Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Thanx all -- I really like this one, I think. I'm thinking I might make the long-sleeve version for winter.

Here's the pattern --

qsimp2914.jpg

The gal in the picture is a lot skinnier than I am, probably doesn't eat as many hamburgers. But you get the idea.

The fabric is the softest broadcloth I've ever found at Wal Mart -- it seemed very stiff when it came off the bolt, and I wasn't sure if it was going to work. But when I washed it for shrinkage, it came out with a very nice finish. It might have actually been intended as quilting fabric, but it softened right up.

It's hard telling what you'll find on those bargain tables, but sometimes you get lucky!

Weird! I just posted this same thing (about the girl being skinner) in my online blog about a half hour ago! I made a dress last night and was talking about it! Weird!!!

ricki

Familiar Face
Thanks jitterbugdoll! I've made a couple of jumpers before so I wanted to do something different. I love the points at the top of this skirt.

Speaking of jumpers, I have a picture of one I made a couple of years ago:
132587379_19a3a31904_m.jpg

(Larger image)

ricki

Familiar Face
The blouse is from ebay. It's super cute, but really short so I can only wear it with high-waisted bottoms.

I'm a pretty novice "seamstress" and I thought making the skirt was pretty easy. It's an 8 gore skirt, with a front belt piece and a back belt piece. (It ends up being 14 pieces if you count the inside of the belt.) I think most of the a-line skirts from this period are going to be about the same in terms of difficulty, so you have a couple of options. (If you're looking for a starter project, I think skirts are the easiest and most forgiving, as opposed to say shirts. Some pants patterns can be simple, but they're also harder to fit.)

If you haven't made anything before, I think it's worth it to sit down with a friend or family member who sews and have them show the ropes of using your machine, laying out the pattern, pinning, etc. Or, if that's not an option, taking a sewing class though a sewing store. There's a lot of tricks that you learn from other people that might take a while to figure out on your own.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
So cute-- I love the blouse you are wearing, too.

Was the first skirt easy to make? I am looking for a simple starter project as I would like to learn to sew my own clothing.

Jitterbug Doll... Let me suggest getting an old sewing book as well (if you don't already have one). I have found the ones my mother gave me to be quite helpful when sewing my vintage patterns.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I work with a lady who has offered to teach me how to sew; I'm actually going to bring my patterns to her tomorrow so that we can pick one out to make. I have actually sewed some (I even made a nurse's uniform for the USO one year) but I think I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I never get around to starting anything :)

I have a great Singer sewing machine from the early 60s as well as several vintage and modern how-to books, but I need someone to sit with me until I get the hang of it!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very cute work, Ricki! (And welcome to the lounge from another New England gal!)

I'll second your comments on skirts being good starter projects -- they're great for getting a feel for following a pattern, and you end up with a very functional, practical garment to wear!

ricki

Familiar Face
Thanks Lizzie, Daisy and Decodoll!

And to the Bostonians/New Englanders: let me know the next time you're heading out to Bobby's. I still haven't been there!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap wow...great job Ricki! And welcome to the lounge! :) I love the black and white together...very cute.
Jitterbug, I'm going to have someone teach me how to sew also...I don't know about you, but, reading directions from a book is like reading a foreign language [huh] I need to be shown by hands on experience! Good luck! and I hope you enjoy learning to sew!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy