Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al 916

One Too Many
A good bit of electroplating should last. We used to have our cam covers plated as I recall.
I cannot remember if it is chrome or Nickel that is harder

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the suggestion #Monitor, will consider if I can't stretch it a touch. My left hand is 1cm in circumference smaller and just fits, a little tight but OK, so I only need to stretch the right one a touch.

#Mark, not sure if my hands are as big as me old mate Trumpy, but I know my wallet is much slimmer. The manufacturer in multiple correspondence never suggested returning for amending or credit, actually to be honest, were not that helpful as they put the issue solely to the fact that my hands are too big and did not offer any real solutions. A bit disappointing as the previous jacket that they made for me was so perfect.

Before I try to correct, will probably create a Fit post to get others opinions on the overall fit of the Jacket. To me, it feels a little small and tight overall, even considering that it is a riders jacket, its like slipping on a wet-suit without the elasticity. Thinking that this jacket might hit the Classifieds.

Classic Aero move...
If somethign isn't right you are on your own.

Frame

New in Town
Hi everybody, I've been putting a good amount of wear these days on my Lewis Leathers Dominator and noticed a loose thread in the left armpit area -- anything to worry about? Many thanks!

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's just a top stitch. It's the blind stitch underneath it that is holding the sleeves to the body. The top stitch re-enforce the bond but the blind stitch is doing most of the work.
So this for now is more of a cosmetic issue.
I would at least try to tie a dead knot in the lose thread to stop it pulling anymore. If you are comfortable you could always melt it down and flatten it too. Assuming its a poly thread.
This is their regular horsehide right? I like the lining combo!

Frame

New in Town
Thanks Canuck Panda, that's reassuring -- I'll try to knot it off. Yes it's their horsehide, about four years of wear on her. Very enjoyable jacket.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe someone has an idea which jacket this could be?
I can imagine these being good for summer when it's just too warm for leather jackets.
View attachment 385280
Ok, it's not the same jacket, but similar. For off the rack it is actually quite passable. The sleeves could be a tad longer (but in the summer I often push the sleeves up a bit in shirts and light jackets) and around the belly a little less blouson, but as a light windbreaker in the summer it should fit.
2EA7CEA0-900C-4DBF-AE21-F25AF9C11C91.jpeg 1037FE33-E6AC-4ADD-8DF5-18A50F71D0C8.jpeg 23F84FD6-543C-458C-ACC3-55343AB1C407.jpeg 1E2E1663-F2EA-4891-B9D9-0DA2CDDF5F3C.jpeg

Leather Walker

Practically Family
What a _____ joke is this!?
wtf.jpg

Edit Note: This is a family friendly forum. We need to watch our language in our comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ok, it's not the same jacket, but similar. For off the rack it is actually quite passable. The sleeves could be a tad longer (but in the summer I often push the sleeves up a bit in shirts and light jackets) and around the belly a little less blouson, but as a light windbreaker in the summer it should fit.
View attachment 389298 View attachment 389299 View attachment 389300 View attachment 389301
Thats as good as it'll get for an off the rack jacket. Hugo Boss Tall size?

What a _____ joke is this!?
View attachment 389420
Street art
before price $350
after street art treatment $35,000 starting bid. cost of admission to the bidding event $350 per person, no open bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thats as good as it'll get for an off the rack jacket. Hugo Boss Tall size?

Thank you. Boss I would also have had something to choose from, but then I did not like. This was a chance find and then also discounted. Since I could not say no. Lol
The manufacturer is "Dekker". An Italian label. I had never heard of it until now.
But it looks valuable and well made.

jglf

A-List Customer
I'm pretty sure the nickel ones are brass that is nickel plated, i have never heard of a solid nickel belt buckle...
I have also never worn through the nickel plating of a nickel plated belt, if it is a quality buckle it shouldn't happen.
This is correct. The belt buckle is solid brass with a nickel coating. I’ve also never worn down nickel plating in any of my belts. If you want a stainless buckle, I would suggest going with a leather gunbelt company that has a removable buckle secured by chicago screws.

Leather Walker

Practically Family

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The whole point of tanning is to remove everything susceptible to organic decomposition from leather so stuffing it back with active organic substance such as lard, doesn't make any sense to me.
I'd say that using pure silicone-based conditioners seems less (maybe even least) harmful to it but I have heard of people applying lard to their leathers with no ill effect so I don't really know. . .

All I know is that I personally wouldn't do it. It's kinda gross, too.

I do agree with you some people might find the use of lard gross. However, Lard/beef fat, is found in most conditioners. Not long ago I remember seeing a video feauturing
David Himel. I believe he mentions the use us lard around minute 6:00. As I stated before, this recommendation came from an industry expert with more than 40 years in the leather producing industry. Old school professional who truly knows hides. Additionally, he advised me in simple additions to lard to improve the COLOR of simple shades of brown and black. For me, lard/beef fat is king. Followed by baseline as PRINCIPAL ingredient for conditioning leather.

I must update the vocabulary. I used the word lard instead of TALLOW to describe beef fat. It should be noted lard is pork fat.

No joke, while making tamales (last night 24th December, traditional meal for my family on Christmas eve) I literally used some of the tallow I had from my tamales ingredients to mix in to conditioner to "rejuvenate" a vanson type E.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
DH talks about beef fat, also known as tallow. Lard is from pigs. Not sure if it makes any difference. I know tallow oils are used in leather conditioners, never heard of lard being used.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
^^
DH talks about beef fat, also known as tallow. Lard is from pigs. Not sure if it makes any difference. I know tallow oils are used in leather conditioners, never heard of lard being used.

You are correct. Lard is from pigs. I always know lard as the white grease beef or pork fat. Likewise, In Latin America we call it "manteca" to both beef or pork. It is distinguished by manteca de puerco/res. Beef fat is what my friend recommends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points