Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hieu

A-List Customer
Hey guys,
I've been eyeing this Aero half-belt. Can anybody tell me what kind of steerhide this is from the pics? Thanks everyone!
m99771529050_1.jpg

m99771529050_4.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does anybody else use the dictation function this question wise asked using the dictation function. my hand has reverse Lee evolved.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
It’s not Connolly, and it doesn’t look like Horween. Aero used various other steerhides over the years, this is one of those- maybe “Alaskan”…
Interesting, looks very grainy, I've seen many jackets with this type of steerhide out of Japan, I wonder which tannery made it. Most listings don't really have information about tannery in the listing since they're old jackets maybe 3rd or 4th hand lol

KBlake

One Too Many
This is a 5* remake of a jacket another user (coastal file on IG) had made by FL. The jacket is 26” long and I’m 6ft tall. Is it too long? I wear my shirts untucked which looks odd and sloppy with a short jacket imo.

Attachments

• 1D78D556-5EA9-43D9-998D-A38992977426.jpeg
    1D78D556-5EA9-43D9-998D-A38992977426.jpeg
    536.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 9AE873CE-426E-4CB2-A014-4217D84F64E2.jpeg
    9AE873CE-426E-4CB2-A014-4217D84F64E2.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 86EEE1B8-DDAC-4F64-9883-7EE363A795C4.jpeg
    86EEE1B8-DDAC-4F64-9883-7EE363A795C4.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 88

marker2037

Practically Family
While it's not my favorite look, if that's how you wear it, that's how you wear it. While I think the majority of the forum would say get higher rise jeans, tuck your shirt in, and get a shorter jacket, everyone has their own personal preferences. So as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I will add that it's kind of impossible to gauge how it looks in it's entirety without seeing your full body and height. The bathroom selfies make the jacket look too long to me, but it might change my mind if I saw a full shot.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a 5* remake of a jacket another user (coastal file on IG) had made by FL. The jacket is 26” long and I’m 6ft tall. Is it too long? I wear my shirts untucked which looks odd and sloppy with a short jacket imo.
In the pictures, the jacket does look a little long, but that may be because of the shirt.
I am at 6.5 size 26.75 - 27.25 length. Also with low rise jeans and usually untucked. However, my shirts are shortened accordingly so it is more suitable for wearing untucked.

KBlake

One Too Many
In the pictures, the jacket does look a little long, but that may be because of the shirt.
I am at 6.5 size 26.75 - 27.25 length. Also with low rise jeans and usually untucked. However, my shirts are shortened accordingly so it is more suitable for wearing untucked.
Are you 6’5” tall? That’s quite tall!

KBlake

One Too Many
While it's not my favorite look, if that's how you wear it, that's how you wear it. While I think the majority of the forum would say get higher rise jeans, tuck your shirt in, and get a shorter jacket, everyone has their own personal preferences. So as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I will add that it's kind of impossible to gauge how it looks in it's entirety without seeing your full body and height. The bathroom selfies make the jacket look too long to me, but it might change my mind if I saw a full shot.
How’s this? I think that since I do wear my jeans lower and don’t tuck my shirts in the jacket can be longer but the question is whether it’s still too long. I realize that it’s not the “correct” way to wear a jacket by TFL standards but many do nevertheless.

Attachments

• F21376F8-8635-473D-A893-C13AAE2EABE9.jpeg
    F21376F8-8635-473D-A893-C13AAE2EABE9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72

realgone

Familiar Face
Can anyone comment on the fit of an Aero Cafe Racer vs Ridley?
Is the fit similar in cut and in sizing? I have one that fits well, and the other is for sale in a size up.
Any info is helpful, thank you

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can anyone comment on the fit of an Aero Cafe Racer vs Ridley?
Is the fit similar in cut and in sizing? I have one that fits well, and the other is for sale in a size up.
Any info is helpful, thank you
Different cut, different sizing.
What is 44 in the Ridley is 42 in the Café Racer. Armholes are different, Ridley is more comfortable.

marker2037

Practically Family
How’s this? I think that since I do wear my jeans lower and don’t tuck my shirts in the jacket can be longer but the question is whether it’s still too long. I realize that it’s not the “correct” way to wear a jacket by TFL standards but many do nevertheless.
I would say that it's a fine look, particularly if you wear your jackets open. I don't particularly like anything zipped up when the shirt underneath sticks out of the bottom.

Helix

Familiar Face
I've been somewhat hesitant to ask this question because it seems rather basic, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of "drape" as it relates to leather jackets.

I'm more familiar with its use in suiting and similar garments but how would "good" and "bad" drape be defined for leather jackets? It also seems to me that "drape" could change as a jacket breaks in, with folds, creases, etc settling in over time. Perhaps someone could provide some examples to help me visualize?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've been somewhat hesitant to ask this question because it seems rather basic, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of "drape" as it relates to leather jackets.

I'm more familiar with its use in suiting and similar garments but how would "good" and "bad" drape be defined for leather jackets? It also seems to me that "drape" could change as a jacket breaks in, with folds, creases, etc settling in over time. Perhaps someone could provide some examples to help me visualize?
Drape, the leather "suck onto" my body

IMG_3555.JPG

No drape, leather doesn't "suck onto" my body
IMG_7728.JPG

Both jackets are about the same dimensions everywhere. The difference is in the leather. The top one is very soft and "drapey", the bottom one is very pliable (not stiff), but not drapey. The bottom leather is also thicker and more robust so the sleeve "rolls" instead of "creases" like the top one.
It really comes down to personal preference. Both works for me.

hieu

A-List Customer
Hey guys,
I've been eyeing this Aero half-belt. Can anybody tell me what kind of steerhide this is from the pics? Thanks everyone!
This jacket came in today and I think the mystery steerhide is badalassi which if it is I'd be very happy with. It's squeaky, relatively comfortable and has a good amount of grain. Heres a quick pic, let me know what you guys think!

1.jpg

Took a gamble on the fit since the listing didn't have measurements but I think it all turned out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points