Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
A question about the Indiana Jones jacket, what category would this design fall under? Cossack? Or Civilian flight jacket? Or something else? Thanks.

Biff42

One of the Regulars
A question about the Indiana Jones jacket, what category would this design fall under? Cossack? Or Civilian flight jacket? Or something else? Thanks.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...w-with-costume-designer-deborah-landis.73974/

""So he sent me the script. The script made absolutely no sense to me because it had lots of ghosts coming out of the Ark of the Covenant, and you're trying to imagine what it’s like on paper, and that's hard, right? So I read the script, and then I came back down to LA and we continued to talk about it. Steven and I sat and watched a couple of movies together. We watched China, which is an Alan Ladd picture from the 1940s; we watched the Lost Treasure of the Incas, starring Charlton Heston as Harry Steele. It was made in 1952, and he [Heston] really wears the costume, more or less, of Indiana Jones. Then I watched The Greatest Show on Earth, in which Charlton Heston wears a brown leather jacket and a brown fedora, pretty much the costume of Indiana Jones. And if that wasn’t enough, Steven used to run Saturday morning adventure serials, where a lot of these guys, because it was just post-war, were wearing flight jackets and brown fedoras."

I believe Deborah Landis also created the Thriller jacket.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...w-with-costume-designer-deborah-landis.73974/

""So he sent me the script. The script made absolutely no sense to me because it had lots of ghosts coming out of the Ark of the Covenant, and you're trying to imagine what it’s like on paper, and that's hard, right? So I read the script, and then I came back down to LA and we continued to talk about it. Steven and I sat and watched a couple of movies together. We watched China, which is an Alan Ladd picture from the 1940s; we watched the Lost Treasure of the Incas, starring Charlton Heston as Harry Steele. It was made in 1952, and he [Heston] really wears the costume, more or less, of Indiana Jones. Then I watched The Greatest Show on Earth, in which Charlton Heston wears a brown leather jacket and a brown fedora, pretty much the costume of Indiana Jones. And if that wasn’t enough, Steven used to run Saturday morning adventure serials, where a lot of these guys, because it was just post-war, were wearing flight jackets and brown fedoras."

I believe Deborah Landis also created the Thriller jacket.
Deborah Landis is very talent indeed.

I‘m hanging my Indie jacket with my A2 jackets for now.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Can someone explain to me down leather vest? I keep seeing them on JP sites (for example, Rainbow Country). Do people actually wear it? How would you style it? what/when do you wear (with)?

Logistically, how do you wash the down (inside the vest) after each season without ruining the leather?

The Shoe

One Too Many
When I bought my Schott horsehide Perfecto last year, I promised myself not to go down the wormhole that is leather jackets. But I happened upon a good looking, very reasonably priced Vanson and it has me thinking about breaking that promise.
When I bought the Schott, I tried a size 36, and the guy at the shop said it was a good fit, and it felt alright. But when I tried a size 38, it was clear to all of us that it was a slightly better fit, so that’s what I went for.
Can I feel confident going for a size 38 single riders From Vanson, or is there significant variation between makers?

unhatted

One of the Regulars
A 38 isn’t even the same across different* Schott jackets I’m afraid! It’s a good place to start though…

[edit] *it isn’t even the same across the same jacket from different years!
When I bought my Schott horsehide Perfecto last year, I promised myself not to go down the wormhole that is leather jackets. But I happened upon a good looking, very reasonably priced Vanson and it has me thinking about breaking that promise.
When I bought the Schott, I tried a size 36, and the guy at the shop said it was a good fit, and it felt alright. But when I tried a size 38, it was clear to all of us that it was a slightly better fit, so that’s what I went for.
Can I feel confident going for a size 38 single riders From Vanson, or is there significant variation between makers?

Last edited:

Hopefully one of the Schott aficionados with Vanson experience will report. @Aloysius @Monitor @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead I’m missing some.

Like was said, lots of variation between and within makers. Whoever can help will ask for jacket details.

Vanson is amazing. One of my favorites. I’m know little of Schott fit. Just enough to be supremely dangerous.

cbez

One Too Many
Can someone explain to me down leather vest? I keep seeing them on JP sites (for example, Rainbow Country). Do people actually wear it? How would you style it? what/when do you wear (with)?

Logistically, how do you wash the down (inside the vest) after each season without ruining the leather?
Why would you need to wash it??

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hopefully one of the Schott aficionados with Vanson experience will report. @Aloysius @Monitor @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead I’m missing some.

Like was said, lots of variation between and within makers. Whoever can help will ask for jacket details.

Vanson is amazing. One of my favorites. I’m know little of Schott fit. Just enough to be supremely dangerous.

Can't speak to either brand because the guy is in Japan.

I've seen Japan-market Schotts in size "38" that are a tight fit on a skinny short guy with a 34 chest. No idea if Vanson Japan gets to determine its own size labeling too.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Why would you need to wash it??

Down (feathers) gets soaked by sweat over time and loses its insulating property. It becomes sticky and gross. It requires washing once every season/every few seasons (if pushing it).

I haven’t owned a leather down vest so idk if leather would absorb all the sweat and prevent the sweat to get into the down…

cbez

One Too Many
I can't imagine your sweat would get thru finished leather and soak the lining unless you went full KG

as far as the why, down vests are trendy in jp as is horsehide, so it's a way to make it an 'artisanal' 'luxury' vest.
160074138.0.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
A 38 isn’t even the same across different* Schott jackets I’m afraid! It’s a good place to start though…

[edit] *it isn’t even the same across the same jacket from different years!

Can't speak to either brand because the guy is in Japan.

I've seen Japan-market Schotts in size "38" that are a tight fit on a skinny short guy with a 34 chest. No idea if Vanson Japan gets to determine its own size labeling too.
Thanks, guys.
Clearly, I need to get measurements from the seller, which would always be a sensible thing to do anyway. I appreciate your input.

Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24