as far as

'typically to shorten sleeves with zips costs £200'

I am sure it would be a perfect job.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Japan Yahoo Auction question:

Has anyone tried to make an offer with a different price than listed price? How to go about doing this? Thanks. I am not trying to low ball the seller. Just 10% maximum sometimes.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I mentioned at the time, I picked up Ken's own original AN-6552 jacket from the Aero sale pages. (The goatskin is original from WWII; the lining, zipper, knits, and mouton are replacements.)

It's a very squeaky jacket, and I've wondered if I should apply a product to it. I don't want to damage it or undo the wartime patina or Ken's own fading. Furthermore, the seal top coat (for obvious reasons) has chipped in many places and it would nice to 'stabilize' that somewhat.

Would Pecard Antique Leather Dressing be the right call?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I recently bought this jacket used.

No labels on it so was wondering if you guys could help:

1. Identify what type of leather the outer is. Is this a cowhide?

2. Give me some feedback on the overall construction of this jacke. I don’t think it’s going to be anywhere near the brands commonly listed here but is this somewhat decent? A1269299-73C2-441C-8AE1-D2BFC5CB3DA0.jpeg 37FD3035-42FB-4F62-A3C9-4FF598961780.jpeg 5E92DA85-CD3A-4C6B-A3B2-6C8C3DE93BFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 644D418D-726E-47B5-8FA4-9D44C572E3B1.jpeg
    644D418D-726E-47B5-8FA4-9D44C572E3B1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

cbez

One Too Many
Recently bought from fromjapan and never had option to declare a lower value, only to mark it as a gift, which I don't think affects us customs at all.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought this jacket used.

No labels on it so was wondering if you guys could help:

1. Identify what type of leather the outer is. Is this a cowhide?

2. Give me some feedback on the overall construction of this jacke. I don’t think it’s going to be anywhere near the brands commonly listed here but is this somewhat decent? View attachment 462173 View attachment 462170 View attachment 462171
Looks like cowhide. Nothing of high quality but not the super cheap thin stuff you would find on a 100-200 USD mall jacket either.

Construction-wise I notice it partially uses french seams which I personally like and would rate as a sign of good workmanship. It also has this three color set up, matching on both body and sleeves which is a playful feature that requires extra work. On the other hand, the jacket is made of more panels than need be.

I would pick it up out of pure interest and maybe very occasionally wear it if I found it for <100 USD, I cannot get my finger on what time period this reminds me of (80s? maybe, I get „The Americans“-vibes off it) but it has some flair.

cbez

One Too Many
Ok got an insane deal on a flat head jacket, only signs of age I can find is some tarnish on the buckles. Any tips for cleaning it that are safe for the leather?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Ok got an insane deal on a flat head jacket, only signs of age I can find is some tarnish on the buckles. Any tips for cleaning it that are safe for the leather?
You can try vinegar on the tarnish, rub hard with a q tip or something similar. Protect the leather with paper towels the best you can, but vinegar should not do too much damage to coated leather if it gets on it.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Also obenauf LP did great on my thirsty deerskin. Back to being supple, pliable and a bit of shine. Very happy with the results.

Observe

One Too Many
Anyone know if Aero Original Hercules and Highwayman/Premier Highwayman use the same pattern block? It's possible I may not completely understand what a pattern block is. I ask because I get the hanging effect on my neck which causes pain from the OG Herc. I had a PHWM that was a size too large but I don't recall the same issue, perhaps because it was too big. I think the neck pain comes from the square shoulders of the OG Herc compared to my rounded shoulders, meaning my shoulders don't support the weight of the jacket, only my neck. The neck on the OG Herc also seems to be set more forward than on other jackets I wear, which pushes into the back of my neck.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone know if Aero Original Hercules and Highwayman/Premier Highwayman use the same pattern block? It's possible I may not completely understand what a pattern block is. I ask because I get the hanging effect on my neck which causes pain from the OG Herc. I had a PHWM that was a size too large but I don't recall the same issue, perhaps because it was too big. I think the neck pain comes from the square shoulders of the OG Herc compared to my rounded shoulders, meaning my shoulders don't support the weight of the jacket, only my neck. The neck on the OG Herc also seems to be set more forward than on other jackets I wear, which pushes into the back of my neck.
Unfortunately I have no idea regarding the pattern.
But I have worn the last few days my PHWM several times good 12 hours at a time and had no problems with it.

Al 916

One Too Many
Unfortunately I have no idea regarding the pattern.
But I have worn the last few days my PHWM several times good 12 hours at a time and had no problems with it.
I had no pain or lack of comfort with mine either. Maybe we are the exceptions.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Recently bought from fromjapan and never had option to declare a lower value, only to mark it as a gift, which I don't think affects us customs at all.
They did but they don't now. Sorry about that. I just paid for shipping for an item I got from FJ/Rakuten and now EMS is available but declaring different value is no longer available.
EMS is also very expensive now, not half of Fedex like before Covid, more like 2/3 now.
Rakuten 10% coupon makes FJ still the best deal out of the three proxies, buyee, zenmarket, and fromjapan. So basically the 10% off goes to offset some of the taxes. But not everything is available on Rakuten so there's also that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk