Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. dlite90

dlite90 Familiar Face

What kind of finish is on the Liberty Horsehide? I'm guessing semi-aniline (light pigment) so that the pigment coat wears off faster?
    I asked this to Bill Kelso but haven't heard back from them. For the other leathers they all specifically state "this is an aniline leather" but not Liberty HH.

2. Alexlutov

Alexlutov A-List Customer

Guys who thinks about the skin Aero jerky? what are the pros and cons and how is it better or worse than other aero horse skins? it seemed to me that jerky is very rare..thanks.

3. Mandarin

Mandarin A-List Customer

I don't think jerky is rare, it's rather a matter of people not choosing it very often, probably because they think they'll get a better value for their money with heavier hides. It's a pity because it has many qualities.
    As Aero points out, Jerky is a mid-weight leather, so it is supple and easy wearing right away. No need to beak it in. The top coat isn't very deep , so it rubs off on the stress points, showing a teacore effect.
    In time, the surface develops a lot of grain, which reminds of vintage leathers.
    I have two jackets in black jerky and I value them very much. They look better and better with time.

Monitor, Mrfrown, powerserge and 3 others like this.
  4. Alexlutov

I'm expecting this beautiful deluxe aero, I hope I guessed right that it's a jerky.. IMG-20210217-WA0007.jpg IMG-20210217-WA0008.jpg IMG-20210217-WA0010.jpg

Zoo, abone2010, navetsea and 6 others like this.
  5. Mandarin

Mandarin A-List Customer

Alexlutov likes this.
  6. JustinW

JustinW Practically Family

Is it just me or does the name 'jerky' put other people off as well?

Fonzie, tmitchell59, Monitor and 2 others like this.
  7. dwilson

dwilson Familiar Face

What kind of hangers do you guys use? I bought some wooden suit hangers recently since I noticed my hangers without the bulbs on the end seemed to be stressing the shoulders a bit. Wasn't sure if there was a consensus best hanger. Aero's hangers even look like they'd have a problem with not having enough surface area to distribute the weight of the jacket on the shoulders.

Alexlutov likes this.
  8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...r-about-outerwear.102916/page-25#post-2772656

torfjord likes this.
  9. Alexlutov

Just cover the top of the hanger with this.. original-925x925-fit.jpg Tubular technical insulation made of foamed polyethylene.

Monitor likes this.
  10. dwilson

dwilson Familiar Face

Marc mndt likes this.
  11. undakovr

undakovr New in Town

I’ve recently acquired this Aero jacket. Any idea what type of horsehide it is? It’s very grainy with a slight teacore poping out here and there. 6C0AB6C6-A883-433D-9FC6-A71489743204.jpeg

Attached Files:

Alexlutov likes this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

I'd sooner recommend Jerky than CXL, though most people wouldn't take me seriously, having never handled it. I find it to be absolutely perfect. It's got no cons compared to CXL if I am to be asked and the pros are a more natural texture, doesn't wear off nearly as easily and no oily texture. I'm not saying I see these properties as a negative aspects of CXL but some people did point 'em out as something undesirable which I can understand. At the same time, I can't think of single aspect of Jerky that someone would dislike.

Looks like Jerky HH.

Alexlutov likes this.
  13. Joshua Holland

Joshua Holland New in Town

Does anyone know the sleeve width (say, at bicep) measurements of Lewis Lightning standard vs tight fit?

14. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I finally got around to comparing the stitch count of some of my jackets.
    The right one is 40s Grais middle one is 50s Buco and those are around 7-8 SPI. The left one is what clearly got crazy. It is a 40s Rich Sher with 13 SPI. The Rich Sher is clearly a better made jacket.
    IMG_20210223_230841.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Jin431, jeo, Carlos840 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Here is a comparison of RM Buco and the Rich Sher. You can see the Rich Sher is still clearly the winner. IMG_20210223_231225.jpg IMG_20210223_231112.jpg IMG_20210223_231033.jpg

Mrfrown, navetsea, Jin431 and 2 others like this.
  16. JustinW

Side adjusters: double D rings or buckles?
    00E013F9-1E89-4BD3-BB91-566D79147B1D.jpeg 339A1EB1-486C-4BBC-A3BB-E67FDD263E24.jpeg

Jin431 likes this.
  17. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

18. Mandarin

Mandarin A-List Customer

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  19. JustinW

I thought I’d specified D rings but Greg just sent me these pics and the question ... and now I am second guessing myself (again).

20. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I guess it's really just about personal preference. I don't know why but I think d rings make a cleaner look.

abone2010 and JustinW like this.