Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@Harris HTM the hangers have arrived and they're (almost) perfect.

9ACD609C-8D7F-4A60-A9D6-D74CBDA7D4A7.jpeg

I found these on Amazon. Perfect slope and width. I ordered the slim ones for my gf's jackets and the thicker ones for my leather jackets.

The problem with my previous Aero Leathers hangers was that they didn't distribute the weight of the jacket onto the hanger evenly. All the weight was focused onto two points, causing dimples in the leather as you can see here with this Thedi. Plus the metal hook is too short to accomodate mouton collars.
5719F7B3-C646-4AAD-80AD-0E71921233B8.jpeg

Therefore I tried to find a hanger with a slope that allows for perfect weight distribution across the hanger. 135 degrees turned out to be the number.
As you can see, jackets are supported all the way from the neck to the shoulder end.
9510D327-0C72-4389-93CB-0CC6497A3A90.jpeg

The diagonal creases you see on the cafe racer are not caused by this hanger, but they're the result of years of hanging on a hanger that had a too narrow slope.

Here's the results. Slim hangers for cloth jackets and for my gf's leather jackets, thick hangers for my leather jackets.
8DFC789F-935F-44CF-B74D-BB40710A6E4A.jpeg

ADA227BD-0AE3-4E01-964C-6F874A42383C.jpeg

Why aren't they perfect? The width of the hook is 4 cm. 5 would have been better for smooth sliding on the rail.

Here's the link
https://www.amazon.nl/SONGMICS-kost...ocphy=9064942&hvtargid=pla-760771380858&psc=1

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
@Harris HTM the hangers have arrived and they're (almost) perfect.

View attachment 306822
I found these on Amazon. Perfect slope and width. I ordered the slim ones for my gf's jackets and the thicker ones for my leather jackets.

The problem with my previous Aero Leathers hangers was that they didn't distribute the weight of the jacket onto the hanger evenly. All the weight was focused onto two points, causing dimples in the leather as you can see here with this Thedi. Plus the metal hook is too short to accomodate mouton collars.
View attachment 306825

Therefore I tried to find a hanger with a slope that allows for perfect weight distribution across the hanger. 135 degrees turned out to be the number.
As you can see, jackets are supported all the way from the neck to the shoulder end. View attachment 306839

The diagonal creases you see on the cafe racer are not caused by this hanger, but they're the result of years of hanging on a hanger that had a too narrow slope.

Here's the results. Slim hangers for cloth jackets and for my gf's leather jackets, thick hangers for my leather jackets. View attachment 306823
View attachment 306824

Why aren't they perfect? The width of the hook is 4 cm. 5 would have been better for smooth sliding on the rail.

Here's the link
https://www.amazon.nl/SONGMICS-kost...ocphy=9064942&hvtargid=pla-760771380858&psc=1
Thanks for the update Marc, may I also ask where did you get this nice stand for the jackets?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my experience, the "best" hanger is entirely dependent on the cut of the jacket -- in particular, the angle/slope of the shoulders. With certain of my jackets, there is a significant slope from the edge of the collar to the edge of the shoulder. Aero hangers do not work well for these jackets. Instead, a hanger similar to that purchased by @Marc mndt is ideal (with pipe insulation along the edge of the hanger). On the other hand, certain of my jackets have much less slope from the collar to the edge of the shoulder. Aero hangers work great for these jackets (again, with the addition of pipe insulation). When I buy a new jacket, I test it on different hangers. The best hanger quickly becomes apparent.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm starting to feel bad for not putting nearly enough thought into my hangar choices...
Well, we put a lot of thought into our jackets. Why not put a little thought into the hangers too :)

Here's the HD laying flat on the table. That diagonal crease is caused by hanging on a hanger with the wrong slope. This is a relatively light weight jacket. Having the right hanger is even more important for heavy weight jackets of course because there's more weight pulling down.
4087FE19-FBCB-4F11-98C4-EF5EB2480103.jpeg

Lone Starr

New in Town
I have a question. I have an ELMC Californian and the ball and chain on the chest zipper looks a bit strange when closed, hanging on the outside end by the sleeve. I notice Good Wear is hanging to the center as I am used to seeing. Is this a 'British thing', like driving on the left? My ELMC Californian main zipper slider stays on the US side. Hmmm... Are there vintage half belts that close to the outside?

Last edited:

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars
That looks like Liberty Horsehide, color, texture, wear. Looks Great to me.

Here is a Victory Duke

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H8EqX9ixASxKccXSA

Here is the Victory Duke and Liberty Monarch A2, Liberty Dodger

https://goo.gl/photos/5YdgYRH71LZsjeWy9

Here are a some for comparison

View attachment 306770 View attachment 306771 View attachment 306769
Interesting. I agree the way my specimen is wearing looks like Liberty. I do notice that the color of the leather on my jacket has a lot of red character. Is that red color at all indicative of Victory horsehide, or does Liberty have that as well? Your Liberty example has more of a beige/brown under color to my eyes, but that could just be the lighting or a color difference between different finishes.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have a question. I have an ELMC Californian and the ball and chain on the chest zipper looks a bit strange when closed, hanging on the outside end by the sleeve. I notice Good Wear is hanging to the center as I am used to seeing. Is this a 'British thing', like driving on the left? My ELMC Californian main zipper slider stays on the US side. Hmmm... Are there vintage half belts that close to the outside?
Good question. I had exactly the same thoughts so I decided to check the rin tanaka motorcycle jacket book. Almost all of those vintage jackets have chest pocket zippers that close to the inside. There are a few that have the pull pictured on the outside but I think that's because the zipper is open.
Seems to me like ELMC made an odd design choice. No idea about their rationale.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. I agree the way my specimen is wearing looks like Liberty. I do notice that the color of the leather on my jacket has a lot of red character. Is that red color at all indicative of Victory horsehide, or does Liberty have that as well? Your Liberty example has more of a beige/brown under color to my eyes, but that could just be the lighting or a color difference between different finishes.

I have seen a few Victory HH jackets. None of them wear like your jacket. I have owned and worn my extensively and it does not look like your jacket.

Do you know the age of the jacket? I don't think they have used Victory in the last few years, just too expensive.

I think your jackets look Great, I don't think it is Victory. The wear on your jacket is a prime example of what they wanted Liberty HH to do, wear in quickly. Victory does not wear like that.

Who told you this is Victory HH? If you want more information write Bill Kelso or post it on their Facebook page if is still there.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
hanging on the outside end by the sleeve

Like this? Never thought about it. The Bill Kelso closes to the inside. Even though they are often seen on contemporary jackets they are somewhat rare on vintage jackets. Expense and war-time metal shortages probably limited their use. You seldom see them past 1940.

DSC04704.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112