Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Getting back the patina seems like it would be tough. On the bright side, the stickiness will go away after a while in my experience. Also, I for one think it looks way better with the urad coat.

I did make this jacket new again. Not what I wanted when I bought a vintage jacket, but it did come out nice (if making it new is what I am going for)

For posterity’s sake, anyone worried they may have “ruined” their jacket with Urad, rest assured you did not and cannot. When I use it it can take a jacket to brand new (this is brown Urad, the effects of clear are even more short lived):
Fresh application:
IMG_4269.jpeg

Minimal and inconsistent wear:
IMG_4270.jpeg
IMG_4271.jpeg

I will reapply in fall and it will look just as above by spring.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
For posterity’s sake, anyone worried they may have “ruined” their jacket with Urad, rest assured you did not and cannot. When I use it it can take a jacket to brand new (this is brown Urad, the effects of clear are even more short lived):
Fresh application:
View attachment 503942
Minimal and inconsistent wear:
View attachment 503943 View attachment 503944
I will reapply in fall and it will look just as above by spring.
Sweet jacket. Is Urad waterproof?

Edit: My main goal for applying Urad was to help stabilize the leather to slow down the aging, to seal it if you will. Not necessarily "repair" it. It had a nice patina! In my ignorance I also applied brown Urad not realizing there are different kinds.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
anyone have experience with shoulder width on Aero's primer highwayman jacket?

i usually take 22 to 23.5ptp and 18 to 18.5" shoulder, saw an used jacket with 23ptp and 17.5" shoulder, wonder if that particular pattern can accommodate smaller shoulder measurements?

or is it too small?

jglf

A-List Customer
Really? Thats good to hear! I thought it will go on clear or at least translucent but noooo it dyed it.
You can use fiebing’s deglazer. I find it between isopropyl alcohol and acetone in effectiveness in removing shiny leather coatings. Supposed to be safe on leather.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
You can use fiebing’s deglazer. I find it between isopropyl alcohol and acetone in effectiveness in removing shiny leather coatings. Supposed to be safe on leather.
Its really not the shine that bothered me, its that the patina has been dyed by Urad. Which sucks.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Does anybody happen to know why there would be a button at the cuffs of this jacket ?
s-l400 (2).jpg

The pictures aren't the best and It's not here yet, but it doesn't look like there was ever a strap or anything that has been removed.
I can't imagine these having no purpose but suppose it's possible.
This particular jacket happens to be a Chippewa, so I guess 1962 at the latest for what that's worth.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
Does anybody happen to know why there would be a button at the cuffs of this jacket ?
View attachment 504240
The pictures aren't the best and It's not here yet, but it doesn't look like there was ever a strap or anything that has been removed.
I can't imagine these having no purpose but suppose it's possible.
This particular jacket happens to be a Chippewa, so I guess 1962 at the latest for what that's worth.
Not sure, but I'm seeing it on others too, so yours isn't an outlier. Pulled this photo off etsy.
il_794xN.3527212848_83uo.jpg

newtojackets

Practically Family
shrunken sheep is also my guess.
depending on the type of top coating it can be either stiff (springy) or not (naked no top coat)

who made this jacket? brand?
Sorry, just realised I never responded to this.

It’s actually a fashion jacket from Burberry. Would never pay Burberry prices though, bought it heavily discounted.

Will be posting fit pics soon

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Nah, just the difference between the back length and the front length. I'm not sure about its current drop but it looks like 1'.

Make the back 1 inch shorter and make sure it has a 2' drop. You might end up with the same front length as-is.

Could you measure this...
View attachment 311461

Imo, the back length looks spot on for the style. I don't think a halfbelt should be any longer. That is if you prefer to wear it like they did back in the days.
View attachment 304599

Standard length of the above Hercules was 25.5'. But extra long sizes were available too.

I know @HoosierDaddy thinks your's is too short, but that's because he likes to wear his jackets longer :)

HD (left) and I ( right) have the same Thedi jacket. Mine is much shorter in body and sleeve length. Long story short. It's all about personal preference.
View attachment 304600

Freewheelers Speed Master

View attachment 329746

I've been reading up some on the proper length of a jacket and from what I gathered, a HB and a cafe racer should be shorter than the top pocket on a pair of jeans and about 2" shorter at the back however, JCSD speed master which I think is a cafe-ish racer jacket looks 100% spot on in length and fit yet, it covers the front pockets which is the look I prefer.

I'm not one to follow trends rather I focus on a look that I like and take it from there.

So what is the right length for something like a cafe racer type jacket.

for a size 42, The Vanson's Royale Enfield / Oxfords are about 22.5" front / 27" back while a freewheeler's speed master is a 25.5" front and about the same for the back, the Vanson Manx measures just 19" front and 25" back.

Langlitz jackets have even more variations:
Padded Timberline in Black Cowhide 01.png

Crescent in Black Goatskin 01.png

Is there a length I should stick to or anything that looks good and forget about the "standard lengths" lol?

I've been reading up some on the proper length of a jacket and from what I gathered, a HB and a cafe racer should be shorter than the top pocket on a pair of jeans and about 2" shorter at the back however, JCSD speed master which I think is a cafe-ish racer jacket looks 100% spot on in length and fit yet, it covers the front pockets which is the look I prefer.

I'm not one to follow trends rather I focus on a look that I like and take it from there.

So what is the right length for something like a cafe racer type jacket.

for a size 42, The Vanson's Royale Enfield / Oxfords are about 22.5" front / 27" back while a freewheeler's speed master is a 25.5" front and about the same for the back, the Vanson Manx measures just 19" front and 25" back.

Langlitz jackets have even more variations:
View attachment 504616

View attachment 504617

Is there a length I should stick to or anything that looks good and forget about the "standard lengths" lol?
Older Cafe racers were longer. My vintage 60s jackets are around 25.5in down the back and the zipper starts up a bit from the bottom. I prefer these longer ones to the shorter modern ones. The key is taper through the mid-section. Your bottom example looks too baggy for the length IMO. Here are 3 of mine:
Brooks_Kehoe_comp.jpg
Hl4UJJX.jpg

Last edited:

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Older Cafe racers were longer. My vintage 60s jackets are around 25.5in down the back and the zipper starts up a bit from the bottom. I prefer these longer ones to the shorter modern ones. The key is taper through the mid-section. Your bottom example looks too baggy for the length IMO.

The last one is way too baggy lol. It should fit tighter. I too prefer the longer ones and one of my polo tees is just about the perfect length. It's just an inch below the jean pockets.
I'll try and take a pic later.

I don't think there's one perfect length for a cr. They can good at different lengths.

View attachment 504706
1680746321790.jpeg

Marc is that you too?

The thing I've noticed on a lot of jackets is the back looks "bulky" for lack of a better term. The fact some of the jackets are custom makes it even stranger. Is there a better way like how shirts are made that a jacket has more panels or such that the profile back is cleaner and more tailored?

I'm just wondering as I have little knowledge of leather jackets.

Mawashi

Nacho

Practically Family
Its really not the shine that bothered me, its that the patina has been dyed by Urad. Which sucks.
You can try Angelus Foam Tex since it's a light cleaner. It doesn't go deep into the leather so it might just strip off the surface layer of Urad to somewhat bring back the patina. When you give Foam Tex (or any cleaner for that matter) a try, do it first in the area of the jacket where if you mess up, it's not going to be noticeable like the armpits. Then move to other areas of the jacket slowly, from less visible to more visible. Apply it many times to see result.

I use Foam Tex a lot to clean suede and nubuck boots in my cobbler job. And the results usually turn out great.

Stay away from harder cleaners like Saphir Renomat because it will strip everything off. I only use it to strip LAYERS of polish before applying a new coat to a shoes. So I don't think it's a smart move to use it on your jacket.

Here is a screenshot of the cleaner. Give it a shot, man!

IMG_4800.JPG

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The last one is way too baggy lol. It should fit tighter. I too prefer the longer ones and one of my polo tees is just about the perfect length. It's just an inch below the jean pockets.
I'll try and take a pic later.

View attachment 504861

Marc is that you too?

The thing I've noticed on a lot of jackets is the back looks "bulky" for lack of a better term. The fact some of the jackets are custom makes it even stranger. Is there a better way like how shirts are made that a jacket has more panels or such that the profile back is cleaner and more tailored?

I'm just wondering as I have little knowledge of leather jackets.

Mawashi
Yeah that's me lol. With a big smile on my face because that was a brand new Field Leathers I was wearing :)

The bulkiness depends on the pattern, it can be a lot of things. More panels give more opportunity to shape the back but a two panel cafe racer can be perfectly hourglass shaped without any bulk.

@MrProper is the master of non-bulky fits :) Maybe he has some advice for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21