Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

A good bit of electroplating should last. We used to have our cam covers plated as I recall.
    I cannot remember if it is chrome or Nickel that is harder

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Classic Aero move...
    If somethign isn't right you are on your own.

Jin431 likes this.
  3. Frame

Frame New in Town

Hi everybody, I've been putting a good amount of wear these days on my Lewis Leathers Dominator and noticed a loose thread in the left armpit area -- anything to worry about? Many thanks!

IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg

Jin431 and tmitchell59 like this.
  4. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

That's just a top stitch. It's the blind stitch underneath it that is holding the sleeves to the body. The top stitch re-enforce the bond but the blind stitch is doing most of the work.
    So this for now is more of a cosmetic issue.
    I would at least try to tie a dead knot in the lose thread to stop it pulling anymore. If you are comfortable you could always melt it down and flatten it too. Assuming its a poly thread.
    This is their regular horsehide right? I like the lining combo!

Jin431 likes this.
  5. Frame

Frame New in Town

Thanks Canuck Panda, that's reassuring -- I'll try to knot it off. Yes it's their horsehide, about four years of wear on her. Very enjoyable jacket.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  6. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Ok, it's not the same jacket, but similar. For off the rack it is actually quite passable. The sleeves could be a tad longer (but in the summer I often push the sleeves up a bit in shirts and light jackets) and around the belly a little less blouson, but as a light windbreaker in the summer it should fit.
    2EA7CEA0-900C-4DBF-AE21-F25AF9C11C91.jpeg 1037FE33-E6AC-4ADD-8DF5-18A50F71D0C8.jpeg 23F84FD6-543C-458C-ACC3-55343AB1C407.jpeg 1E2E1663-F2EA-4891-B9D9-0DA2CDDF5F3C.jpeg

7. Leather Walker

Leather Walker One of the Regulars

What a _____ joke is this!?
    wtf.jpg

Edit Note: This is a family friendly forum. We need to watch our language in our comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2021
  8. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Thats as good as it'll get for an off the rack jacket. Hugo Boss Tall size?

Street art
    before price $350
    after street art treatment $35,000 starting bid. cost of admission to the bidding event $350 per person, no open bar.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2021
  9. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Thank you. Boss I would also have had something to choose from, but then I did not like. This was a chance find and then also discounted. Since I could not say no. Lol
    The manufacturer is "Dekker". An Italian label. I had never heard of it until now.
    But it looks valuable and well made.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  10. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

This is correct. The belt buckle is solid brass with a nickel coating. I’ve also never worn down nickel plating in any of my belts. If you want a stainless buckle, I would suggest going with a leather gunbelt company that has a removable buckle secured by chicago screws.

Marc mndt likes this.
  11. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Can anyone identify the maker?

B229D566-6AFD-45DF-B6F0-EA94F3AA01AA.jpeg
    AC3908FB-E406-497C-8ED7-46BBAACC0060.jpeg
    BD08248E-FAE0-437E-93F7-C76EBE236BF4.jpeg CE10F102-C618-4B82-9B57-BEE561F68C3B.jpeg 2738B751-4103-4196-8FE9-C123083B4C1D.jpeg 50D2E492-05F2-48F6-B1EF-E930D420179E.jpeg A1806CFB-EF55-48AE-9352-ED59A82FAF3E.jpeg 148D5097-F7F3-4920-9194-B3366D852950.jpeg

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  12. Leather Walker

Canuck Panda, handymike and Marc mndt like this.
  13. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

14. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

Looks phenomenal, makes you wonder why Cals command much higher prices.

Al 916 and tmitchell59 like this.
  15. Leather Walker

True! @Al 916 I remember your jacket 'cause I found a Branded like yours this summer. I should study the difference between these two makers, I find their jackets very similar.

16. photo2u

photo2u Practically Family

I do agree with you some people might find the use of lard gross. However, Lard/beef fat, is found in most conditioners. Not long ago I remember seeing a video feauturing David Himel. I believe he mentions the use us lard around minute 6:00. As I stated before, this recommendation came from an industry expert with more than 40 years in the leather producing industry. Old school professional who truly knows hides. Additionally, he advised me in simple additions to lard to improve the COLOR of simple shades of brown and black. For me, lard/beef fat is king. Followed by baseline as PRINCIPAL ingredient for conditioning leather.

I must update the vocabulary. I used the word lard instead of TALLOW to describe beef fat. It should be noted lard is pork fat.

No joke, while making tamales (last night 24th December, traditional meal for my family on Christmas eve) I literally used some of the tallow I had from my tamales ingredients to mix in to conditioner to "rejuvenate" a vanson type E.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    handymike and roadking04 like this.
  17. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

^^
    DH talks about beef fat, also known as tallow. Lard is from pigs. Not sure if it makes any difference. I know tallow oils are used in leather conditioners, never heard of lard being used.

photo2u likes this.
  18. photo2u

photo2u Practically Family

You are correct. Lard is from pigs. I always know lard as the white grease beef or pork fat. Likewise, In Latin America we call it "manteca" to both beef or pork. It is distinguished by manteca de puerco/res. Beef fat is what my friend recommends.

Will Zach and JMax like this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Interesting. I’d think anything from animals would rot.

Peacoat likes this.
  20. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

Thanks Will.
    Not sure if I should keep it or let it go. Come March we are moving to our 'Little House on the meadow', a small stables conversion in a couple of acres fringed with woodland. It will be calm and gentle but low on space for jackets.

Or I could search for a mouton for this and create a jacket hut.....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021