Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Inspired by my man Fruno
I figured I'd take my dog to the track.
She should be part of this thread

0cbe25f2a9c4a30ecbd02cf4ed22bba4.jpg

0afdfd4dbc4d4ebaa11d8e4ed82bfc60.jpg

51885b18454171fa3a7c7654d8cf1070.jpg

b9d6b8fa547f45a14f8f16fb0f3c8844.jpg

d39247c038a21f000c3ac8df6aa1fa01.jpg

7dc38ba01b2eb8664c57678c6f2f2a03.jpg

642c7f28ba926ea4810e16e5ea8db09b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a gorgeous hat, buddy. Great color, and looks to be in very good condition, with the box to boot!

How is the felt on the Vita Felt process model compared to the standard felt? I do not own a vita felt, so I am curious.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
That is a gorgeous hat, buddy. Great color, and looks to be in very good condition, with the box to boot!

How is the felt on the Vita Felt process model compared to the standard felt? I do not own a vita felt, so I am curious.

thanks Harv... she's a beauty

the felt is very very soft and pliable ... but it is not a whole lot different from a lot of my 1940s hats

from what I understand ... no one really knows what "Vita-Felt" is exactly

supposedly it was a process that they were forced to change around war time ?

also I have heard that it was a felt that they designed to try to rival what Borsalino was putting out at the time

I love this hat ... it is my only Whippet.. but I am looking to change that soon :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Moon; I echo Tommy's ID of the special vital features of the hat - Grand! Not all Stetson Whippets are created equal. Yours is a special one. Congrats sir. Your hat rack has many special fedoras that hat cognoscentes seek. I look forward to seeing more of the hat in your postings.

Best, Eric -

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thank you for all the kind words on the Whippet friends

she's a great piece indeed

but if I could find a Whippet in the color of Frunos new piece that would kick it up a notch for me

Fruno I was really inspired by your scoop man ... that thing is just gorgeous

looking forward to seeing more of it in the future

I still gotta wear it out of the house. It's sitting there in the other room right now. I can hear it taunting me, "Wear me, wear me!"

I can predict a lot of head time in cooler weather, though.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Low interest in Whippets lately. So I decided to post this one. It's an interesting specimen. Great chocolate brown with lighter brown ribbon. Royal Stetson liner with the Whippet mark on the front of the sweatband. The brim treatment is what I found particularly interesting. It has the larger portion of the brim binding, 5/8", on the top of the brim and wraps over for a 1/4" underneath. The main ribbon is 1 11/16" and has a vertical ribbing, as does the brim binding. Sorry to say this near mint Whippet is a little pup, 6 3/4.

B

IMG_1087 (850x1024).jpg
IMG_1088 (1024x676).jpg
IMG_1089 (712x1024).jpg
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

This was a 3X I recently ran across and sold on the bay. Very Whippet-ish. The brim binding is the opposite, with the stitch line on the top.

Sweet one, Frun. Do you recall if the brim binding on the underside went up to the corresponding (top) stitch line; that is much further onto the brim than on top? (Like a Homburg edge binding might be applied)

cmoy

One of the Regulars
Newbie here! AWESOME Whippets guys! I love all the colors! I recently got my first Stetson and it's a Whippet. I've been toying with picking up a new Stetsonian but wanted vintage instead. After a long search on the Bay I found one. Not the color I wanted but it was my size and looked pretty clean. It arrived the other day and I LOVE it! I love the feel of the felt! I love the proportions! I love the color! And the most important, my wife loves it! :D I am hooked! I want every cooler there is LOL From reading all the posts from this thread I'm guessing mine is from the mid 50's, leaf on logo. It doesn't have a plastic liner protector tho. It doesn't look like it ever had one. It has a 2 1/2" brim with a 3/8" grosgrain edge. The ribbon is 1 1/2". I forgot the measure the crown opened. As shown here it's about 4 1/2". I did a quick diamond crown. When I have some time I will try to clean it up even though I like it a bit messy like on my pic. I definitely needs some steam on the brim. It keeps trying to snap back up. The brim by the bow also dips down when I'm wearing it. I guess it's the shape of my round head. I'll see if steam can fix this. Anyways, glad I can now contribute to the forum and hope to contribute more when I get more Whippets :D

i-br3bpgG.jpg

i-zb9R84N.jpg

The hat looks blotchy here but it's actually very clean and the color is a solid gray with no discoloring.
i-BHRPPP9.jpg

i-rzwJWPQ.jpg

i-TRCmpfF.jpg

i-72TWS7R.jpg

This is the only tag I could find under the sweat band. I want to check again but as you can see the thread looks loose. I'm going to leave it alone. I don't want it to come apart. BTW what does 839 stand for?
i-7sQ3PtK.jpg

i-gS5jDb9.jpg

i-PbzJv3G.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Newbie here! AWESOME Whippets guys! I love all the colors! I recently got my first Stetson and it's a Whippet. I've been toying with picking up a new Stetsonian but wanted vintage instead. After a long search on the Bay I found one. Not the color I wanted but it was my size and looked pretty clean. It arrived the other day and I LOVE it! I love the feel of the felt! I love the proportions! I love the color! And the most important, my wife loves it! :D I am hooked! I want every cooler there is LOL From reading all the posts from this thread I'm guessing mine is from the mid 50's, leaf on logo. It doesn't have a plastic liner protector tho. It doesn't look like it ever had one. It has a 2 1/2" brim with a 3/8" grosgrain edge. The ribbon is 1 1/2". I forgot the measure the crown opened. As shown here it's about 4 1/2". I did a quick diamond crown. When I have some time I will try to clean it up even though I like it a bit messy like on my pic. I definitely needs some steam on the brim. It keeps trying to snap back up. The brim by the bow also dips down when I'm wearing it. I guess it's the shape of my round head. I'll see if steam can fix this. Anyways, glad I can now contribute to the forum and hope to contribute more when I get more Whippets :D

i-br3bpgG.jpg

i-zb9R84N.jpg

The hat looks blotchy here but it's actually very clean and the color is a solid gray with no discoloring.
i-BHRPPP9.jpg

i-rzwJWPQ.jpg

i-TRCmpfF.jpg

i-72TWS7R.jpg

This is the only tag I could find under the sweat band. I want to check again but as you can see the thread looks loose. I'm going to leave it alone. I don't want it to come apart. BTW what does 839 stand for?
i-7sQ3PtK.jpg

i-gS5jDb9.jpg

i-PbzJv3G.jpg
beautiful !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto