Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Folks who workout, how would you size for custom jacket considering the bulking/cutting and weight fluctuations?

The same jacket in two sizes.
I used to have. Once t-shirt fit, once for layering.
Also have a jeans in two sizes, to be able to pull something underneath in winter with the larger.

Although I exercise every day, my weight does not fluctuate significantly. Therefore, I cannot have a say from this point of view. Lol

Fonzie

One Too Many
The same jacket in two sizes.
I used to have. Once t-shirt fit, once for layering.
Also have a jeans in two sizes, to be able to pull something underneath in winter with the larger.

Although I exercise every day, my weight does not fluctuate significantly. Therefore, I cannot have a say from this point of view. Lol

While we are in the subject, would you mind sharing a quick few tips on how do you keep so extremely fit in your fifties?
You’ve mentioned body weight exercise, SUP paddle board and I guess the right diet too but I’d love to hear some specifics if it’s ok, as I need to get back into fitness ASAP and I’d love to hear your method.
Thanks in advance.

MrProper

While we are in the subject, would you mind sharing a quick few tips on how do you keep so extremely fit in your fifties?
You’ve mentioned body weight exercise, SUP paddle board and I guess the right diet too but I’d love to hear some specifics if it’s ok, as I need to get back into fitness ASAP and I’d love to hear your method.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot :)
I think in the second half of the fifties you have to do something constantly, because every longer break the body uses to break down. and really fast.
So I do a few exercises that take so little time that I have little excuse not to do them.
I do (almost) every day 70 pull-ups, 120 push-ups and 30 squads (pull-ups and push-ups each divided into 7 sets with different number of repetitions and always 60 seconds rest between sets.) and paddle between 10 km and 20 km a week, depending on the time. On vacation between 10 and 20 per day, but then no bodyweight training. Lol
My bodyweight workout lasts between 22 and 25 minutes, depending on fitness level, weight and motivation. And 20 minutes always works ;)
I do not go on a diet. I eat and drink whatever I want and that includes a lot of sweets. Now and then a beer. However, I do not eat breakfast, because I have no appetite in the morning and because I do not always like soft drinks, I drink mainly water.
Maybe I just have good genes that favor all this. Lol
And with my size, I can certainly eat more than others without it hitting right away. I'm 196 cm tall and weigh about 90 kg.

If needed, I can gladly provide my Excel with the repetitions of the 7 sets and the instructions.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I think in the second half of the fifties you have to do something constantly, because every longer break the body uses to break down. and really fast.
So I do a few exercises that take so little time that I have little excuse not to do them.
I do (almost) every day 70 pull-ups, 120 push-ups and 30 squads (pull-ups and push-ups each divided into 7 sets with different number of repetitions and always 60 seconds rest between sets.) and paddle between 10 km and 20 km a week, depending on the time. On vacation between 10 and 20 per day, but then no bodyweight training. Lol
My bodyweight workout lasts between 22 and 25 minutes, depending on fitness level, weight and motivation. And 20 minutes always works ;)
I do not go on a diet. I eat and drink whatever I want and that includes a lot of sweets. Now and then a beer. However, I do not eat breakfast, because I have no appetite in the morning and because I do not always like soft drinks, I drink mainly water.
And with my size, I can certainly eat more than others without it hitting right away. I'm 196 cm tall and weigh about 90 kg.

If needed, I can gladly provide my Excel with the repetitions of the 7 sets and the instructions.
Before I started running I used some of the same ideas as you. I did different types of pushups every day, 5-7 sets between 15 and 30 reps and alternating between 45,60 and 90 seconds rest. After I've started running I've layed off all upper body workout, but I seem to have retained most of my musclemass all the same.

Fonzie

One Too Many

Thanks for your reply and yes I’d love to have that program you follow on excel. I’ll PM cheers.

Rich22

Practically Family
I wish there was a clever answer I could give about what to do when gaining and losing considerable amounts of weight when bulking/cutting. It's caused me clothing problems for the past 20 years since getting in to weightlifting, and fluctuating between about 175 and 245 lbs (at 6'1). I ended up with two wardrobes, essentially.

Since lockdown ended I've trimmed right down, and feel healthier for it. I don't ever intend to bulk up again, so maybe I get to experience buying clothes that will fit for more than a brief period!

SlimJim

New in Town
This is a Aero Board Racer in blackened brown in size 36.
The arms and body have been slimmed as much as possible.
I think it looks OK when I wear another layer underneath.
However, my dream jacket is a fitted jacket with just a T-shirt underneath.
I want to get another leather jacket but no other style interests me.
I am thinking about getting another black or brown Cafe Racer style jacket which will be fitted.
What do you think? Will it be waste of money to own two jackets of the same style in slightly different sizes?

IMG_7295.jpg IMG_7420.jpg IMG_7523.jpg IMG_7544.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What do you think? Will it be waste of money to own two jackets of the same style in slightly different sizes?
Of course not. A common misperception amongst (first time) jacket buyers is that they buy one jacket and expect it to be fitted yet comfortable both for a tshirt fit as for layering. It doesn't work that way :)

If this is your dream jacket, why not buy another one slightly bigger so you can achieve the same look when layering. Makes sense to me.

I know some of you own many jackets that look the same. lol.
To my gf, all my leather jackets look the same lol. But I get her confusion, I own(ed) four ELMC Californians in different colors and sizes.

Great looking jacket btw and welcome to tfl.

Edit: I thought you were thinking of ordering another one slightly bigger for layering but I now see you're after an even more fitted look. Tbh, this one already looks fitted to me. Narrowing the sleeves even more might result in a jacket that looks feminine. Also, bending your arms might become uncomfortable.

Last edited:

MrProper

I am thinking about getting another black or brown Cafe Racer style jacket which will be fitted.

View attachment 360971 View attachment 360972 View attachment 360973 View attachment 360974
I would say the jacket fits perfectly and I wouldn't change a thing.
Even if you had it tightened, it wouldn't look better, but it would become more uncomfortable.
But the same jacket in different colors would definitely be my recommendation. lol

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 360971 View attachment 360972 View attachment 360973 View attachment 360974
That is not super trim but remember, in that pattern super trim can limit mobility when zipped. It’s the catch 22 of a lot of patterns. Do you want it to look perfect in photos or feel good while wearing...

I’ve been putting leather zipper pulls on some of my vintage jackets, and I really like the detail on the ones shown by @jonbuilder from his Langlitz.
57A2B058-0927-4EAF-B71F-7A8F98561AFA.jpeg
I've seen a couple of Japanese makers do them this way too with the V cut and double looping.
Does anyone have photos of how they are cut (laid out flat) and attached so I can make a few like this?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Poul

Familiar Face
Absolutely agree with BFd70 If you stand in front of the mirror surely look good but you know moved around doing something and the end of the day you fight this jacket because you feel like sousage.
Of course this is my personal opinion wear this jacket and see how it works.
Now its my question about the vanson 90 BLK sizing advice
Well my chest is 90 cm
shoulder 43cm
Waist 80 cm
My heigth is 165 cm May i ask for your opinion?
https://vansonleathers.com/mens-lea...ze-36/material_color-black_competition_weight

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

That's a perfect fit. Get one a size bigger in different color if you want or maybe a different brand that might have differences (hardware, leather type, etc.)

Rich22

Practically Family
That's a perfect fit. Get one a size bigger in different color if you want or maybe a different brand that might have differences (hardware, leather type, etc.)
I agree with this. Perfect fit, and if you love it, having one slightly smaller and one slightly bigger isn't a bad thing at all. Personally I'd change the colour and hardware for the second jacket, or have a different back design. Something aside from size to differentiate them.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been putting leather zipper pulls on some of my vintage jackets, and I really like the detail on the ones shown by @jonbuilder from his Langlitz.
View attachment 361034
I've seen a couple of Japanese makers do them this way too with the V cut and double looping.
Does anyone have photos of how they are cut (laid out flat) and attached so I can make a few like this?
Thanks so much!

I made this one myself. Just a long strip with two vertical cuts.

1D53918C-2AA2-4F43-A8E8-85E49D4E34E2.jpeg
467E61FF-7654-4307-8094-9C2D1035F940.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko