Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Nathan Ford

Nathan Ford New in Town

Thanks again for another tip! Now I gradually figure out how it works.

2. Nathan Ford

Nathan Ford New in Town

I think I've just saved 2 years of researching, thanks again. This forum really amazing!

3. Nathan Ford

Nathan Ford New in Town

Sound like you're describing me, LOL, though my chest not really broad. Could you tell me your build, weight,... and the TFH size you feel good, so I can use it as a reference??

jeo likes this.
  4. jeo

jeo Practically Family

I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 138 lbs with an average athletic build. I tend to fluctuate between 135 and 145.

I purchased a size 36. It's going to fit me just fine although the front length will be pretty short, which is ok for me.

The very next day after I bought mine another size 36 popped up on Buyee.com for an absolute steal and looks to be in good condition.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g471642358?conversionType=mypage_watch_list

I paid more than $500 :mad::mad::mad:!!!

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Reading all the advice above it sounds like getting a jacket that fits well is close to mysticism and staggeringly complex so I think you need to give up and just buy active wear from your nearby mall.

Just joking. It can feel overwhelming, and another issue with jackets is overthinking them. Guys frequently buy good fitting jackets but decide that they are wrong in some way - out half an inch in the length or the wrong shape at the back when zipped, etc. It is easy to become a perfectionist and set yourself some crazy standards and even see problems with the fit that no one else would notice or care about. That's when you know you are in deep.

On size - it is a good starting place - I am generally a 42 in jackets - however in Aero jackets, for instance, I wear a 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, depending on the pattern. This is why the size can have limitations. Pit-to pit may change with patterns.

Like jeo I have a range of measurements I tend to go with. Pit to pit being the most important, followed by sleeve length. Sleeve because I have a hatred of sleeves that look too short to me. Some people don't share that. I personally do worry about shoulders - in my experience anything less than 18.5 and anything over 21 looks bad on me. From empirical evidence I can say the first will sit too tight, the second almost always look sloppy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    jeo, AeroFan_07, HoosierDaddy and 2 others like this.
  6. Aleksanda Jeremic

Aleksanda Jeremic New in Town

Please help about this eastman b3 jacket..it looks genuine to me ,but has only one neck strap which is very unusuall.If someone can help thanks

Attached Files:

7. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

The collar is wrong, it should reach almost to the shoulders and it doesn't.
    I remember reading a post about some dude who had the collar of his B-3 altered to be smaller because he felt the giant collar looked stupid, it was years ago. The guy had a seamstress cut half of his collar off.
    I wonder if this is this jacket?
    I vote original Eastman but altered by a previous owner.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Seb Lucas likes this.
  8. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

@Nathan Ford

Getting a decent fit is not complicated, especially if the jacket has a good pattern. These tend to look good on people with different body shape. I lost quite a bit of weight last year but still kept all of my jackets, some of them are a bit big, but still fit well. You can still buy jackets for life and keep them - that is mostly what I have done so far with few exceptions.

When it comes to TFH, they are geared towards the Asian market, so I would not risk it this early on, without having a chance to try it on. The numbers won't help you here, either you have the right body type or you don't.

Edit: in this thread I try to highlight the differences after having lost weight.

Marc mndt likes this.
  9. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Got it, I knew something was off lol The cafe racer looks so much cooler For me but the half belt looks very sleek too

10. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

11. Aleksanda Jeremic

Thanks for reply .I am offered the jacket for 370euros,so I wonder if it is ok price for this jacket. Thx

12. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

I would not, IMO that jacket has been disfigured, i would not spend money on it.

13. Peckinpah

Peckinpah New in Town

Can't get over how good that jacket looks.

Jin431 likes this.
  14. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Looks like it's had a good 50mm removed from the collar, which to my mind has rendered it worthless, but that's just me. Apart from that it looks like an early eastman, not sure about the hanger though, I thought they were chains but perhaps the early ones weren't. Personally I wouldn't buy it. IMG_20210110_101821.jpg

Carlos840 likes this.
  15. Aleksanda Jeremic

Thank for reply..not even if I can negotiate price around 270e?the jacket itself looks new..

16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

What matters is that you like it. I guess you like it so why not buy it?

Colin G, red devil and Dav like this.
  17. Dav

Dav One Too Many

If you like it go for it, apart from the collar alterations it looks to be a good jacket.

18. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

if you like the jacket so much and you think it's worth the price, then buy it. The jacket will surely serve its purpose. but keep in mind, should you want to sell them, leather jackets enthusiasts are unlikely to be among the target group.

Cognoscente, red devil and Carlos840 like this.
  19. Aleksanda Jeremic

Thanks a lot for your reply..I will try it on tomorrow and make a final decesion.I ll post pics of me wearing it and will be ready for all kind of comments

Dav likes this.
  20. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Like @MrProper is saying, the problem is that if you then try to sell that jacket on, 99% of jacket enthusiast will think that jacket is worthless and the number of people ready to spend money on it will be very small.
    I would not spend £100 on it, pretty sure @Dav wouldn't either, pretty sure most of TFL would not buy it.

If you intend to buy it to wear it to death and use it as a beater B-3 then why not, but be aware that this jacket has lost all it's "investment/collector value".

red devil and Dav like this.