Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Fabric/leather glue and toothpick is your friend on this one.

Basic white glue, black pigment and toothpick. I remember Shawn (Fivestar) did a short video on it once on his FB page. It was filling stitch holes but similar thing.
Hi. I don't have facebook but I can check youtube to see if anything similar.
Do you mean using the toothpick to apply the glue?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi. I don't have facebook but I can check youtube to see if anything similar.
Do you mean using the toothpick to apply the glue?
I tried to look for that video but can't find it. Maybe ask Shawn if he still has it. Should pin it to the top. Very useful.

But I will try to describe it... Use the toothpick to get just a dab of the glue and fill the hole, or in your case under the top grain flap. Let it dry. Then use leather paint to touch things up.

I've used just Angelus paint to touch up small nicks but yours need some glue, then paint.

KBlake

One Too Many
Can someone provide a resource or point me to a thread about cal-leather jackets? Does a comprehensive guide exist? Thanks!

AHP91

Practically Family
Anyone got any idea of the maker of this jacket, by any chance? Thanks

EB95447D-9445-4995-8208-B5E0F980FEF7.jpeg

83C45F82-EB05-4132-8ABD-E4B17B2D1585.jpeg

33BBA8CC-5F15-4434-BC65-83E588F27215.jpeg

6BF9D45F-60F0-4238-BA1E-E623B8448594.jpeg

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Thanks!

It seems like TFL members don’t get the new. Did the quality get worse over time?

A new Cal CHP jacket costs $1800, which can cause sticker shock, especially when compared to the used market. Cals can be found for cheap (relatively) if you don't mind waiting, so I think many people here prefer to do just that. I haven't seen any complaints about modern Cal jackets, but at the same time, nothing has shown me that they're superior to the vintage pieces either.

They're also a small outfit and have had communication troubles in the past. I recall several members trying to get in contact repeatedly over phone and email, and never being reached out / responded to by Cal. Not sure how present that issue is nowadays, but I know the nonexistent service turned away some interested parties.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Anything with an acrylic based dye is gonna squeak, the newer the squeakier. Conditioning only mute the sounds until the conditioning gets soaked through then it's just the acrylic coating again, and squeak continues, until it doesn't.
Wax actually mute the sounds for longer, it doesn't really penetrate the leather unless with pressure and heat, and takes time to rub off.
Best is wax and light buffing. The wax mute the sounds immediately, the buffing will "damage" the acrylic top coat and replace the mini craters with wax so everything in theory should still be good.
Or just wear until it stops squeaking.
The Victoria SRL horsehides varies a lot between batch to batch, but I too have squeaky ones from them. Not saying Shinki pigment is the better leather, but it does come with a wax coating from the factory. Very evident when you put the two side by side.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I've owned about half a dozen of these, 0 squeak. Did you (or a previous owner) wax/condition the leather?
Yeah, just confirmed, the previous owner hasn't used any products on the jacket (and hasn't even worn it more than a handful of times), so I suppose it is as @Canuck Panda said, batch dependant.

Oh well, one more squeaky squeak jacket to the collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic