Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I got a Whippet and thought it was a size 7 when I was first bidding. Then a note was added to the auction that it is really 7-1/4.

When it came, I was thinking of selling it, but after stuffing the band, I think I'll keep it. It's in great shape, anyway...

5321590262_3de3d5e677.jpg

Nice, MV, but it looks a little big for you. Send it to me if you like? :D

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
That brim has a lot of curl, fluteplayer07!

That's how it came to me. This Whippet had always seemed an enigma to me. A highly curled brim that is much stingier than most other Whippets, regardless of how the curl affects the appearance. I think there was discussion on the variance of a model's style over time; it was determined that, like cars, hat designs, even under the same name, changed their details slightly to move with the times and remain fresh in buyer's eyes. Not anything major, but a different shade of a sweat here, smaller brim there, etc., etc., and this may just be a manifestation of that. My belief for it, anyways.

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Really? I only have 2 1/4" on mine.

Mine is later 50's, when brims started shrinking considerably; compared to your 40's hat.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
That would be my guess.

By the way, I am taking this Whippet of mine to Washington D.C. with me later today.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, my Whippet box came in today...

5350067462_f461eed1e7.jpg

5349456249_e8cbbe66ea.jpg

5349456323_067b17bb1e.jpg

Coincidentally, inside the hat box was some vintage (meaning old! LOL) segments of white felt that was used for someone's hat as a sweatband spacer. Oddly enough, my own Whippet is a size too big for me and these pieces of old felt came in mighty handy!!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
One major scuff (you can see it in the 2nd pic at the bottom left), but otherwise in good shape. Also had the hatform/hat keeper cardboard ring in it. I don't think I could find too many in better shape.
Color me satisfied.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Coincidentally, inside the hat box was some vintage (meaning old! LOL) segments of white felt that was used for someone's hat as a sweatband spacer. Oddly enough, my own Whippet is a size too big for me and these pieces of old felt came in mighty handy!![/QUOTE]

Now if your noggin is as vintage as the hat, box and felt spacers it all should fit perfectly :) Nice find !!
Onward thru the Fog :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Man, there is a beautiful green Whippet on ebay right now. The price is out of my range right now otherwise I think I'd be bidding on it too. I'll have to watch this one and see where it goes. Hope that one of you guys get it.
I've always wanted a green Whippet, something about them is just so classy and casual at the same time. Well, I suppose when I get some coin in my pocket I can have Art craft me a Whippet clone.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats