Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
If you find your Board Racer tight at 21.5" chest, there's no freaking way the other jacket will fit you. 19" P2P is a size 36, while 21.5" is 40.
yep, to put it simply.

If it were closer in size, there'd be a few variables to really hone in the equation. Leather type (i.e. CXL fits different than Vicenza), Gussets/Action Back allow for a smaller measurement, Style (some jackets you can get away wearing tighter, i.e. a racer)

edit, btw, I bet those measurements are wrong on the 38. True, Aero is all over the place with sizing, but there's always ease. So a 38 size won't have 19 or 38 chest. It'll be at least a 20 ptp or 40, maybe even higher depending on style. But still going to be too small for you I'm guessing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
^^^P2P fit depends a lot on how high/low the arm hole is. For example, a size 40 with low arm hole (Aero), can be up to 24", and a size 40 wool suit with arm hole right up to the armpit is only 22" Both will work on my body. This brings me to my question:

How do we measure arm hole height? Or how does the maker let us know how high or low their arm hole is? For sports jackets I prefer lower armholes, it's easier to get in and out of. The high arm hole jackets I would have to stretch a little to get into them, but same comfort once its on.

Achterbahn

New in Town
I'm so glad I found this thread!

I'm considering buying my first ever leather jacket. I have been getting into leather goods progressively this year, and thought a leather jacket would be a good addition.

So far, the Aero Highwayman has caught my eye. I prefer the Premier due to the slimmer fit, but I could only find the Highwayman at a decent price and in great shape. My biggest questions are:

1. For a FQHH Highwayman, what is the temperature cutoff that it gets uncomfortable to wear it w/ just a t-shirt underneath? I live in SF, so winters aren't very cold and summers aren't very hot, but having never owned a leather jacket, I have no idea whether I would actually end up using it or not, or if I'm better off looking for something more 'modern' with a thinner leather.

2. I hear that the FQHH is pretty stiff. My biggest concern is that when I go out with it, I will look too much like a robot, with restricted movement, that it won't be casual anymore. Will it be stiff for a long time and uncomfortable to move in?

That's it for now, and thanks!

bien

One of the Regulars
If you find your Board Racer tight at 21.5" chest, there's no freaking way the other jacket will fit you. 19" P2P is a size 36, while 21.5" is 40.

To answer your questions, assuming the provided numbers are correct...

"would this fit me?"
No.

"is there a way i can make it fit?"

Nope.

"would it stretch out eventually to fit me?"

Never.

"should i risk it?"

You shouldn't.
you sir, made me LOL. thank you for making my day. i hope i can return the favor one day!
I will now forget that jacket and move on. =)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a two panel sleeve vs a three panel sleeve?

I've had this same question. I have both types in vintage jackets, but three piece appears to be the norm. The original A2 jackets all had 2 piece sleeves. The specs for A2 may tell why in some part, but I don't know, I'm just guessing. Seems most information about the A2 has been uncovered.

Is one more cost efficient or better use of materials?
Makes for a better fit?

1. For a FQHH Highwayman, what is the temperature cutoff that it gets uncomfortable to wear it w/ just a t-shirt underneath? I live in SF, so winters aren't very cold and summers aren't very hot, but having never owned a leather jacket, I have no idea whether I would actually end up using it or not, or if I'm better off looking for something more 'modern' with a thinner leather.

This hugely depends on the lining.

Leather thickness has... Well, let's say varying effect on how your jacket will make you feel. For instance, leather on its own is a horrible insulator BUT a black leather jacket will heat up to the extreme on a warm, sunny day because black, as you know, to absorbs light and turns it into heat. Black hide will get very warm under direct sunlight, even on a cold-ish day.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, low temperatures will essentially cool down the oils and all that stuff the leather's filled with & turn it into an icy shroud, making you feel even colder.

So it's all about the lining.

Pure cotton lining is most breathable and least uncomfortable in heat, though providing very little insulation once it gets (really) cold. It's still better than nothing.

Nylon/polyester linings are hellish on a hot day, though they're great at trapping your body heat between you and the leather shell, making the jacket significantly warmer.

Wool linings are very reliable though this also depends on how thick/heavy we're talking about.

There's a lot to it but in short, for a moderate climate, I'd recommend a mid-weight leather jacket with a 100% cotton lining. If you expect the weather to become colder, best to take an additional layer with you that day. But you can't go wrong with a cotton lining.

2. I hear that the FQHH is pretty stiff. My biggest concern is that when I go out with it, I will look too much like a robot, with restricted movement, that it won't be casual anymore. Will it be stiff for a long time and uncomfortable to move in?

FQHH starts off stiff but breaks in very quickly (takes about a week for the jacket to relax). Though even before becoming fully broken in, your body temperature will immediately soften the jacket up when you put it on, making it feel much more comfortable. This is unique to FQHH however 'cause it's stuffed with wax, and doesn't work with every type of leather.

I never found FQHH uncomfortable to wear.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I've had this same question. I have both types in vintage jackets, but three piece appears to be the norm. The original A2 jackets all had 2 piece sleeves. The specs for A2 may tell why in some part, but I don't know, I'm just guessing. Seems most information about the A2 has been uncovered.

Is one more cost efficient or better use of materials?
Makes for a better fit?
I asked Greg field. He says there's no difference in terms of comfort or movement.

"That seam doesn’t do anything, it’s just a design feature. I’m sure it was created back in the day to keep the panels as small as possible to keep down wastage."

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The one on top has three panels.

View attachment 365346
maybe so the inside of the sleeve biceps tapers a bit not as wide as the opening , I think I see similar panel config on the inside of the thigh of a cargo pants, probably also for similar purpose so even with low crotch it funnels more and tapers toward the knee without creating unnecessary creases like if you just tapers two panel, probably that's why jeans has lots of creases while cargo pants is more 3Dshaped and has less creases.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What's the model name of this awesome teacore Lewis Leathers?

9565E2C9-2A18-4FC9-974B-387087BD2102.jpeg
8535CEAF-6632-4CF5-B7D4-115542564606.jpeg
E174FFB3-D7F3-4BE1-9255-B189441E1D3A.jpeg
FAE45FC6-F9DC-4E26-A353-7AE40B7A1794.jpeg
D0A6F104-F309-4AAB-BDFF-4E2170D69999.jpeg
4751020B-697A-4848-BEF4-ECCAEB087363.jpeg
F49F4604-9F3D-4DA7-B252-71C37388C7BC.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

BigWasabi

New in Town
I've searched but haven't found anything thus far, so I hope this isn't a repeated question:
I have several very nice leather jackets, one of which is goat skin and it is squeaky. Think like a pair of shoes that every time you step in them they make a sound, I have this effect on this specific goat skin leather jacket. I am asking if anyone else has expereince with this since it is a bit annoying and I am thinking to have a new custom jacket made for me and am picking the material so I want to be sure to avoid this. Not really too sure why some materials squeak and other don't... never figured that one out. Does anyone have any info or insight on this subject?
Thank you FL forum!

Claudio Pellerito

Familiar Face
If you've got a quick jacket question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about fit, design, patterns, choice of leather, makers, hardware etc,. this is the place.
Can anyone tell me the history of this jacket?

Attachments

• 11116DDB-9B9E-482B-AFBD-104F9BCFE716.jpeg
    11116DDB-9B9E-482B-AFBD-104F9BCFE716.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 657
  • 43E81C55-07C9-4E32-A5BE-20338F680C5A.jpeg
    43E81C55-07C9-4E32-A5BE-20338F680C5A.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 665
  • F694671B-E586-46C0-8B99-5E1D7D4A99A9.jpeg
    F694671B-E586-46C0-8B99-5E1D7D4A99A9.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 655
  • C903CF60-FF9A-4AF1-AC94-CED3DA4171EB.jpeg
    C903CF60-FF9A-4AF1-AC94-CED3DA4171EB.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 661

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've searched but haven't found anything thus far, so I hope this isn't a repeated question:
I have several very nice leather jackets, one of which is goat skin and it is squeaky. Think like a pair of shoes that every time you step in them they make a sound, I have this effect on this specific goat skin leather jacket. I am asking if anyone else has expereince with this since it is a bit annoying and I am thinking to have a new custom jacket made for me and am picking the material so I want to be sure to avoid this. Not really too sure why some materials squeak and other don't... never figured that one out. Does anyone have any info or insight on this subject?
Thank you FL forum!
I just wipe my hands on the squeaky spots after I use some hand lotions, it does the trick.

BigWasabi

New in Town
I just wipe my hands on the squeaky spots after I use some hand lotions, it does the trick.
What?! Seriously!? All this time I could have just done that... that makes me so happy to hear and yet I'm diappointed that I didn't think of this myself already. Thank you, I'll give it a go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21