Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nathan Ford

New in Town
It is best to measure a jacket you feel fits you well. Then match those numbers. Typically, you would take your chest measurement (measured at nipple height) and add 2-4in. Then divide by 2 for the pit to pit. 2in extra for slim fit/ 4in for relaxed fit.
I measure 38-39inches and wear between a 20.5” and 21.5” pit to pit comfortably.
Thanks again for another tip! Now I gradually figure out how it works.

Nathan Ford

New in Town
This question is gonna get you into more trouble than any answer might be worth. Naturally you want to get the most perfect fitting jacket but the answer is something you can discover only on your own - And maybe ask for some opinions in the process but I don't think you should go with what people online tell you your jacket ought to feel like, before actually trying it on.

There's no correct fit and if there is, I'd say it lies somewhere between looking great and feeling comfortable. But the most important thing is to try the jacket on.

As for the shoulder measurement, some very major leather jacket makers will tell you that it pretty much doesn't exist and I completely agree. I've got my beef with Stu but man knows what he's talking about and makes a perfect leather jacket so this is one of those cases where I'd ignore what the mum has to say and go with the advice of the professionals. :)

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Ordering_Information.htm

Seriously, ignore shoulder width, whatever even that may be. To this day I'm not even close to sure how to take it.
I think I've just saved 2 years of researching, thanks again. This forum really amazing!

Nathan Ford

New in Town
It's funny I just bought this exact jacket. Should be arriving in the next few days. That one looks in good condition so I think $900 is probably market value for it. I also tried it on years ago at Self Edge. Unfortunately they stopped making it a long time ago. Besides the model pic, I've only seen it worn twice. The most recent by someone selling theirs on Grailed. I was surprised at how small it fit. The Flat Head jackets definitely fit small.
For me personally I never go by tag size. I'm short but I still have pretty broad shoulders and chest.
Sound like you're describing me, LOL, though my chest not really broad. Could you tell me your build, weight,... and the TFH size you feel good, so I can use it as a reference??

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Sound like you're describing me, LOL, though my chest not really broad. Could you tell me your build, weight,... and the TFH size you feel good, so I can use it as a reference??

I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 138 lbs with an average athletic build. I tend to fluctuate between 135 and 145.

I purchased a size 36. It's going to fit me just fine although the front length will be pretty short, which is ok for me.

The very next day after I bought mine another size 36 popped up on Buyee.com for an absolute steal and looks to be in good condition.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g471642358?conversionType=mypage_watch_list

I paid more than $500 :mad::mad::mad:!!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Very informative, thank you. Now, I feel less obsessive with the shoulder width.

Reading all the advice above it sounds like getting a jacket that fits well is close to mysticism and staggeringly complex so I think you need to give up and just buy active wear from your nearby mall.

Just joking. It can feel overwhelming, and another issue with jackets is overthinking them. Guys frequently buy good fitting jackets but decide that they are wrong in some way - out half an inch in the length or the wrong shape at the back when zipped, etc. It is easy to become a perfectionist and set yourself some crazy standards and even see problems with the fit that no one else would notice or care about. That's when you know you are in deep.

On size - it is a good starting place - I am generally a 42 in jackets - however in Aero jackets, for instance, I wear a 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, depending on the pattern. This is why the size can have limitations. Pit-to pit may change with patterns.

Like jeo I have a range of measurements I tend to go with. Pit to pit being the most important, followed by sleeve length. Sleeve because I have a hatred of sleeves that look too short to me. Some people don't share that. I personally do worry about shoulders - in my experience anything less than 18.5 and anything over 21 looks bad on me. From empirical evidence I can say the first will sit too tight, the second almost always look sloppy.

Last edited:

Aleksanda Jeremic

New in Town
Please help about this eastman b3 jacket..it looks genuine to me ,but has only one neck strap which is very unusuall.If someone can help thanks

Attachments

• IMG-1af613de05cc71a91f9b644d4094e5fa-V.jpg
    IMG-1af613de05cc71a91f9b644d4094e5fa-V.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG-2d770950e9ebe8f5cb75bdcf68eeec16-V.jpg
    IMG-2d770950e9ebe8f5cb75bdcf68eeec16-V.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG-86c32acc832211be4dfc9948278154f7-V.jpg
    IMG-86c32acc832211be4dfc9948278154f7-V.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG-c65841717e7037bb1e8252ceafd8aa5e-V.jpg
    IMG-c65841717e7037bb1e8252ceafd8aa5e-V.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG-538706e55f4f10106d4b3a7f4ee20694-V.jpg
    IMG-538706e55f4f10106d4b3a7f4ee20694-V.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 582

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Please help about this eastman b3 jacket..it looks genuine to me ,but has only one neck strap which is very unusuall.If someone can help thanks

The collar is wrong, it should reach almost to the shoulders and it doesn't.
I remember reading a post about some dude who had the collar of his B-3 altered to be smaller because he felt the giant collar looked stupid, it was years ago. The guy had a seamstress cut half of his collar off.
I wonder if this is this jacket?
I vote original Eastman but altered by a previous owner.

Last edited:

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Nathan Ford

Getting a decent fit is not complicated, especially if the jacket has a good pattern. These tend to look good on people with different body shape. I lost quite a bit of weight last year but still kept all of my jackets, some of them are a bit big, but still fit well. You can still buy jackets for life and keep them - that is mostly what I have done so far with few exceptions.

When it comes to TFH, they are geared towards the Asian market, so I would not risk it this early on, without having a chance to try it on. The numbers won't help you here, either you have the right body type or you don't.

Edit: in this thread I try to highlight the differences after having lost weight.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
sorry, I made a typing error. That leather jacket only has 61 cm vertical length. I assumed it will just right to cover my belt. It isn't a car coat.

Got it, I knew something was off lol The cafe racer looks so much cooler For me but the half belt looks very sleek too

Aleksanda Jeremic

New in Town
The collar is wrong, it should reach almost to the shoulders and it doesn't.
I remember reading a post about some dude who had the collar of his B-3 altered to be smaller because he felt the giant collar looked stupid, it was years ago. The guy had a seamstress cut half of his collar off.
I wonder if this is this jacket?
I vote original Eastman but altered by a previous owner.
Thanks for reply .I am offered the jacket for 370euros,so I wonder if it is ok price for this jacket. Thx

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks for reply .I am offered the jacket for 370euros,so I wonder if it is ok price for this jacket. Thx

Looks like it's had a good 50mm removed from the collar, which to my mind has rendered it worthless, but that's just me. Apart from that it looks like an early eastman, not sure about the hanger though, I thought they were chains but perhaps the early ones weren't. Personally I wouldn't buy it.
IMG_20210110_101821.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank for reply..not even if I can negotiate price around 270e?the jacket itself looks new..

if you like the jacket so much and you think it's worth the price, then buy it. The jacket will surely serve its purpose. but keep in mind, should you want to sell them, leather jackets enthusiasts are unlikely to be among the target group.

Aleksanda Jeremic

New in Town
Thanks a lot for your reply..I will try it on tomorrow and make a final decesion.I ll post pics of me wearing it and will be ready for all kind of comments

Reactions: Dav

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks a lot for your reply..I will try it on tomorrow and make a final decesion.I ll post pics of me wearing it and will be ready for all kind of comments

Like @MrProper is saying, the problem is that if you then try to sell that jacket on, 99% of jacket enthusiast will think that jacket is worthless and the number of people ready to spend money on it will be very small.
I would not spend £100 on it, pretty sure @Dav wouldn't either, pretty sure most of TFL would not buy it.

If you intend to buy it to wear it to death and use it as a beater B-3 then why not, but be aware that this jacket has lost all it's "investment/collector value".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko