Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you all for a great website!

Can this jacket be brought back to the original pattern? From the photos it looks like it’s been altered on the seam between the arm pit and the waist. I really want one of these White Label One Pocket Harley cafe racer jackets!! Too cool!!

The owner is asking $180. I was gonna offer $100. Just not sure if it’s worth the work. Also don’t know if when that extra material was added to let out the jacket, did that do irreparable damage to the original pattern.

I called San Diego Leather and from my description he thought it might cost $125 to fix but he had to see it to be sure.

Just would appreciate any insight from the crew here at TFL. I have been pouring over this site for the last three weeks and absolutely love it!! You folks that are regular contributors have already helped me buy my first Cal Leather jacket!!! TFL is a great great resource for “new in towns” like me. Thanks to all of you!!
Seems the strips of leather are added because it was too small for the previous owner. Will it fit you if it is restored to the original size?

Delmared

New in Town
Seems the strips of leather are added because it was too small for the previous owner. Will it fit you if it is restored to the original size?
Based on what I have learned so far from everything I’ve read and the one Cal Leather jacket I have bought, I think removing those added pieces will result in a better fit, based on measurements he gave me. But as I’ve learned on the site, who knows how well he measured. Just trying to cover all my bases before buying.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

Can this jacket be brought back to the original pattern? From the photos it looks like it’s been altered on the seam between the arm pit and the waist. I really want one of these White Label One Pocket Harley cafe racer jackets!! Too cool!!

The owner is asking $180. I was gonna offer $100. Just not sure if it’s worth the work. Also don’t know if when that extra material was added to let out the jacket, did that do irreparable damage to the original pattern.

I called San Diego Leather and from my description he thought it might cost $125 to fix but he had to see it to be sure.

Just would appreciate any insight from the crew here at TFL. I have been pouring over this site for the last three weeks and absolutely love it!! You folks that are regular contributors have already helped me buy my first Cal Leather jacket!!! TFL is a great great resource for “new in towns” like me. Thanks to all of you!!
I wouldn't mess with it. Really good quality ones come up for sale here a few times a year. For about $300 you can get a really nice one. With this, you risk stitch holes, liner issues, etc.

I sent you a pm. I have one I've been considering selling but not clear on what size you need. Really cool jackets.

As @Blackadder pointed out, two leather strips have been installed between the side seam to add more width to the body of the jacket. The tailor seemed to have followed the original seam curvature so that simplifies the matter and even though I'm not sure how they stitched the sleeve back on, I do believe that the jacket can be restored to its original state.

Worst that can happen is that the body will be a tiny bit tighter than it originally was as I don't think the tailor will go through the same holes to restitch the original panels back again but we're talking maximum 0.5" difference.

In short, yeah, it's doable and while not such a complex alteration, it all depends if you're willing to drop $225 on the project, without being 100% sure whether or not this jacket was originally in your size.

These white label HD racers do pop up from time to time and I've seen a few getting sold for under a $170.

But $225 all in isn't a bad price at all for a nice jacket like this so...

Delmared

New in Town
I wouldn't mess with it. Really good quality ones come up for sale here a few times a year. For about $300 you can get a really nice one. With this, you risk stitch holes, liner issues, etc.

I sent you a pm. I have one I've been considering selling but not clear on what size you need. Really cool jackets.
Thank you for the info! I just replied to your PM.

Delmared

New in Town
As @Blackadder pointed out, two leather strips have been installed between the side seam to add more width to the body of the jacket. The tailor seemed to have followed the original seam curvature so that simplifies the matter and even though I'm not sure how they stitched the sleeve back on, I do believe that the jacket can be restored to its original state.

Worst that can happen is that the body will be a tiny bit tighter than it originally was as I don't think the tailor will go through the same holes to restitch the original panels back again but we're talking maximum 0.5" difference.

In short, yeah, it's doable and while not such a complex alteration, it all depends if you're willing to drop $225 on the project, without being 100% sure whether or not this jacket was originally in your size.

These white label HD racers do pop up from time to time and I've seen a few getting sold for under a $170.

But $225 all in isn't a bad price at all for a nice jacket like this so...
Thank you for posting that! Getting a very detailed explanation from a voice of experience is hugely helpful!! I really appreciate your insight! I love this site! You and all the other regular contributors to TFL are a great/thoughtful group! I’ve learned so much.

My gut is telling me not to take on another project, but on the other hand, I like doing restoration work. I just finished restoring a 1941 Harley bobber. It was a lot of work, but preserving history, whether it’s clothing or machines, is definitely a passion for me. Guess I’m waffling! Haha! You definitely gave me a lot to chew on… thanks for that!

Thank you for posting that! Getting a very detailed explanation from a voice of experience is hugely helpful!! I really appreciate your insight! I love this site! You and all the other regular contributors to TFL are a great/thoughtful group! I’ve learned so much.

My gut is telling me not to take on another project, but on the other hand, I like doing restoration work. I just finished restoring a 1941 Harley bobber. It was a lot of work, but preserving history, whether it’s clothing or machines, is definitely a passion for me. Guess I’m waffling! Haha! You definitely gave me a lot to chew on… thanks for that!

No problem at all & I am very happy to help whenever I can.

No doubt you will sooner find another HD Sportster jacket than a 1941 Harley Bobber but considering how painless this sort of alteration is, it's a fun little project to get into, should the money allow it. :)

But honestly, if you're not dead set on buying this jacket, perhaps it would be best to leave it for someone who will find the extra width to be a desired feature. Like I said, while there may not be exactly be abundance of these jackets, they do turn up occasionally.

Last edited:

Delmared

New in Town

No doubt you will sooner find another HD Sportster jacket than a 1941 Harley Bobber but considering how painless this sort of alteration is, it's a fun little project to get into, should the money allow it. :)

But honestly, if you're not dead set on buying this jacket, perhaps it would be best to leave it for someone who will find the extra width to be a desired feature. Like I said, while there may not be exactly be abundance of these jackets, they do turn up occasionally

But honestly, if you're not dead set on buying this jacket, perhaps it would be best to leave it for someone who will find the extra width to be a desired feature. Like I said, while there may not be exactly be abundance of these jackets, they do turn up occasionally.
Thank you!!

I asked this a week ago in Gen. Attire and got zilch....

I often refresh my wardrobe by re-dyeing my clothes. I tend to use a lot of Olive and Navy Blue, but I’m noticing that the dye job is tending to be not as color-fast or as covering as I want. I’ve been using Dylon powder as the Rit I tried was even more transparent. Things like discolored areas or spots of sun-fading are still visible even after a few hours in the bucket.
252A06DA-CF55-4899-88FF-C9B913B04E7F.jpeg
1F262DBB-1F3C-4A36-A813-72533BB3D5B7.jpeg
Any recommendations on better dye options?
I know the content of the fabric matters, but most is cotton or cotton/poly blend.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Delmared

New in Town
Can someone tell what brand jacket this is? And maybe how old it is? Sorry for the poor quality of pics. It’s all I got. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 1712325B-7D9A-441F-9030-6129850D34DC.jpeg
    1712325B-7D9A-441F-9030-6129850D34DC.jpeg
    622.6 KB · Views: 76
  • FB5C955A-75C1-459F-842A-3AB35BD34017.jpeg
    FB5C955A-75C1-459F-842A-3AB35BD34017.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 74

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Can someone tell what brand jacket this is? And maybe how old it is? Sorry for the poor quality of pics. It’s all I got. Thanks for any help!

It's a Fidelity, a maker from Boston. They rarely have brand labels, but they do have the "This genuine leather garment" spiel tag. Maybe 80s? The zippers look a bit more recent as opposed to all Talons or something.

Delmared

New in Town
It's a Fidelity, a maker from Boston. They rarely have brand labels, but they do have the "This genuine leather garment" spiel tag. Maybe 80s? The zippers look a bit more recent as opposed to all Talons or something.
Thank you for that information. I think the zippers say “ideal” on them. Wonder what year they used ideal zippers?

Also wondering about quality level of these, too.

Thank you for that information. I think the zippers say “ideal” on them. Wonder what year they used ideal zippers?

Also wondering about quality level of these, too.

70's, okay quality in terms of durability. Typical mid-weight, heavily coated leather of the era. But my suggestion is, don't look too much into it. Dating, hardware, etc. is all a pitfall of uselessness and despair. Ideal, Talon, etc.; It's all the same. If you like the jacket and the leather looks good, you're good.

Delmared

New in Town
70's, okay quality in terms of durability. Typical mid-weight, heavily coated leather of the era. But my suggestion is, don't look too much into it. Dating, hardware, etc. is all a pitfall of uselessness and despair. Ideal, Talon, etc.; It's all the same. If you like the jacket and the leather looks good, you're good.
I really appreciate your point of view and all the details. I learn so much from all of you.

What criteria do you look at when you want to determine the quality? Is “okay” quality typical of 70’s and 80’s Fidelity jackets? I have bought a Cal Leather so far, not sure of age. Member @JMax posted it in Finds thread and he commented that the zippers had been replaced. It has YKKs. I picked it up for $200 and am very happy! Its a Police jacket and I have been out riding with it several times and it fits like a glove. Right now that is all I have for comparison on quality.

What would you say in terms of collectability of a fidelity jackets from the 70’s and 80’s? Just FYI, I could pick this particular jacket up for $50, which seems cheap. Thank you!!

Last edited:
I really appreciate your point of view and all the details. I learn so much from all of you.

What criteria do you look at when you want to determine the quality? Is “okay” quality typical of 70’s and 80’s Fidelity jackets? I have bought a Cal Leather so far, not sure of age. Member @JMax posted it in Finds thread and he commented that the zippers had been replaced. It has YKKs. I picked it up for $200 and am very happy! Its a Police jacket and I have been out riding with it several times and it fits like a glove. Right now that is all I have for comparison on quality.

What would you say in terms of collectability of a fidelity jackets from the 70’s and 80’s? Just FYI, I could pick this particular jacket up for $50, which seems cheap. Thank you!!

Criteria... Hm, good questions. I'm sort of going by the feeling at this point, rather than focusing on something concrete that I could point out 'cause it's a combination of leather, features & pattern for me. 70's leather jackets by known makers were generally very good. The trade's been perfected by this point, simplified too so yeah... Tanning industry sufficiently evolved as well so costs could be cut significantly by using lower-grade, lighter leather but they got the pattern right and the hide was serviceable, though not as nice as what was used in the 50's and the 60's.

Value-wise, Fidelity is as commonly found as Brooks or Sears so it's not very collectible but a lot depends on the era as well. Most Fidelity jackets you'll see around are from the 70's but the 60's ones are rare and extremely nice jackets you definitely ought to look out for - Provided you could ID them. Earlier ones even have Genuine Horsehide tags. These are collectible and always hold some value. The rest... Depends tho mostly not.

But either way, $50 is great. $100 is great! They're good jackets.

Delmared

New in Town
Criteria... Hm, good questions. I'm sort of going by the feeling at this point, rather than focusing on something concrete that I could point out 'cause it's a combination of leather, features & pattern for me. 70's leather jackets by known makers were generally very good. The trade's been perfected by this point, simplified too so yeah... Tanning industry sufficiently evolved as well so costs could be cut significantly by using lower-grade, lighter leather but they got the pattern right and the hide was serviceable, though not as nice as what was used in the 50's and the 60's.

Value-wise, Fidelity is as commonly found as Brooks or Sears so it's not very collectible but a lot depends on the era as well. Most Fidelity jackets you'll see around are from the 70's but the 60's ones are rare and extremely nice jackets you definitely ought to look out for - Provided you could ID them. Earlier ones even have Genuine Horsehide tags. These are collectible and always hold some value. The rest... Depends tho mostly not.

But either way, $50 is great. $100 is great! They're good jackets.
Awesome! Thank you again for your detailed and thoughtful replies!!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I would be interested to know what the reason for the wrinkles in the chest area is. I too have these wrinkles in my jacket. However, the jacket feels perfect in terms of size. On some people these wrinkles are noticable, others don't. Optically, the jackets with the wrinkles look aesthetically perfect to my eye. Those without look a bit too tight in the chest area. This phenomenon can not only be seen in the CR jackets shown here, but also in other cuts... is it a question of body type, cut, leather type (stiffness)... or what else?

Edit: Maybe this topic has already been discussed in another thread, a link would be great...

Himel_58panheadfan.jpg

Attachments

• CR_MrProper.JPG
    CR_MrProper.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 58
  • CR_ton312.JPG
    CR_ton312.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 50
  • kensington_Carlos840.JPG
    kensington_Carlos840.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 55
  • CR_BassandB3.JPG