Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dwilson

A-List Customer
I’m sure this has been asked but what’s the best way of getting rid of cigarette smell? The jacket I bought smells pretty heavy of it. So far I turned it inside out and febreezed the liner a few times then rubbed it down with soapy water. I just used warm water on the leather (also smells) and now it’s hanging outside in the breeze. Still seems to smell though.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Smell wasn’t improving much on the leather so I took drastic measures and soaked the leather a few times in febreeze. Still isn’t perfect but way better than when it first got here. Going to let the leather sit for a day to make sure the cleaner didn’t dry it out too much and may give it another round. Still really happy with it for how little I paid.

80DD6297-2476-4DB9-AEA1-ACD56709615B.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
"Single Rider" Ridleys - Does anybody have one of these or have asked for one of these? Basically a straight zip Ridley. Just checking. Thanks.

Pandemic

One Too Many
1. Does the button on the other side of the Indian Ranger throat tab start to show through the other side with wear? I kind like the look of the tab, but would never use it.

2. Please tAlk me out of selling one of my x-zips to fund a Mr Proper style Ridley. I think I have contracted TFL Syndrome!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
1. Does the button on the other side of the Indian Ranger throat tab start to show through the other side with wear? I kind like the look of the tab, but would never use it.

2. Please tAlk me out of selling one of my x-zips to fund a Mr Proper style Ridley. I think I have contracted TFL Syndrome!
No the button doesn't "imprint" onto the other side. Aero sews the buttons without the backing button but before the leather is assembled. Other makers tends to sew the buttons on after the jacket is assembled, some with backing button and some without and leaving a rough finish on the inside. The Aero button is sewn on pretty good, and reverse side is hidden and sandwiched in the leather layers.

Mr Proper is the Ridley ambassador.

There is a Ridley Indian Ranger out in the wild... HH has link to the guy's Insta account in one of the Aero threads...

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone recommend a high quality leather conditioner (wax or oil) which both has a good smell in order to remove bad smells from leather jackets (one leather jacket was stored in a cellar and one has cigarette smell)? I tried to air the jackets for a couple of days but it doesn't really help and bought a leather conditioner but the smell was disgusting and is only applicable on boots but not on a leather jacket. I've read here that Obenauf's is good stuff but I can't find it in any shop in Germany (or within the EU).

It would be perfect if I could use the conditioner for both leather jackets and leather boots.
I found Smith's leather balm on the Internet but I don't know the smell.

The lining is also smelly and as washing is not an option I guess the only way is to use Febreeze spray.

Thanks,
Robbie

Pandemic

One Too Many
Can anyone recommend a high quality leather conditioner (wax or oil) which both has a good smell in order to remove bad smells from leather jackets (one leather jacket was stored in a cellar and one has cigarette smell)? I tried to air the jackets for a couple of days but it doesn't really help and bought a leather conditioner but the smell was disgusting and is only applicable on boots but not on a leather jacket. I've read here that Obenauf's is good stuff but I can't find it in any shop in Germany (or within the EU).

It would be perfect if I could use the conditioner for both leather jackets and leather boots.

The lining is also smelly and as washing is not an option I guess the only way is to use Febreeze spray.

Thanks,
Robbie
Obernauf’s LP had a nice honey smell to it, but I don’t think it will be strong enough to cover the cigarette smell. It is great on boots - though it does darken then colour.

Have you tried an ionizer?

https://www.ironheartde.com/footwear/obe-hdlp.html

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
@
Obernauf’s LP had a nice honey smell to it, but I don’t think it will be strong enough to cover the cigarette smell. It is great on boots - though it does darken then colour.

Have you tried an ionizer?

https://www.ironheartde.com/footwear/obe-hdlp.html
@Pandemic Thanks for your advice. Yes, I've seen that IH offers Obenauf's but they charge about 20€ for shipping to Germany. That's why I'm searching for good alternatives. No, I haven't tried an ionizer as I don't have one and don't know who offers this service. I still hope that I can make the liner and leather cleaning (basically making it smell good) by myself.

Pandemic

One Too Many
@

@Pandemic Thanks for your advice. Yes, I've seen that IH offers Obenauf's but they charge about 20€ for shipping to Germany. That's why I'm searching for good alternatives. No, I haven't tried an ionizer as I don't have one and don't know who offers this service. I still hope that I can make the liner and leather cleaning (basically making it smell good) by myself.

Ouch! This is another good product with a good smell: https://www.leatherhoney.com/

I would have thought most of the smell would be held in the lining and not the leather - in which case you could try some fabric cleaners.

Good luck!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
don't mask odor with another fragrance, it would be just get mixed into overwhelming mix of smell imo, I use a odor/ bacteria neutralizer solvent sold for dry cleaner, I don't really know the active content of it, but it works in eliminating odor, it evaporates quickly and I really have to leave it in another room right after I spray it because its solvent really stings to the nose and eyes, but somehow it neutralize the smell, probably similar stuff they sell to eliminate pet urine odor on furniture and carpet.

58panheadfan

One Too Many

Thanks,
Robbie
@Robbie79

Lederzentrum.de
You can contact their customer service. They can certainly help and provide you with the products you need. It is also possible to wash a leather jacket with their special products. I did it myself with their leather detergent and color fixation with no problems... they have a wide selection of quality products all about leather care ;)

Last edited:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
don't mask odor with another fragrance, it would be just get mixed into overwhelming mix of smell imo, I use a odor/ bacteria neutralizer solvent sold for dry cleaner, I don't really know the active content of it, but it works in eliminating odor, it evaporates quickly and I really have to leave it in another room right after I spray it because its solvent really stings to the nose and eyes, but somehow it neutralize the smell, probably similar stuff they sell to eliminate pet urine odor on furniture and carpet.
@navetsea Thanks for your advice!
@Robbie79

Lederzentrum.de
You can contact their customer service. They can certainly help and provide you with the products you need. It is also possible to wash a leather jacket with their special products. I did it myself with their leather detergent and color fixation with no problems... they have a wide selection of quality products all about leather care ;)
@58panheadfan Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely get in touch with them!

Peacoat

Bartender
The odor is in the lining as well as the leather shell. Don't waste your time worrying with the shell.

I didn't have an ionizer machine either, and then I got one. I had a minor kitchen fire that left an awful smoke odor. A few minutes with the ionizer took care of it. I have since used it several other times for general sweetening of the air in several rooms of my house.

These generators are safe if the instructions are followed. If not, they can be dangerous to humans and pets. Follow the directions.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thanks again guys for your advice and help! An ionizer currently is not an option as it is too expensive or just 2 or 3 vintage leather jackets and as I don't have a plan to buy more vintage leather jackets for now.
I talked to Lederzentrum who are based in Germany (they are leather experts) and they recommended both airing and depending on type of leather an odor minimizer / neutralizer (they cannot guarantee that it works but maybe around 20€ are worth a try):
https://www.lederzentrum.de/geruchsminderer-250-ml.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ