Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm not really looking for expensive "super authentic" type of deal, more so I just really like the look of these wire pull tabs and would like to replace a few tabs with them.

Maybe I'll have to get some wire and try to bend them myself.
Well, they're making these repros in Japan. I just don't know how to get them at retail as singles, yet... So NOS is my only option now.
There is a Riri version that is similar and you can get them Riri zips and pulls from Buckleguy. It's not a Conmar/Scovill repro, just a paper clip type zip on a proven modern zip track, reasonably priced, but only up to size 8 and not 10.
1682011175572.png

Rdiggiddy

New in Town
Can anyone tell me how the bottom hem measurement should relate to your actual waist measurement. I would like some room for light layering.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
Truly stupid question. I saw an Indy kangaroo jacket for sale on ebay, and I always like those. However the sleeves have been shortened. This jacket has a blunt sleeve end, no cuffs. Do you think some like dena at great leather could sew on some cuffs in a similar color to lengthen the sleeves? Probably not, but curious if any one has tried it

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can anyone tell me how the bottom hem measurement should relate to your actual waist measurement. I would like some room for light layering.

Your actual waist measurement (even on the jacket) is going to be bigger than the hem even for someone who favours high-waisted trousers and shroter jackets, as the body typically narrows down to the hips.

Truly stupid question. I saw an Indy kangaroo jacket for sale on ebay, and I always like those. However the sleeves have been shortened. This jacket has a blunt sleeve end, no cuffs. Do you think some like dena at great leather could sew on some cuffs in a similar color to lengthen the sleeves? Probably not, but curious if any one has tried it

I can't imagine that would work. I'll add that the Indy kangaroo jacket is built on a longer pattern block than a 'screen accurate' Indy jacket (although in another way it actually is 'screen accurate' as this longer design was chosen for the needs of the stuntmen who perform a live Indy show at Disneyland or somewhere.

So that longer body combined with short, even cuffed, sleeves is going to look very strange. I wish they made the roo leather one in a normal length!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Can the seller send you a pic of the inside of the sleeve. Sometimes they just fold it in to shorten. If there is extra material inside then you can lengthen it back out.

hieu

A-List Customer
Possibly, but i think this is the beginning of the end... the jacket looks pretty toasty and the threads will probably fall apart sooner or later as well...
Not really. Unless its a super rare jacket I don't think the repair effort will pay off.
Thanks guys. The jacket in question is this Los Angeles Sportogs. Hypothetically... in terms self repair, are there any options besides slathering conditioner and urad on the shoulders?

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 07.29.36.png

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Maybe Dena at Great leather can do someting. She did a minor miracle on @jonbuilder white jacket. If you really want to save it and are willing to spend some money, take good closeup pics of the damage and sent to her.

hieu

A-List Customer
Maybe Dena at Great leather can do someting. She did a minor miracle on @jonbuilder white jacket. If you really want to save it and are willing to spend some money, take good closeup pics of the damage and sent to her.
Thanks, that post is a big reason why I'm even considering trying haha. Unfortunately sending it to Dena would be too difficult since I don't live in the US.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I often wondered why it is so difficult to restore cracked leather. After all, dentists restore teeth, right? There should be a compound, a filler, that you apply to damaged areas that simulates leather. But I have not seen one.

jglf

A-List Customer
Wear what you plan on layering and measure from where the jacket hem will be and add a few inches. On my jackets, the waist is more narrow than the hem, as that mirrors the human anatomy of hips being wider than waist. Some short biker models actually taper all the way to the hem because they end above your hips.

Rdiggiddy

New in Town
Wear what you plan on layering and measure from where the jacket hem will be and add a few inches. On my jackets, the waist is more narrow than the hem, as that mirrors the human anatomy of hips being wider than waist. Some short biker models actually taper all the way to the hem because they end above your hips.
Thanks ill give this a shot. The last jacket I tried i could barely do up the zipper and it wasn't that comfortable that way so I'm trying to avoid that with my next one.

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
Hi All,

I am planning to get either the chief coat from heat straps or wills jacket from ship John for my up and coming field construction job in Canada and was wondering if anyone has tried either of these on the site and if it does hold up.
I have both and they're pretty different beasts. The Ship John is nicer finished overall with its custom milled snaps and leather washers, but it's nearly impossible to get! The Chief Coat is made of the same material but lined in a nice quilted fabric which is actually very warm (almost like wearing a sweatshirt beneath) and has a much more generous cut. They can both be put to heavy use, but the lack of supply might take Ship John out of the equation with 2-year wait times.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. The jacket in question is this Los Angeles Sportogs. Hypothetically... in terms self repair, are there any options besides slathering conditioner and urad on the shoulders?

View attachment 511552
Talk to your local cobbler / leather shop guys. Everything can be fixed, just how much effort. My local shop brought one old jacket back alive for a fee:

Image5.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image11.jpg

Some cobblers are extremely good at these repair jobs. The more experience the better.

AHP91

Practically Family
Redirecting to this thread - can anyone identify the jacket in these first few pictures? And secondly, can someone please provide an estimate time period for these C&C zippers in the final two photos? I saw someone asking about these C&C zippers a while back but don't see a response was ever given. Thanks very much

Attachments

• ID6.jpg
    ID6.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 46
  • ID5.jpg
    ID5.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 46
  • ID4.jpg
    ID4.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 45
  • ID3.jpg
    ID3.jpg