Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Exactly, Vanson is the maker which turned on its head what I thought a good leather jacket was, originally I thought it was basically all about the stitching, skived seams, etc. but it's a whole lot more than that I now know.

That also reminds me of this Windward jacket @tmitchell59 posted a little while back. Since the lining is torn through it's interesting to me to see the layers of leather that make up the collar, unskived seams right? I wonder if other parts of the jacket are skived. This example stuck out to me because I thought it was quite neat to look at the construction detail that is usually hidden behind the liner.

As you mentioned skiving is an American vintage technique, I'm wondering which makers employed it? I assume ones who also used fancier construction like french seams?

View attachment 506165
Interesting discussion. Inside of a Seattle Woolen aviator

20230410_121832.jpg
20230410_121828.jpg
20230410_121820.jpg
20230410_121836.jpg
20230410_122739.jpg
20230410_122753.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Interesting. The inside is grainy and not suede fleshy on some of the panels. Most of the fancier repros I have are made similar to this. fold over seams and then topstitched in place. Very luxury look.

What's the back of the collar look like? Does it look like this:
dappers half belt.jpg

Or this:
finecreekco aviator.jpg

Or this:
regius early aviator.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are so many different ways of seam bulk reduction, skiving the edges is just one of the method. You can also fold the seam allowance leather differently to reduce bulk, butterfly, overlap, glue down...etc and more. Delete topstitch will also reduce bulk but doesn't look as permium imo. Or a combination of all the different methods. All roads leads to Rome. Don't sweat over it too much. I have 3 different Model B type jackets in three different leathers from three different production time and they have different seam constructions. Doesn't make one better or worse than the other. If you like the jacket, enjoy it. Usually within the first second handling the jacket in hand will let you know this.

I think there’s a bit of a misunderstanding here. I’m not concerned about the quality of my unskived seam Vanson.

I’m just curious about which contemporary makers don’t skive seams, as a trivia/information thing.

So far it’s:

Aero
SB (sometimes)
Vanson

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I think there’s a bit of a misunderstanding here. I’m not concerned about the quality of my unskived seam Vanson.

I’m just curious about which contemporary makers don’t skive seams, as a trivia/information thing.

So far it’s:

Aero
SB (sometimes)
Vanson
My 80s Schott 618 looks to be non-skived. I don't know about modern scotts though, I don't own one currently.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

So far it’s:

Aero
SB (sometimes)
Vanson
The only way to know for sure is to buy all the jackets from every single brand and open them up, and put the measuring caliper to the leather. I would do it if there is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

There is a good video on youtube showing most of the different garment seams. She didn't go into skiving because most garment leather are thinner so there is no need. She also only used her trimmers on the fashion raw seam, but the same trimming can be done on all the previous seams. There isn't a "best" method. Only the one to achieve the look the designer is going for. Of course heavier weights of leather can use a little trimming here or there but not necessary skiving or not skiving.

I took some screen shots because the video is rather long:

basic blind stitch, butterflied and glued. Most modern cost cutting method, not very fancy, but not a lot of seam bulk either.
Image11.jpg

Same as above but frenched instead of glued
Image12.jpg

Similar to above but smaller frenched, would be the least bulk imo because the extra can be further trimmed down
Image13.jpg

The basic fold over and top stitched, probably the most common seam we see in this realm of leather jackets.
Image14.jpg

Same as above but smaller bead, so could get trimmed back more on the reverse side if needed.
Image15.jpg

Trucker style triple stitch. My favorite. Strongest imo. The seam is held by three stitching, even two fail one will still hold. Although the Aliexpress ones fake this and is really just two top stitched to look like the triple stitched stuff, so stay away from budget, the seams will open up faster than legs.
Image16.jpg

raw edge double stitch. Very fashion, not seen much in this realm of heritage jackets:
Image17.jpg

raw french no blind stitch but with a back strip, also curved. Again not much in this realm of heritage jackets:
Image18a.jpg

extra leather doesn't always need to be skived, it can simply be cut away by hand:
Image18b.jpg

I don't get these open edge seams...
Image18c.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine. It as a 'the bon Marche' label but I'm pretty sure it was made by Seattle Woolen.

View attachment 506341 View attachment 506342

Here's the Seattle Woolen labeled version (not mine)

View attachment 506343 View attachment 506344 View attachment 506345
Real nice. These do indeed look like the more preimum ones. And you're right Bon Marche was from Seattle. Unfortunately it's all just Nordstrom now. The days of the departments stores are limited...

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Hey all,

Was wondering if someone could help me with something.

Regarding the Real Mccoy‘s, I am considering an A-2 jacket but on the label stands B-Mccoy and the other jackets there is „real mccoy“
Is that B-Mcccoy the „Real Mccoy“ please?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 953ECA52-0FC5-498C-A632-2B264AAD3A48.png
    953ECA52-0FC5-498C-A632-2B264AAD3A48.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 37

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Hey all,

Was wondering if someone could help me with something.

Regarding the Real Mccoy‘s, I am considering an A-2 jacket but on the label stands B-Mccoy and the other jackets there is „real mccoy“
Is that B-Mcccoy the „Real Mccoy“ please?

Thanks in advance
Not related to The Real McCoy's much lower quality and price, you can see this from stitch quality and their patterns are quite poor.

As for legit brands: there is The Real McCoy's (who has many sublabels like Joe McCoy, but all in the same RMC brand), Toys McCoy's (entirely separate brand but started by original director of RMC), The Few NZ (original producers of RMC jackets before they moved it to Japan)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does it have mouton in the cuff area? Every Cals I've seen has those comfort strips of mouton.

The all blacked out zips that's repair job right?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24