Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prax

New in Town
Thanks for the quick advice; rough-out as in leather with the rough side out. My particular coat is unlined as well, so that on the inside of the jacket you can see the smooth, show side of the leather that was flipped outward. Is washing this thing in cold water truly safe? That kind of seems insane to me! I'll give the scotch brite pads a try if my bristle brush can't do the trick.

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
Would someone here know how interchangeable removable collars are on Schott jackets? I have this Schott 620 from the Schott Sportswear era that has snaps for a collar and I was thinking of getting the removable collar from Schott's website. However, they explicitly call out the 618, 118, and 125 as what that collar is made for. Failing that, would you have any recommendations on who or where to go to for a collar besides getting one that comes with another jacket? Thanks!
P.S. I'm not Cox, and I don't know who that is.

Attachments

• IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 464
  • IMG_4094.jpg
    IMG_4094.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 465

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Would someone here know how interchangeable removable collars are on Schott jackets? I have this Schott 620 from the Schott Sportswear era that has snaps for a collar and I was thinking of getting the removable collar from Schott's website. However, they explicitly call out the 618, 118, and 125 as what that collar is made for. Failing that, would you have any recommendations on who or where to go to for a collar besides getting one that comes with another jacket? Thanks!
I was able to fit a 187sm collar onto a 125 in the same size . It’s not a perfect fit but hardly noticeable

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Contact Jeri at Schott. Besides the obvious configuration of the snaps, there's lots of other factors (i.e. jacket collar width and shape)

As for other options, I think others have used Johnson Leathers and maybe Dena to create custom mutton collars. I got a couple jackets I'm thinking about doing as well. I love that milk chocolate with black leather combo and might end up doing my Schott 118 like that.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I popped the snap off my trucker jacket while stretching.

Is it the kind of repair I can do at home or should I send it somewhere? I imagine this is a pretty common, easy fix but its a first for me.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars

Is it the kind of repair I can do at home or should I send it somewhere? I imagine this is a pretty common, easy fix but its a first for me.

Aren’t most snaps installed like rivets? Is so, it should be really straightforward.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Aren’t most snaps installed like rivets? Is so, it should be really straightforward.

Yeah, one of the two little prongs from the back side of the rivet snapped off. The other is still there and kinda holds the snap in place but I'm sure it'll come off again if I snap it or jump around.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, one of the two little prongs from the back side of the rivet snapped off. The other is still there and kinda holds the snap in place but I'm sure it'll come off again if I snap it or jump around.
you might need some sort of crimping or grommet sort of tool. Otherwise, you can probably finnagle it. If the "ugly" part is going to be on the inside and not very visible, I'd give it a go.

I've got to install an eyelet in the arm pit vent of the Ridley I just bought. Somehow one of them fell out or who knows, was never installed and missed QC. Anyway, Carrie at TB was nice enough to send me some parts. Should be here tomorrow. I'm going to try and do myself. Think I have a good plan. Basically the part that needs to fold over and hold against the leather will be on the inside of the jacket. I'm going to cut the eyelet sleeve in three or four places and then "gently" hammer down. A proper tool would do this piece of cake, but it's like $10 and I'm not even sure I'm buying the right size. So, I'm going to give it a try. The harder part is resewing the liner and even that ain't no big deal. All on the inside so I'm not being super critical. Worst case, I'll take to a shoe cobbler.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I did that once, super easy fix.

Get some DOT snap caps, and get the tool (just google "dot snap cap tool"), it's a little punch style tool and a small rounded anvil.
You just have to drill out whatever was left of the old snap cap, put a new one in and hammer the rivet in place.
There are a bunch of videos showing the proces on youtube.

Edit: you might not have to change both parts of the cap.
In my case the male end failed, i changed that part and it still snapped in the Lee branded female part of the snap.
It doesn't snap as hard as it does on a female DOT snap cap, but it is strong enough that i left it.

jn1DTBG.jpg

BigWasabi

New in Town
Hi, I am new here and have looked around quite a bit but am having difficulty finding any kind of thread on travel? Specifically, I'm looking for a Main travel thread, where perhaps countries and cities are listed individually and the places one should consider visiting while there? Like the best vintage stores, shops, barbers, motorcycle shops, etc. I'm am planning a trip soon to Tokyo for example, and would like to hear others recommendations on what stores to be sure to visit and experience from the eyes of a Fedoralounge member. Every city in the world has it's little nooks and "not to miss" shops for quality boots, glasses, hats, jackets, etc., so it would be cool to have one place to look and see others recommendations.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a two panel sleeve vs a three panel sleeve?
if by the 3 panels mean 3 vertical panels, if so, I like it better since the sleeve is less flat and the elbow is further away from any seams, if by 3 panel is like 2 vertical panel with small panel near the upper armpit/ inside of the biceps, that I don't understand. I only have 1 jacket with 3 vertical panels, the rest are 2 panels sleeve with several vertical seams setting, on one jacket I try having seam right along the elbow line, on another I asked for seams not at the elbow, to see what effect it feels in wear and movement, I think the one with seams not in line with elbow keep the sleeve rounder when on the hanger, the one with seam right at the elbow get flattened when on the hanger overtime.

Last edited:

Rich22

Practically Family
I think the bonus third panel under the armpit is to allow for crafting a larger/lower armhole. Supposedly, with thick/stiff material you are better off with three vertical panels, as mentioned above, to provide better contouring and freer movement.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Q: How many different crosszip collars do Aero offer?

Thanks!

As far as I know, there is the standard J106 block which is a bit longer in the body, has a drop 6 to 7 ratio in the torso. Then there is the "motorcycle" pattern which seems like the same as the Indian Ranger which is shorter in the body, and VERY TIGHT WAIST, drop 8 to 9 ratio in the torso. Lastly is the slimfit version which is the Thurston version which just has less taper than the standard J106. I believe Ton had all the different versions if you search google the photos will show up with key words like J106 Aero biker...etc.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a two panel sleeve vs a three panel sleeve?

I think it's just design. I personally like the three pc construction better. The two pc construction is mostly on racing shirt styles like the J100 and they are always curved aggressively which isn't comfortable when the leather is thicker, the rolls will pinch. It also seems wasteful to have a full underside panel that has aggressive curves. Different makers use smaller and bigger top pc (in 3pc set up). I don't notice any difference when I am wearing them.

bien

One of the Regulars
Hi FDL community! I need your advice! I found a leather jacket that I want to buy, but I am not sure if I am going to fit it. I am new to the leather jacket game. I just got my first aero board racer a month ago and it fits me well, a tiny tiny bit tight maybe, but i am assuming it would fit better as the leather relaxes over time and I think that is how a leather jacket is supposed to fit anyway: tiny bit snug.
The measurements of my board racer (not that it matters on aero jackets but it's tagged as 40) are as follows:
CHEST: 21.5 in,
SHOULDERS: 17.5,
BACK LENGTH: 25,
SLEEVE LENGTH 25 (i may prefer it to be 0.5 to an inch longer but, oh well).
Now the leather jacket I found is an AERO PREMIER HIGHWAYMAN (not that it matters on aero jackets but it's tagged 38) and the measurements are:
CHEST 19
SHOULDERS 16
BACK LENGTH 24
SLEEVE LENGTH 24.5.
So my question is: would this fit me? if not, is there a way i can make it fit? should i risk it? would it stretch out eventually to fit me? thanks everyone in advance!

Hi FDL community! I need your advice! I found a leather jacket that I want to buy, but I am not sure if I am going to fit it. I am new to the leather jacket game. I just got my first aero board racer a month ago and it fits me well, a tiny tiny bit tight maybe, but i am assuming it would fit better as the leather relaxes over time and I think that is how a leather jacket is supposed to fit anyway: tiny bit snug.
The measurements of my board racer (not that it matters on aero jackets but it's tagged as 40) are as follows:
CHEST: 21.5 in,
SHOULDERS: 17.5,
BACK LENGTH: 25,
SLEEVE LENGTH 25 (i may prefer it to be 0.5 to an inch longer but, oh well).
Now the leather jacket I found is an AERO PREMIER HIGHWAYMAN (not that it matters on aero jackets but it's tagged 38) and the measurements are:
CHEST 19
SHOULDERS 16
BACK LENGTH 24
SLEEVE LENGTH 24.5.
So my question is: would this fit me? if not, is there a way i can make it fit? should i risk it? would it stretch out eventually to fit me? thanks everyone in advance!

If you find your Board Racer tight at 21.5" chest, there's no freaking way the other jacket will fit you. 19" P2P is a size 36, while 21.5" is 40.

To answer your questions, assuming the provided numbers are correct...

"would this fit me?"
No.

"is there a way i can make it fit?"

Nope.

"would it stretch out eventually to fit me?"

Never.

"should i risk it?"

You shouldn't.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members