Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHP91

Practically Family
Here's a somewhat newbie question - at what point do you file a dispute for a partial refund or perhaps even a full return if there is undisclosed damage in a jacket you purchased? Are you very meticulous if the damage was not fully presented, or do you let minor things slide? Obviously, it's easier for significant damage that wasn't disclosed, but at what point for lesser things?

cbez

One Too Many
depends. is it something I feel could be easily overlooked, or was it undisclosed in bad faith? could I have seen it if I looked at the pics more carefully? did I do my due diligence ahead of time?

most of my buys are proxy so I am kinda stuck with whatever I get but luckily only had a few bad apples.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Here's a somewhat newbie question - at what point do you file a dispute for a partial refund or perhaps even a full return if there is undisclosed damage in a jacket you purchased? Are you very meticulous if the damage was not fully presented, or do you let minor things slide? Obviously, it's easier for significant damage that wasn't disclosed, but at what point for lesser things?
I will use the minor things to return a jacket if I don't love it or it does not fit. If I love the jacket and it fits I will let the lesser things slide. Never ask for partial refunds, only returns and 100% refunds.

Poltung

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I am looking for my cold autumn/not too below freezing winter jacket (maybe a range between 10°C/50°F to -7°C/20°F, keeping in mind that I fairly enjoy cold weathers). Quliting is what I will probably go for, since I like its versatility over shearling or sherpa during warmer days.

For style, the Schott 674 and the Aero 50s Flight Jacket caught my attention.
I'd love to go for A-2s, but I love putting my hands in my pockets too much so that's a no.

From what I've seen, these styles allow me to layer comfortably while retaining mobility. My biggest concern is the fit.
I am a quite trim/athletic guy (V taper), and from what I've seen, I'd like to avoid the "Dad Bod"-type shape of the Schott 674.

Any suggestions for brands and styles that may fit my expectations ? My priorities are: "flight jacket" style, high end leathers (CXL, Shinki, Italian like Badalassi...), handwarmer pockets and avoid oversized (dad bod) jackets.

For reference, this is a vintage 1950s Hercules that is pretty much what I'm looking for in terms of design and features.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-02-14-41-08-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-02-14-41-08-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2023-06-02-14-41-17-22_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-02-14-41-17-22_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
There are a lot of vintage examples of this style available, and if you are ok with a pre-loved piece I’d go for one of those. A new jacket is never going to be as cool as a great vintage one IMHO. Do stock jackets fit you well? It is important to know your measurements to get a good fit.
Norshor Leather (Mark) could make you a real beauty if you want a custom piece.

Poltung

New in Town
There are a lot of vintage examples of this style available, and if you are ok with a pre-loved piece I’d go for one of those. A new jacket is never going to be as cool as a great vintage one IMHO. Do stock jackets fit you well? It is important to know your measurements to get a good fit.
Norshor Leather (Mark) could make you a real beauty if you want a custom piece.
I am quite OK with buying pre-owned, I haven't purchased anything brand new from stores for some years now. As long as the age of the jacket doesn't affect its usability and durability (gaping hole in the lining or leather in about a year or two of casual use for example), I'm all for buying second hand. Of course, the mintier, the better.

As for stock jackets, well I only own one "high-end" leather jacket (Izumiya high notch Catoosa size 38), and it does fit quite well albeit too snug for layering. I briefly had an Aero 1950s Half Belt Deluxe size 38 that fit me perfectly. I'd say by these examples that I'm a 38-40 for "slim-fitting" jackets like 1930s Half Belt, and a 38 for "roomier" jackets like the 1950s Half Belt.

Thanks for the Norshor Leather suggestion HM !

Last edited:
We’re similar in size, I’ll keep a lookout for you! Keep an eye on the Classifieds too! An Eastman Air Comfort might also fit your bill.
People also post lots of great jackets in the finds and deals thread.
Monach, WINDWARD, and California Sportswear all had great leather.

Last edited:

Poltung

New in Town
Found a Fieldmaster with pile lining and (faux?) fur collar (Steer), a quilted Hercules (HH) both by Sears, and also a kind of quilted A-2 with side pockets atop of the cargo ones by Grais (HH). Are they any good?
We’re similar in size, I’ll keep a lookout for you! Keep an eye on the Classifieds too! An Eastman Air Comfort might also fit your bill.
People also post lots of great jackets in the finds and deals thread.
Monach, WINDWARD, and California Sportswear all had great leather.

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
Anyone know anything about this Harley Davidson jacket? My dad bought it in the 90s I think.

Here's some pictures:

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 11.28.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 11.28.57 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 11.28.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 11.28.58 (1).jpeg

Found a Fieldmaster with pile lining and (faux?) fur collar (Steer), a quilted Hercules (HH) both by Sears, and also a kind of quilted A-2 with side pockets atop of the cargo ones by Grais (HH). Are they any good?
Generally-yes. The Grais HH are scarce…most you find are “angelskin/ Cabretta”. Is it a Flightmaster? If you see it’s selling from Japan, you can usually find it also listed on Japanese auction sites for cheaper- there are a lot of “middle-man sellers” these days. The models you mentioned are pretty good depending on condition. The Sears Fieldmasters are warmer jackets due to the fuzzy liners.

Last edited:

Poltung

New in Town
Generally-yes. The Grais HH are scarce…but all you mentioned are pretty good depending on condition.
Thanks! I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the Grais. I do not know the name of the model, but the label states that it is FQHH, and the seller dates it from the 50s (1949 according to the label, "Series GCR"). It is a kind of "A-2" in the way that it has a wind flap, epaulets and cargo pockets, but differs from the traditional ones because of a high back yoke (no one piece back unfortunately), is quilted and has handwarmer pockets.

How would you pit them against Hercs, Calis, or other vintage USA made brands?

Here are some pics of the 2 HH that I've decided to narrow down to, both with quilted linings. The synthetic pile and non-removable fur collar was a bit of a turn-off for me for the Steer Herc one, as I am looking to own a versatile jacket usable in not-so-cold days as well as freezing ones.

Attachments

• Grais 1.PNG
    Grais 1.PNG
    994.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Grais 2.PNG
    Grais 2.PNG
    853.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Grais 3.PNG
    Grais 3.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Grais 4.PNG
    Grais 4.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
  • Grais 5.PNG
    Grais 5.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • Hercules 1.PNG
    Hercules 1.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
  • Hercules 2.PNG
    Hercules 2.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
  • Hercules 3.PNG
    Hercules 3.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The early ones are nice…the 60s-70s ones used leather I don’t like… the hides from the 50s were fairly substantial. Californian jackets had a bit more panache IMO, but Monarchs are praised for their quality too.
The Grais flightmaster should cost you around $200-$250 for a good one.

Poltung

New in Town
Thanks! I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the Grais. I do not know the name of the model, but the label states that it is FQHH, and the seller dates it from the 50s (1949 according to the label, "Series GCR"). It is a kind of "A-2" in the way that it has a wind flap, epaulets and cargo pockets, but differs from the traditional ones because of a high back yoke (no one piece back unfortunately), is quilted and has handwarmer pockets.

Here are some pics of the 2 HH that I've decided to narrow down to, both with quilted linings. The synthetic pile and non-removable fur collar was a bit of a turn-off for me for the Steer Herc one, as I am looking to own a versatile jacket usable in not-so-cold days as well as freezing ones.
Here are the photos of the Herc Steer with Pile and fur collar

Attachments

• Herc Steer 1.PNG
    Herc Steer 1.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Herc Steer 2.PNG
    Herc Steer 2.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Herc Steer 3.PNG
    Herc Steer 3.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Herc Steer 4.PNG
    Herc Steer 4.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • Herc Steer 5.PNG
    Herc Steer 5.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Where do you live, these are WARM jackets. Are these the pockets you want? I believe they were also made with flap (more military style) ones.

Poltung

New in Town
Where do you live, these are WARM jackets. Are these the pockets you want? I believe they were also made with flap (more military style) ones.
I live in France, North-Eastern part of the country. It is usually ranging from 13 to -5 C (53 to 23 F) during colder Fall days and Winter, which is when I intend to use the jacket (since I plan to use my High Notch during warmer days above 12 C).
As for the pockets, my only requirement is to be able to put my hands in them while walking, but I like the cargo ones from Grais to store some valuable stuff like wallet and phone.

Now I see the photos.
The Grais looks nice! Just check that the leather isn’t cracking or damaged across the shoulders. The Fieldmaster is also good.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

I would go with the Hercules. This Herc was made by California Sportswear Co. I'm always skeptical of Grais, though this one looks like one of their best. California Sportswear jackets are just better in my opinion. I own a few.

Poltung

New in Town
I would go with the Hercules. This Herc was made by California Sportswear Co. I'm always skeptical of Grais, though this one looks like one of their best. California Sportswear jackets are just better in my opinion. I own a few.
I've pulled the trigger on the Grais one, mainly because the Cali Herc was about 2.5x time the price, which was okay by me to pay but since I prefer the overall military look of the Grais + cargo pockets w/ handwarmers, I went for it and took the gamble. Total cost is 130€, shipping included!
Hopefully this won't be a disappointment! Thanks for your help @handymike and @tmitchell59 ! I will post pics as soon as I get it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points