Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al 916

One Too Many
Looks phenomenal, makes you wonder why Cals command much higher prices.

Thanks Will.
Not sure if I should keep it or let it go. Come March we are moving to our 'Little House on the meadow', a small stables conversion in a couple of acres fringed with woodland. It will be calm and gentle but low on space for jackets.

Or I could search for a mouton for this and create a jacket hut.....

Last edited:
Looks phenomenal, makes you wonder why Cals command much higher prices.

My take— Early Cals look nothing like the Branded or Lesco jackets. Totally different hides. Those SG/early Cals are expensive. Later Cals that are that are dark black, and look more like these jackets, can be had for less. In the same ballpark even. Some later Cals may be priced higher because people think all Cals are the same. I dunno. Also, Cal has a rich history (SG, Hollywood, music, police).

Al 916

One Too Many
My take— Early Cals look nothing like the Branded or Lesco jackets. Totally different hides. Those SG/early Cals are expensive. Later Cals that are that are dark black, and look more like these jackets, can be had for less. In the same ballpark even. Some later Cals may be priced higher because people think all Cals are the same. I dunno. Also, Cal has a rich history (SG, Hollywood, music, police).

I have never seen or handled a Cal in RL however from the images posted here I can understand what you are saying on all counts.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Best source to get Freewheelers jackets? Canadian members, which vendor do you use for FW stuff? Since it's made in Japan, we would have to pay not only the 12% HST but also the 18% import duty. Will any of the vendor declare less than full value? Please PM me if you don't want to get anyone in trouble. I am ok with paying the HST but not the import duty.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nickel is a soft metal. It's stupid to make a belt buckle out of solid nickel. Sellers can also lie or "inaccurately" describe. I could do an examination of this particular buckle. But I've already seen everything. I've been doing metals all my life. And I can even understand the quality of the metal used only by the color and shape of the product. No doubt I am grateful for your help, but this is definitely not what I am looking for.

I have now found a belt from Obbi Good Label with stainless steel buckle that I like. And also immediately ordered the brass version.

born113

One of the Regulars
I have now found a belt from Obbi Good Label with stainless steel buckle
Thanks a lot. I watched. And I already found steel and titanium buckles of the shape and size I needed. And I separately ordered the belts in the colors and weight I want from Nicks Boots (they are flexible and negotiable).

Pandemic

One Too Many
I’m looking for a new belt (to go with leather jackets so please don’t move this to the normie forums :) )

something with a little bling, but not Western - more punk rock but subtle enough for an older dude. I used to have some cheap studded belts when I was younger and was thinking something like that but in a better quality and toned down a bit. I did an eBay search and came up with this from a place called Hollywood Trading Company, which is close to what I had in mind. Any leads on where to look would be much appreciated!

View attachment 382857

Not sure where else to put this, so I’ll follow-up here to say I ended up getting an amazing custom belt from Legendary Vintage Belts:

E410CE08-335C-41D2-B422-BE303652ACB2.jpeg
4F628FA4-1AFC-4E6C-8E46-AD0714785E3A.jpeg
BE5431E9-C1F1-439B-830A-46B2510DE0FA.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks a lot. I watched. And I already found steel and titanium buckles of the shape and size I needed. And I separately ordered the belts in the colors and weight I want from Nicks Boots (they are flexible and negotiable).
Are you going to make your own belts?

born113

One of the Regulars
I bought belt blanks from Weaver Leather, some buckles I liked and made several belts. Fun and cheap (belt blanks are $20, 12-oz leather). But Nick's 12-14 oz is a great choice too.
Those Nicks belts that I mentioned you most likely have not seen yet. Nicks hasn't shown it on their website yet.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...d-old-leather-belts.86444/page-9#post-2884873
I also thought about belt blanks but did not find exactly the right colors for me. That is, these colors may exist, but I was not sure.

Colin G

One Too Many
Best source to get Freewheelers jackets? Canadian members, which vendor do you use for FW stuff? Since it's made in Japan, we would have to pay not only the 12% HST but also the 18% import duty. Will any of the vendor declare less than full value? Please PM me if you don't want to get anyone in trouble. I am ok with paying the HST but not the import duty.

Buy direct from the vendor in Japan that sells FW like McFly or whatever or use a proxy like Buyee for yahoo auctions. No one will declare a lesser value so that won't happen. I use yahoo auctions since you can get them way cheaper and bought all mine that way, No way would I pay retail since I think FW is overpriced, but I still love them.

Not once have I ever paid duty, not even when I brought a brand new jacket home from Japan while on vacation. Most I have paid is %10 tax plus a $30 brokerage fee from DHL. When EMS starts sending to Canada again I will pay no tax since everything I have purchased that has been shipped EMS squeaks through with zero tax and no brokerage fee. Post is usually around $50 CAD by DHL for a leather jacket and item is in my hand in a week. Cheaper and faster than buying from the USA. I buy most of my clothes from Japan now and there are zero duty charges with made in Japan goods. The only things I buy here in Canada are t-shirts, underwear and cheap Levis 510 jeans when they go on sale.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Buy direct from the vendor in Japan that sells FW like McFly or whatever or use a proxy like Buyee for yahoo auctions. No one will declare a lesser value so that won't happen. I use yahoo auctions since you can get them way cheaper and bought all mine that way, No way would I pay retail since I think FW is overpriced, but I still love them.

Not once have I ever paid duty, not even when I brought a brand new jacket home from Japan while on vacation. Most I have paid is %10 tax plus a $30 brokerage fee from DHL. When EMS starts sending to Canada again I will pay no tax since everything I have purchased that has been shipped EMS squeaks through with zero tax and no brokerage fee. Post is usually around $50 CAD by DHL for a leather jacket and item is in my hand in a week. Cheaper and faster than buying from the USA. I buy most of my clothes from Japan now and there are zero duty charges with made in Japan goods. The only things I buy here in Canada are t-shirts, underwear and cheap Levis 510 jeans when they go on sale.

Thank you!
I just googled, CPTPP! I didn't know that. I was still under the impression there was only free trade with US and Mexico and not with everyone else. But it seems the rules has changed since 2018.
Now the hunt has begun...

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know if a repro of this old Vanson swedish style jacket is being made by anyone? Man that is a cool looking jacket

Vanson-Black-Leather-Jacket-Excellent-Condition-Swedish-Patrol.jpg 2ec96dd51c40d44caf63d76c2db8e96e.jpg

Vanson probably does the best repro. They pop up from time to time. Kadoya leathers makes one. Spotted a few on eBay. Different but cool. I view Kadoya as the Japanese Vanson/Bates.

Originals still out the there. Seen a bunch.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know if a repro of this old Vanson swedish style jacket is being made by anyone? Man that is a cool looking jacket

View attachment 395008 View attachment 395009

If you are interested in the textile version they have the full kit here: https://secondsunrise.se/products/vintage-swedish-army-dispatch-riders-jacket-and-pants

The jackets are short and designed to be worn with the accompanying pants. Second Sunrise in Stockholm has the full set for sale (which I’ve never seen before, so pretty rare). I’ve been hovering over the “add to cart” button several times already.

barnabus

One Too Many
Does waxed cotton stretch over time?

I have just scored a jacket that's a perfect fit, except it's slightly too trim over my current hips. Will this loosen up with wear, do you think?

I guess it will as, on other waxed jackets I own, the pockets have bagged out more after use and loading.

I realise I could stand to lose a little of this Christmas timber, but stop judging me alright!

Mrkurtz

New in Town
My understanding is that the black Urads leather cream is not color fast. The reason I ask is I have an old Vanson Enfield that is starting to look a light gray. My concern is that it will transfer the color to my very light tan leather seats in the car. Am I correct in my understanding about the Urads not staying on the jacket? Thanks everyone.

Al 916

One Too Many
My understanding is that the black Urads leather cream is not color fast. The reason I ask is I have an old Vanson Enfield that is starting to look a light gray. My concern is that it will transfer the color to my very light tan leather seats in the car. Am I correct in my understanding about the Urads not staying on the jacket? Thanks everyone.

I have used Urad on Brown and Black and not noticed any transfer. If it's going to then light tan leather car seats are going to be the magnets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB