Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That brings up a related question: what if I wanted to wax/buff a brown Vanson like this? Thanks again @El Marro !!
Leave it alone? or...?

View attachment 541981 \
Well I don’t think you could hurt that leather even if you tried so I would say have at it. I have not had much experience with leather treatments, though, Pecards is really the only thing I have used. It might quiet down a squeaky jacket for a short period of time but the noise usually comes right back once it is absorbed.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
those old Vanson horsehides were very similar to cxl. At least the one I had was like that. I just took my horsehair brush and gave it a good brush. Shiny like new.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Anyone has the back of this Trojan jacket. Thanks.

View attachment 541951
View attachment 541952
@Canuck Panda Here we go: shown in Deerskin Version

IMG_2361.jpeg

Gromit

New in Town
Does anyone know where one can purchase a similar suede jacket with a chest pocket?

Attachments

• Videodrome (1983) (1080p BluRay x265 Silence).mkv_snapshot_00.58.23_[2023.08.23_18.05.20].jpg
    Videodrome (1983) (1080p BluRay x265 Silence).mkv_snapshot_00.58.23_[2023.08.23_18.05.20].jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 58

Gromit

New in Town
Search eBay for "1950s leather jacket". They usually didn't come with a chest pocket though.
Yep but I am looking specifically for one with a chest pocket... no luck yet. I guess the vintage ones with a chest pocket are quite rare to come across

Last edited:

jauregui

Familiar Face
Anything with an acrylic based dye is gonna squeak, the newer the squeakier. Conditioning only mute the sounds until the conditioning gets soaked through then it's just the acrylic coating again, and squeak continues, until it doesn't.
Wax actually mute the sounds for longer, it doesn't really penetrate the leather unless with pressure and heat, and takes time to rub off.
Best is wax and light buffing. The wax mute the sounds immediately, the buffing will "damage" the acrylic top coat and replace the mini craters with wax so everything in theory should still be good.
Or just wear until it stops squeaking.
The Victoria SRL horsehides varies a lot between batch to batch, but I too have squeaky ones from them. Not saying Shinki pigment is the better leather, but it does come with a wax coating from the factory. Very evident when you put the two side by side.
Totally agree with Panda. I have also come to depend on heat to penetrate the hide. The best and safest way is to hang the jacket in a hot attic or inside a hot car (window slightly open). Make sure that if you hang inside a car the light does not hit the jacket directly.

jauregui

Familiar Face

Attachments

• trojan lining.jpg
    trojan lining.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 47
  • trojan front.jpg
    trojan front.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 50
  • trojan back.jpg
    trojan back.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 52